feeling hostel

RnJ

PilgrimAflame
StP Supporter
Reaction score
I agree with bote about how people percieve the travel as the price to pay for a week at whatever resort they go to. I have also found it interesting that people say things like "I can't afford to travel," when in actuality they only mean "I can't afford to fly to a third-world country and sit on the beach with unlimited drinks and a tour guide to take me on an 'adventure'"

I went international thinking all "backpackers" would be the raddest people one could meet...
I came back being utterly annoyed by most of them...

bote

Reaction score
I`m at a hostel today doing laundry and chilling in Lima Peru, I hitched down from Quito and got here pretty dirty yesterday. This one is nice though, a really old Spanish Colonial style house with oil paintings all over and giant, gilded mirrors, and plaster busts of whoever (there`s one on the nighttable next to my head for my to hang my hat on), and 4 bucks a night. Not punk, but every now and then it`s good for a body to get a full night`s rest, and Lima might not be the best place to sleep in the park, although really I don`t know and everywhere else I`ve slept unmolested in Peru, though mostly in fields and such.

stellaxtara

Reaction score
I agree with bote about how people percieve the travel as the price to pay for a week at whatever resort they go to. I have also found it interesting that people say things like "I can't afford to travel," when in actuality they only mean "I can't afford to fly to a third-world country and sit on the beach with unlimited drinks and a tour guide to take me on an 'adventure'"

I went international thinking all "backpackers" would be the raddest people one could meet...
I came back being utterly annoyed by most of them...

Agreed. I haven't ever stayed in a hostel in the US I was hoping it would be like... well europe, central america & canada... I guess THAT bubble has burst. Wamp fucking wamp wamp.

Diagaro

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
if yo ever been to jail/prison your fear of ppl seeing your junk goes right out hte window. cry some more insecure private showeres

billstack

Reaction score
I know its an old post but heres a good little trick I picked up. Goto the hostel and walk in like you own the place and goto an open room and sleep, or if their locked, goto the shower or raid the communal food stash. at most hostels the front desk clerk is usually not even there.

35$? i could buy a weeks of groceries/beer and id probably get a better nightts sleep outside. The one in winnipeg is worse than jail, dont go there

RnJ

PilgrimAflame
StP Supporter
Reaction score
You mean the Occidental? Or the house with a few rooms? Or the HI hostel (which is the only one Winnipeg has now, from what I understand). I think the HI, just off Ellice, and beside the LO-pub which is where all the hipsters used to go (til their scene got "blown up") is actually the best one Winnipeg has ever had. But yeah, still up there in price. Ridiculous. Plus hostels are usually noisey. Honestly, I don't know where in Winnipeg I'd want to sleep at night. I'm living right downtown, and I'd want to get at least 20 blocks East or South for the night.

About us

• Squat the Planet is the world's largest social network for misfit travelers. Join our community of do-it-yourself nomads and learn how to explore the world by any means necessary.

More Info

Latest Library Uploads