Don't have much of a choice, but gonna make the best of it! | Squat the Planet

Don't have much of a choice, but gonna make the best of it!

D

Deleted member 29804

Hi!

Unfortunately, due to personal reasons and the way things are going, I realize I won't be able to continue being in my current living situation. Due to that, as well as ideological reasons, I decided that I may as well start traveling instead of be cooped up in one area. Live life to the fullest and free, you feel? I know it'll be difficult, and I only have a couple months to prepare, but it'll be worth it!

Figured I'd take a train down south somewhere [Especially since winter up here can be hell on earth even when not homeless, so it's something I don't wanna experience first thing] once I have everything organized and need to get out. Right now, though, I'm preparing financially, getting a list of the gear I'll need, and trying to pick up the skills I'll need while I'm out there! Dumpster diving is currently at the top of my list, but it's all baby steps. I figured that these forums would also be really good, especially since I'm really new AND I get to meet and talk to people who also travel! I look forward to it!

It's nice to meet all of you!

Odin

ANTISOLIPSIST
Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
Don't know if it's me or this place been quiet lately.

At least ... yea it's 2020.

So welcome.

As a labor of Matt's hard work this is a site with a good amount of info to read on traveling Reading and doing are two different things and some even get out of practice. You need to search and scroll through the various discussions and stuff.

I'm more of a hermit myself... for now and for the foreseeable future.
Even if I need to find a nice comfy new shell.

You are correct warm weather would be best... But maybe you...

No like humidity? So there is that.

I think the high desert would be good but don't want to be to close to Yellowstone.

Or maybe no matter... go boom...

Perhapshiding in the Grand Canyon...? or make a rendezvous at Roswell.

Choices.... ah!?

Whatever journey may be be well yours...

::pompus::🌮🍸

Last edited:
Reactions: Koala

Matt Derrick

Retired Wanderer
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
youtube.com
any idea where you want to go @dyelee? if you need suggestions, let us know. and yeah, i'd get south as quickly as you can, being homeless in the winter up north sucks ass

D

Deleted member 29804

any idea where you want to go @dyelee? if you need suggestions, let us know. and yeah, i'd get south as quickly as you can, being homeless in the winter up north sucks ass
I was thinking of San Diego specifically! Mostly because I'm used to city areas and I heard it has a lot of resources for people who are homeless. I still have a fair amount of research to do on the area, though, so that may change!

Matt Derrick

Retired Wanderer
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
youtube.com
I was thinking of San Diego specifically! Mostly because I'm used to city areas and I heard it has a lot of resources for people who are homeless. I still have a fair amount of research to do on the area, though, so that may change!
i think that's a good choice, but do some research (search form) here on stp since i think people have been posting about there being some issues with san diego recently.

you might also look into slab city, it's a few hours east of SD.

Rattmouse

Reaction score
Slab city is a great stop on the way to San Diego, or as an alternative if you are traveling that area. Lots of folks there with varying levels of experience, Live entertainment most Saturdays and there is always something (good or bad) going on at all times of day. The surrounding area just north / north east of here is also a great place to dock up if you enjoy the desert. Stock up, Pick a camp and bum for a while. At the very least you will be warm and in an decent area. Come January, from the slabs...quartzite, Az is also a good place to meet other travelers and potentially get work during gem show season! Best of travels to ya!

D

Deleted member 29804

Slab city is a great stop on the way to San Diego, or as an alternative if you are traveling that area. Lots of folks there with varying levels of experience, Live entertainment most Saturdays and there is always something (good or bad) going on at all times of day. The surrounding area just north / north east of here is also a great place to dock up if you enjoy the desert. Stock up, Pick a camp and bum for a while. At the very least you will be warm and in an decent area. Come January, from the slabs...quartzite, Az is also a good place to meet other travelers and potentially get work during gem show season! Best of travels to ya!
Oh, nice!! Thank you! I've never heard of Quartzite, AZ! Would it be a good place for travellers without a car or RV? I can't drive yet unfortunately and I don't have a car, but I'd still love to stop by there if I'm able to!

Matt Derrick

Retired Wanderer
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
youtube.com
Oh, nice!! Thank you! I've never heard of Quartzite, AZ! Would it be a good place for travellers without a car or RV? I can't drive yet unfortunately and I don't have a car, but I'd still love to stop by there if I'm able to!
quartzite is alright, but you really need a car there IMO, whereas slab city you don't.

Rattmouse

Reaction score
quartzite is alright, but you really need a car there IMO, whereas slab city you don't.
Agree. More fun with a vehicle. Lots of good BLM land to park. However, In general, theres people passing through going south or east during the gem shows (Jan- feb). Can catch rides. Sometimes you can even catch a ride from the slabs out to here and then south to Tucson. Also can be a place to get work moving rocks around if that's your thing

• Useful
Reactions: Matt Derrick

About us

• Squat the Planet is the world's largest social network for misfit travelers. Join our community of do-it-yourself nomads and learn how to explore the world by any means necessary.

More Info

Help us pay the bills!

Total amount
$10.00
Goal
$100.00

Latest Library Uploads