Eating Utensils / Cutlery | Squat the Planet

Eating Utensils / Cutlery

RnJ

PilgrimAflame
StP Supporter
Reaction score
I used to pack some random thrifted stainless steel stuff in the past, but then got sick of losing them all the time, and trying to find each item scattered around in my pack. Then I switched to plastic which is easily found and replaced if necessary, but they tend to break in my pack. Now I'm thinking of getting a decent camping/travel eating utensil kit that is durable, but also that stays together in some way -- that way I won't lose it or break it. I thought there was some handy ones for dangling off the belt via a carabiner, but I can't seem to find those in as compact a version as I hoped.

What are you using for this, and can you recommend something like what I'm looking for?

bryanpaul

Reaction score
i always did the thrift store thing....actually it became kind of an addiction....i'd walk into a goodwill and go straight for the pots and pans and utensils...even tho i already had what i needed........ one trick, if youre trying to caribiner your utensils is to find a thin, easily bendable fork and spoon and take a pair of pliers or a multitool and bend a loop in the handle...then you can strap it wherever

D

Deleted member 125

fold in half and/or punch a hole in it to dangle. i hate to say anything good about walmart, but their cooking stuff isnt half bad for how much it costs. and they do still sell that "grease" pot which is on point.

Unslap

Reaction score
All i use is a thrifted spoon and one of those can openers where you punch holes around the side. I bent the end of the spoon in a loop with pliers yesterday and put a carabiner through it, will do the same with a keyring on the can opener. Clip that to my pants, yeah

Doc Road

Reaction score
one spoon,two chop sticks. It turns out that cultures that eat with sticks,do so because forks and knifes are tools of aggression and therefor not used for nourishment. Iv seen a tool that cheeps your sticks together and turns them into a spoon,they think of every thing.

machzorton

Has yet to join the board
Reaction score
This is what i use. cost $3.49
http://www.cabelas.ca/index.cfm?pageID=71&&section=1185&section2=1248&ID=2173
spoon stuff.jpg

RnJ

PilgrimAflame
StP Supporter
Reaction score
i always did the thrift store thing....actually it became kind of an addiction....i'd walk into a goodwill and go straight for the pots and pans and utensils...even tho i already had what i needed........ one trick, if youre trying to caribiner your utensils is to find a thin, easily bendable fork and spoon and take a pair of pliers or a multitool and bend a loop in the handle...then you can strap it wherever

Yeah, I try to avoid subscribing to high-quality outdoor-shop gear, because my greatest talent is losing stuff all the time. Plus I like crafty-times. So I pushed ahead with making my own set, and went with this idea. First I used ones I had on hand, and they were not bendable, but then I got the cheapest, crappiest spoon and fork at a thrift store and this worked great. Spent the money I saved on a foil blanket and magnesium fire stick for some winter campin'!

wildboy860

CrustyhoboHippycore
StP Supporter
Reaction score

Doc Road

Reaction score
lol! How could I have forgot the hobo knife!

NBDDreamer

On the move
Reaction score
MRE spoon. When it gets lost or fucked up, I steal a new spoon from a fast food place. It's a disposable item. No sense in spending money better spent on whores and the bottle.

Ridire

Reaction score
I had a hobo tool for a time, but gave half of it away to someone who needed it more. I just eat with my hands and drink anything that requires a spoon. I also carry a small cup with me and a set of tin dishes for 'big' meals.

Reactions: todd
Reaction score
I've had the same pocket utensil for a couple years that i just carry in my belt pouch. It's a "Light My Fire" brand titanium spork. Fancy as fuck, right? But it's seriously great and worth the extra few dollars, if you ask me. Weighs next to nothing, doesn't transfer heat well so i can stir a pot on a fire and not burn my hand, surprisingly sturdy (otherwise i would have destroyed it by now), and it's sleek enough to just pop back in my pouch as soon as i've licked it clean. The downside being that they cost $10-14 so not a great investment if you're prone to losing stuff but i still love mine. :)

About us

• Squat the Planet is the world's largest social network for misfit travelers. Join our community of do-it-yourself nomads and learn how to explore the world by any means necessary.

More Info

Help us pay the bills!

Total amount
$10.00
Goal
$100.00

Latest Library Uploads