Dry Bags/Pouches?

D

Deleted member 9332

So I've been getting my pack together for my first trip in a few weeks, and im wondering if anybody has info on drybags. I know lots of people use ziplocks bags, and they're appealing because they're cheap and reliable enough. But honestly I would rather shell out a few bucks or spend some time making something than constantly tossing out and getting new ziplocks every few weeks, or risk getting something important getting wet. I've also seen stuff about a lot of the commercial dry bags, but there general consensus seems to be that while they're durable they're both expensive and almost never actually waterproof! I just want something to keep my electronic junk and maybe an extra pair of socks in case I get soaked, thanks in advance!

angerisagift

Reaction score
So I've been getting my pack together for my first trip in a few weeks, and im wondering if anybody has info on drybags. I know lots of people use ziplocks bags, and they're appealing because they're cheap and reliable enough. But honestly I would rather shell out a few bucks or spend some time making something than constantly tossing out and getting new ziplocks every few weeks, or risk getting something important getting wet. I've also seen stuff about a lot of the commercial dry bags, but there general consensus seems to be that while they're durable they're both expensive and almost never actually waterproof! I just want something to keep my electronic junk and maybe an extra pair of socks in case I get soaked, thanks in advance!
i used ziplock but 4 my notebook .i used a big ziplock i got from best buy it works well

Andrea Van Scoyoc

Nomad Missionary & Tree Hugging Jesus Freak
Reaction score
Just an FYI in case anyone needs one.

I make cloth bags. I recycle old clothes and turn them into bags. I have small (will hold toiletries) and big ones that will hold socks, etc.

If anyone ever needs one, let me know. I recycle everything possible and though they aren't waterproof , they are handy for general carrying stuff around.

Tude

Sometimes traveler is traveling.
Reaction score
Yeah I'm getting ready for a short trip here and packing extremely lightly - and I'm a ziplock organizer myself. I'm taking my electronic toys with me so they need to be waterproof as well as other things as I'm pretty sure I will be hitting wet weather for a couple of days.

Reactions: Kal

Matt Derrick

Retired Wanderer
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
youtube.com
in all my experience of traveling ziplock bags are fine for any situation unless you're going sailing. then you absolutely need a dry bag. don't worry about the ziplock bags breaking. i literally have ziplock bags in my pack from 5 years ago that are still working fine... although i'd recommend getting the ones with the nicer zipper (the white box kind, not the yellow & blue make green or whatever).

Reactions: VikingAdventurer

Art101

Reaction score
My thoughts exactly Matt.Ziplocks work great and are reliable.I have used them for everything from catching out to working at a ski area in the winter and never had one crap out.

Andrea Van Scoyoc

Nomad Missionary & Tree Hugging Jesus Freak
Reaction score
@Tude

If your coming down to Tallahassee, you can bet the farm you'll hit wet weather [emoji14]

If you come any further south than Tallahassee, you're in for wet weather too!

The Tampa area is seeing some wicked rain as of late.

My garden is loving it. ;)

Art101

Reaction score
I forgot you should also be able to pick up a decent waterrproof bag at a surplus store to keep your clothes dry,they are great and pretty tough.

Reactions: Jaguwar

lone wolf

Reaction score
down here publix has free plastic umbrella bags. they are fairly thick and can even create more space in your pack if you put your clothes in them and remove the air. that's all i ever used but i try to find shelter once it starts raining.

Last edited:

briancray

Reaction score
Website
www.bikethe.us
Seal line 10 Liter dry bag. Cost me twenty dollars. It fits my Lenovo think pad laptop, smartphone and external battery charger. When I was living in Colorado I shared a basement with some people. A neighbor made an illegal culvert and our basement ended up flooding with tons of water. This kept all my shit intact and working. It's waterproof and pretty cheap. I'm sure there are other bags out there but I like this one because it's enough room to fit all my electronics.

Last edited by a moderator:
C

Cree

I had a 10 Liter Seal line also. That baby went everywhere with me I can't remember the price but i got it on Amazon. When i first got it i filled it with junk and took it in the shower to check out how waterproof it was, it did not leak 1 bit ,so i was sold on them. Of course when all my gear got stolen there went that!

D

Deleted member 9332

Seal line 10 Liter dry bag. Cost me twenty dollars. It fits my Lenovo think pad laptop, smartphone and external battery charger. When I was living in Colorado I shared a basement with some people. A neighbor made an illegal culvert and our basement ended up flooding with tons of water. This kept all my shit intact and working. It's waterproof and pretty cheap. I'm sure there are other bags out there but I like this one because it's enough room to fit all my electronics.

Okay, this is really tempting, I could totally dig using one of these! I was looking at them earlier, i'll look around some more. If i don't wanna shell out the cash i'll go for ziplocks.

About us

• Squat the Planet is the world's largest social network for misfit travelers. Join our community of do-it-yourself nomads and learn how to explore the world by any means necessary.

More Info

Latest Library Uploads