Down 101

Reaction score
Goin down 101 in a couple weeks from Port Angeles, WA to Crescent City, CA. Its my first longer-ranged hitch hiking trip. Ive heard going down 101 is pretty easy for finding rides, though it is winter time. Some friends told me to make sure to not get stuck in Aberdeen too, and to find a ride goin through. Any other tips or advice?

Mongo

Reaction score
Aberdeen is a shit hole but you'll probably be more likely to get stuck in Florence, nothing but a bunch of old/rich people. Check out the beaches in Bandon they're pretty awesome somewhere on the southwest side of Bandon there are tons of gorse so watch out for them they look like little pine trees that grow out of the ground and have a nasty prick to them but there is tons of land to camp on because of them. In my experience all the towns along the Washington coast kind of suck and everything inbetween canon beach and coos bay is pretty awesome except florence.

Are you heading west 101 along the coast or are you going to head east down to Kimilche and crossover using the 108 and 12 to the coast?

Bizarre Odor

Reaction score
I grew up in Florence, and yes avoid that shit at all cost. If you do end up hitching out from there, make sure and use the spot south of the Siuslaw bridge. The Green salmon in Yachats used to be traveler friendly, check out Astoria and the Goonies house.

T

Tick Dickler

Aberdeen is a shit hole but you'll probably be more likely to get stuck in Florence, nothing but a bunch of old/rich people. Check out the beaches in Bandon they're pretty awesome somewhere on the southwest side of Bandon there are tons of gorse so watch out for them they look like little pine trees that grow out of the ground and have a nasty prick to them but there is tons of land to camp on because of them. In my experience all the towns along the Washington coast kind of suck and everything inbetween canon beach and coos bay is pretty awesome except florence.

Are you heading west 101 along the coast or are you going to head east down to Kimilche and crossover using the 108 and 12 to the coast?

i didnt know they were called gorse but fuck those shits!! i stepped on one last year, i was hiking barefooted. i can still fee the pain.

Bizarre Odor

Reaction score
I think Gorse is also the reason Bandon burnt to the ground..twice. It produces a flammable oil or some shit similar to Creosote.

iamwhatiam

Burrito fund contributor
StP Supporter
Reaction score
I grew up in Florence, and yes avoid that shit at all cost. If you do end up hitching out from there, make sure and use the spot south of the Siuslaw bridge. The Green salmon in Yachats used to be traveler friendly, check out Astoria and the Goonies house.
. Are there any redeeming points about florence? I'm tryin to hitch a ride to the coast today/tomorrow and will be comin in to florence

About us

• Squat the Planet is the world's largest social network for misfit travelers. Join our community of do-it-yourself nomads and learn how to explore the world by any means necessary.

More Info

Latest Library Uploads