Electric guitars? Can it be done?

thdoctada

Reaction score
Look, I have to be honest, I know my acoustic is lighter and cheaper to replace. I know I am not as attached to it as well. But damn it, I am really an electric Guitarist. My Strat, hardshell case, and Pignose Amp would probably add up to just over 15 Lbs. But I know I really want it and that is why the question keeps popping back into my mind. 15 Lbs of Music gear is a lot, but being a blues player, not only does my mobile rig have the sound, it's got the look. My Strat has been my main instrument going on 20 years. And have totally carried miles plenty of times. Almost to the point that I know full well that you almost just get used to it. But the gear kit I am planning, plus clothes, food, and water is looking to be an estimated 35-40 Lbs. Can someone attempt to talk some fucking sense into my head?

MetalBryan

Reaction score
I have explored many options like this during the pandemic.

Yamaha makes a $900 (well, two years ago prices) ultra-quiet gasoline generator that puts out enough juice to power 2 full bands & 2 PAs, by my estimate. I believe it is 12lbs with a full tank. I intended to roll up on an outdoor DIY show with this mounted to my bicycle and power a few sets assuming the band brought their gear.

As a solo "musician", I like the Pignose series I gave them serious consideration. There's also a guy out of Canada that may still build (by hand, so slow turnaround) amazing USB battery amps for their weight and output. Better than Pignose, but also a $600 (CAD) pricetag.

Are you busking by yourself? Many musicians rated the Roland Cube Street amp sufficient for busking you might look at that as well. It is maybe the smallest amp that was well rated in my search. However, if I were playing in a band, I would consider the Pignose for it's extra power.

I settled on the 7watt Boss Katana mini for its size and price point ($100). It takes 6 AA batteries and while I cannot attest to battery life (specs boast 6hrs continuous) I think it fills the room and would play great outside. It is also a lighter and more compact than a Pignose.

A more radical suggestion you might also consider, since it will be protected in a hardshell, carving out some of the body of your strat with simple woodworking tools. If you were meticulous I bet you could get a couple pounds of wood out of there without sacrificing structure. I only suggest this because you intend to play outdoors, in noisy spaces, with small gear - tone isn't going to be as big of a factor.

Please let me know how it goes!

Lithium21

Reaction score
Damn that’s a lot of weight. It’ll either make us or break ya. Only way to find out. Wht about those cute traveling guitars? Those save space and weight. I tried bringing my acoustic with me on freight but that shit didn’t last long. All the pieces are probably still at the hop out in kcmo. Ugh I should have saved for that hard case. I can only imagine the spange from playing the blues with a nice strat and amo rock on best of luck.

thdoctada

Reaction score
Well, I have really thought about it and have decided to save up and get a Martin Backpacker. Not cheap, but I have played them a lot, so I know what I am getting. A pretty damn good, almost indestructible, "what is that? Oh, it's a little guitar.", Kind of guitar. But I will still sound like me. I could always take my strat if and when I go rubber tramping someday. I put a lot of thought into all my other backpacking gear and throwing it all away on something so extravagant that it borders on pretty stupid would be foolish.

Edit:
Should have looked at those Traveler guitars first. All together that would be 8 lbs. Which is probably about what my current acoustic weighs. An electric rig that is 3 lbs. Heavier than a Martine backpacker? That sounds pretty reasonable.

Last edited:

About us

• Squat the Planet is the world's largest social network for misfit travelers. Join our community of do-it-yourself nomads and learn how to explore the world by any means necessary.

More Info

Latest Library Uploads