1. Not like it changes anything, but we are obligated to inform you that we are using cookies - so, we just did. Learn More.
  2. If you're new to the world of underground travel, you should check out The Anarchist's Guide to Travel! This 243 page book is a how-2 manual of everything you need to know about exploring the world through hitchhiking, train hopping, bike touring, rubber tramping, sailing, and more! Included in this book are instructions on how to survive on the road (gear, food, money, etc) and answers all of the most common questions we get here on StP in one easy reference. Save yourself hours of searching the forums while still supporting the StP community! Click here for more information!

Dismiss Notice
  3. Hey you! Yeah, we see you there, lurking! Well, this notice is just to let you know that there's several sections of the website that are available to members only! You're missing out on a lot of stuff by not signing up for an account! It's free, so what have you got to lose?
    Dismiss Notice

Eating bugs

Discussion in 'Wilderness Survival' started by outskirts, Dec 24, 2012.

1. Tatanka

Tatanka Can't get enough of the site

Achievements:
    Address:
    Florence, OR, United States
    View on map:
    Ratings:
    +723 / -21
    I've eaten a good bit of insects ants, never spiders but grubs bite off the pincher head, I ate a live minnow one time swallowed it whole. Probably a bad death for that little guy my friends at the time laughed mwha

2. lry

lry
    I deleted myself

Ratings:
    +0 / -0
    When I was younger I was all into the Bushcraft scene. I had gotten a few survival skills books and would camp every weekend. All the books said how great insects were in a survival situation so I was curious. I gathered a handful of grubs and crickets from under a downed tree. Took me a good 30 minutes to work up the nerve to eat them.

Eventually I gut up and sliced the head off a grub and popped it in my mouth. Started chewing and noticed the texture and consistency was like nothing I've ate before. At first I thought I was going to spit it out because it seemed like my body just didn't want that shit inside of me. But I was able to finish chewing and get it down. The cricket was a bit easier, the initial shock factor was gone. I pulled off his legs and down the hatch. I ended up putting the grubs back and just eating the last of the crickets.

I imagine for a survival situation it would be no problem now, but don't see myself doing it for any other reason.

3. Tatanka

Tatanka Can't get enough of the site

Achievements:
    Address:
    Florence, OR, United States
    View on map:
    Ratings:
    +723 / -21
    Yeah the grubs are rubbery the outer skin is weird. I believe some tossed into a stew or soup wouldn't be too bad. Collect ants with a straw and stir fry or add to soup

4. codycodnyk

codycodnyk Hungry for Knowledge

Achievements:
    Address:
    New York, NY, United States
    View on map:
    Ratings:
    +52 / -0
    I know this is an old thread, but ive been looking into it a lot lately. Ive eaten fried mealworms and crickets, theyre pretty tasteless and really just crunchy. But id say theyre a great survival food, since theyre abundant and easy to catch and high in protein. Ive read that caterpillars are a bad idea unless you know what type they are since many can be poisonous. A lot of people cant even hunt with a modern rifle or shotgun, let alone a bow and arrow or a bushcraft weapon, and even trapping takes some skill as dar as placement, camoflauge and design go, not to mention that field dressing, butchering and preserving meat is becomimg a lost skill. But anyone can lift some rocks or pieces of wood and collect bugs. You can take a bottle, cut the top part off and put it into bottom half of the bottle to act as a funnel, and put it into the ground. Bugs fall in but arent smarrtenough to get out. Get some of those and youd have a source of daily protein.
    The one tip I have as far as preparing them is to hold them without food for 24-48 hours to purge the poop out of them. I fried some mealworms I got at a petstore without doing that. It took me a couple batches to realize the black gunk all over the frying pan and stuck onto them was feces.

• Useful Useful x 2
    • Epic Epic x 1
  5. OP
    OP
    outskirts

outskirts I replaced my coffee with Black Magic.
    Lifetime Supporter

Achievements:
    basket weaver, writer
    Address:
    Mount Holly, New Jersey, United States
    View on map:
    Ratings:
    +287 / -0
    I just got back from a trip to Red River Gorge in Kentucky... and holy shit was the place crawling with cicadas and katydids. They kept landing into our campfire, so I took the burned cans from my companions meals and roasted both in the can on the coals. I got them nice and crispy while rolling them around the coals with a stick. Then we just took them out of the can, pulled off the wings, legs, and heads, and ate them. They were good as a snack with our bourbon, but needed maybe some salt and garlic powder. They both tasted very different. The cicadas tasted like dry, bland, chicken nuggets. The katydids surprisingly tasted like roasted peas. Both were very crunchy and not bad at all. I recommend seasoning them and you are good to go. This is the time of year for both, so catch some and chow down. You could probably trap a lot of them by utilizing a flashlight and a mosquito net. Or just be vigilant around your campfire as we were.

• Like Like x 2
  6. Kal

Kal Can't get enough of the site

Achievements:
    traveling
    Address:
    Atlanta, GA, United States
    View on map:
    Ratings:
    +841 / -3
    Grasshoppers have a lot of protein cook them first.

• Like Like x 2
  7. Mankini

Mankini I'm a d-bag and got banned.
    Banned

Achievements:
    undercover cop
    Address:
    Murray, UT, United States
    View on map:
    Ratings:
    +1,707 / -31
    Ah yes muthafukkaz but can you catch fly with chopstick?

• Funny Funny x 1
  8. AlwaysLost

AlwaysLost Failed Adventurer
    StP Supporter

Achievements:
    My Website(s):
    Ratings:
    +1,097 / -28
    Yes definitely always cook your bugs. Grasshoppers are delicious but a lot of them are carriers for tapeworm which won't help our hunger issued.

• Funny Funny x 1
  9. Timm

Timm Celebrated Poster

Achievements:
    3rd year apprentice welder/metal fabricator
    Address:
    Warburton, VIC, Australia
    View on map:
    Ratings:
    +223 / -1
    Think id rather turn cannibal than eat bugs