Dogs and poison Ivy

DisgustinDustin

Reaction score
My dog big foot has been camping with me for a few days.. He has bumps on his skin and it looks like a nice sized hot spot is developing.. I thought he may have poison Ivy and called the vet. The receptionist said she didn't think dogs could get it.. I decided not to take her word because he has been basically swimming in it for two days.
Here's the skinny:

Poison ivy, or Toxicodendron radicans, is a woody vine that is famous for producing allergic reactions in people. An oil produced by the plant, urushiol, is the toxic ingredient in the plant. Exposure to this oil can cause dogs to experience a reaction as well. While reactions to Poison ivy in dogs are not common, if the plant comes into contact with the dog’s skin or if the dog ingests the plant an allergic reaction can occur.
Symptoms of Poison Ivy in Dogs
Symptoms of Poison ivy reactions to the skin in dogs can include raised bumps or swelling of the skin. The dog may become very itchy, and the skin may also become inflamed. The raised bumps may start to blister and ooze clear fluids. If a dog ingests Poison ivy, the dog may experience sudden vomiting or diarrhea.
If your dog begins to show any of these symptoms, a prompt visit to the veterinarian is highly recommended. Any type of sudden allergic reaction can be dangerous if the reaction progresses to a condition called anaphylaxis. During an anaphylactic episode, a strong reaction to an allergen can cause swelling of the airways and respiratory system.
While reactions to Poison ivy in dogs do not occur often, it is still a good idea to keep your dog away from this plant. If you are walking your dog in an area that may have Poison ivy, take the time to look up the plant and memorize what it looks like. Many dogs are protected from Poison ivy’s urushiol oils through their fur. However, if the oil is on dog’s fur it is possible for a person to come into contact with the oils by petting the dog.

TREATMENT
Contact with poison ivy or poison oak – plants in the genus Toxicodendron - can cause serious dermatitis in dogs, and in people as well. Skin that comes into contact with these plants becomes inflamed, irritated, red and raised. The oil from the leaves of Toxicodendron plants causes intense itching in affected areas. Small breeds with short-haired coats are more likely to develop clinical signs.
If you suspect that your dog has come in contact with poison ivy or poison oak, you should bathe it in warm water, using a mild shampoo, and rinse it thoroughly to remove as much of the plant’s oil from the dog’s coat as possible. Owners should wear gloves while bathing their dog to reduce the risk that they will develop contact dermatitis as well. Towels used to dry the dog should be washed promptly. If an owner suspects that his dog has nibbled on or actually ingested any part of a poisonous plant, that dog should be taken to a veterinarian immediately. A veterinarian can also recommend topical treatments, and perhaps oral anti-inflammatory or antihistamine medications, to help ease the discomfort caused by this condition.
Ultimately, the best way to “treat” contact dermatitis caused by poison ivy is to prevent a dog from having access to it in the first place. Dogs should not be allowed to roam freely in unfamiliar areas, and owners should be conscious of the types of flora and fauna in areas they frequent with their pets. Remember, even if a dog shows no signs of inflammation or irritation after coming into contact with poison ivy or poison oak, people can develop clinical signs if they pet affected areas of the dog’s coat.

That's all I have for now.. On my lunch break..

Reactions: watson

smellsea

Reaction score
yeah, my dog and i both got it in savannah. i didnt think they could, but it was really obvious he had it, as it was the same exact shit on my skin. i just washed him with this stuff called "technu". used it on myself too. it also gets skunk smell off of dogs. what i did hear about poision ivy is that they can get the oil on their fur and then give it to you, but they couldnt get it. but they deffinitly can, maybe not all dogs, but mine did.

D

Deleted member 2626

damn im going to keep this is mind thanks dude
I think dogs though, like most mammals know what to eat and what not to. but you never know i guess. Like when their eating grass a leaf might go unnoticed thats possible for sure

smellsea

Reaction score
how ironic. my dog got sprayed by a skunk tonight. fuck. i usd the technu, it worked kinda, but it's gonna have to be done again. he probably can't stand it.... i feel so bad, maybe i'd have better results with tomato paste, that one i have never tried. man, he got it in the face from about a foot away.

Ekstasis

Reaction score
Tomato paste is a waste of time. Try peroxide, dawn blue dishsoap and vinegar. This will obviously burn their eyes. I had a dog that loved to get sprayed at midnight and come in our doggy door snorting and rubbing on everything. Good luck destinking!

DisgustinDustin

Reaction score
Ok.. Washed Big Foot really well with Tecnu and then with regular flea and tick shampoo.. There was a noticeable difference the next day. I gave him the batch at like 11pm and hot home
From work 5pm the next day.. He looked much better and wasn't scratching..
I gave him one more Tecnu bath for good measure and he looks fine now minus the two small bald spots he chewed into himself but they are healed.

Back to normal.

Turns out I got it too.. Tecnu saves the day again!!

smellsea

Reaction score
yeah that technu shit works great for poision ivy. on humans too!! i gave him another bath with it to get rid of the skunk stank, it worked. :)

About us

• Squat the Planet is the world's largest social network for misfit travelers. Join our community of do-it-yourself nomads and learn how to explore the world by any means necessary.

More Info

Latest Library Uploads