EV Vans

MoralImperative

Reaction score
This might be a somewhat privileged thing to talk about since EVs are expensive compared to ICEs, but when they actually are available to buy, EV vans seem like a great option for rubber tramping. Don't have to pay for gas and depending on the type of charging station, you could charge for free (or pay but still pay less than gas prices).

The ID.buzz is coming to the US soon and Ford is working on a Winnebago EV. They seems like decent candidates for EVs to live out of.

Anyone have any thoughts or experiences on these?

ali

Reaction score
Living out of an electric van would be so great. I looked into it when i was based in Canada a few years ago, but they haven't properly hit the mainstream market in North America yet. Still, it's only a matter of time because lots of jurisdictions are on track to go to 100% EV for new vehicle sales within the next 10 years or so. As more EVs hit the roads, more fast charging stations will appear, which will make it easier to take these things out to remote areas. You can probably do it right now by paying for overnight stays in 50A RV spots, plus hooking into fast charging stations in or close to state and national parks.

It probably won't be a realistic low budget option for quite a while, though. It's too bad that car manufacturers haven't come up with an "open source EV" where you can just buy the chassis and then put whatever lego body on top of it that you like, since i imagine low end travelers would be happy with a bare bones station wagon style setup rather than a snazzy RV with all the bells and whistles, or even a minivan aimed at the middle class suburban crowd.

I think the best option right now for people living in North America would be to buy an electric SUV and tow a small caravan. Some guys in Norway tried it a few years ago: The very first test of three electric cars with caravans - https://elbil.no/the-very-first-test-of-three-electric-cars-with-caravans/ It'll halve your range and it's not stealth, but if you want to live out of a real EV and fuck ICE forever, it seems like the most accessible way. For now, personally, i am sticking with bikes and public transport, but i reckon in ~20 years a full-time RVer lifestyle in an EV should definitely be affordable for budget travelers.

dekuramen

Reaction score
I'm attempting a new lifestyle with a small 13ft fiberglass camper towed by an electric car. 420km range when not towing, 210km when towing. Free Fast Charging (Supercharging) included with the car. I have a LFP battery called EcoFlow Delta Pro (3.6kWh) and the ability to charge my car @ 120V/24A. Recharging via solar/generator/public EV charger with the battery. Looking to invest in solar and a backup ALP propane generator or similar. I have a 1500W sine inverter connected to the 12V of my car that is maintained by the DCDC and HV battery, useful for charging up the trailer battery in a pinch. I have a cubic mini wood stove and EcoFlow heat pump for climate control.

Any gear recommendations or tips? Stoked to see more EV/RV nomads out there.
1000021830.jpg

Big George W

Humanist
Reaction score
Website
mewe.com
I'm at a point in my life where my 1986 Ford Country Squire Wagon is starting to really show it's age, and I'm very seriously looking into going the EV route, definately within a few years, actually probably sooner than that.

I was listening to a radio program, and the man was stating how with the EV vehicles, there is no maintaince - I mean, there is always going to be something but you have none of the nonsense that you have to deal with - with gas and diesel vehicles.

He mentioned how even brakes are not something to worry about since the electric motor does the braking - and if it's anything like the electric forklifts I drive at work, that is a fact - I never use the brake pedal on that machine because the motor slows and stops me.

So, while EV's are expensive, when one factors in the reduced amount of maintaince, long term it's probably the best way to go.

I'm going to save that link which the OP posted regarding the VW,

If I can fit in it, I'm going to seriously consider getting one ASAP once I can afford to do so.

Thanks for making this post, although I'm not looking to rubber tramp at this point in time, I'm really liking all the suggestions being made here a whole lot.

Cheers everybody,

About us

• Squat the Planet is the world's largest social network for misfit travelers. Join our community of do-it-yourself nomads and learn how to explore the world by any means necessary.

More Info

Latest Library Uploads