• Wow
Reactions: MxEx and pseudo

Scat

Global Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
roaddogs.cfw.me
I'd recommend getting a Bike Tow Leash or similar bike bar-type product to prevent the dog from darting in front of the tire and yanking you around if unexpected stimuli rears its head. I've always wanted to bike with a dog but haven't yet, aside from basic desensitization for a dog that was bike-reactive. However, I'd still recommend to start slow (depending on the dog, this could mean walking while on top of the bike and reinforcing behavior with a clicker & treats) and somewhere with little to no distractions, like the woods. When they do good with that, try it somewhere with more noises from cars, but where you can safely ride without being in the road. Just keep upping the ante (distractions like others dogs), rewarding good behavior, and doing it regularly enough that is becomes second thought for your little pal. I'd definitely always keep 'em on the side away from traffic. Pay attention to when they're tired or thirsty, and check on their paw pads during hot or icy conditions! Training them to use boots might help prevent blisters.

Last edited:

vajrabond

Reaction score
Depends on the size of the dog. Most people who do the trailer I’ve known end up switching to a crate set-up and training the dog to get in/out of it, because trailers suck to tour with unless it’s all flat. Knew a guy once with two medium dogs he toured everywhere with, he used a trailer. But he said he would have to make the dogs walk up big hills. If it’s a small dog I would go with a crate or front basket set up with a bed in it for the least weight.

Reactions: TheTexasRoadrunner

Stinkyyy

Reaction score
I bikes across England with my old dog who had severe arthritis. I had a little trailer for my bike which she sat in 90% of the day and she loved it. I had all my usual kit in just two pannier bags at the back, banjo on my back and I stuffed my sleeping bags under the dog in the trailer. It was amazing go for it!
My new pup is obviously much more able bodied but she still rides in a shopping basket on the back.

Reactions: Nomadicinquiries

Stinkyyy

Reaction score
Depends on the size of the dog. Most people who do the trailer I’ve known end up switching to a crate set-up and training the dog to get in/out of it, because trailers suck to tour with unless it’s all flat. Knew a guy once with two medium dogs he toured everywhere with, he used a trailer. But he said he would have to make the dogs walk up big hills. If it’s a small dog I would go with a crate or front basket set up with a bed in it for the least weight.
This is true, I had to push a lot😂 wasn't actually that bad though I had a really heavy set up with an old dog who couldn't get out the trailer but I managed. Slow and steady. If your dog is more capable you just get them to jump out on the tough hills.

Reactions: Nomadicinquiries
Reaction score
Website
www.google.com
Have done a cross country bike tour with 15lb chihuahua mix used a single wheel B.O.B trailer it's all metal more efficient stronger than the typical two wheeled nylon bed ones you see towing dogs or kids. Probably a more expensive new comes in over $200 I've had mine since 2008 and have many many miles on it good for hauling all sorts of stuff.

Crates can be good if the dog Is small enough recommend using 220v insulated copper wire to secure the crate to rack instead of zip ties.

You also want to make sure the harness and length of free leash is adjusted properly I have put dog into the cogs before requiring vet trip.

Also built a little Coloplast sun rain guard to cover most of the B.O.B trailer looking for photos none on this phone

Reaction score
Website
www.google.com
cache.jpeg

Reaction score
Website
www.google.com
cache (1).jpeg
cache (2).jpeg

I built a little fender to shield Svën from the rear bike tire, glued a foam yoga mat to the bottom of trailer and would supplement that with blanket. Think some kind of sun screen is important we did Tallahassee to Los Angeles summer of 2019 thru the SW so it was blazing hot and bright did some other trips before hand around Florida took some fine tuning and was somewhat of an evolution plenty of tumbles along the way between crates and trailers. Obviously it's a shorter distance to fall from the B.O.B and no chance of going into drive train or wheel. Weld company makes nice plastic coated wire crates for bicycles I've cut out some Coloplast panels and lined the inside to shield from wind and rain liked that they are also more narrow than a standard milk crate making it more aero also stronger.

Reaction score
Website
www.google.com
E23FC1FC-AF9A-4A02-81E4-45703DF99C5A.jpeg

Even with a small dog you can feel it move around in the trailer, my 50 lb coon hound is kind of a pain to transport in the Bob and would not do a longer trip with him maybe for bigger dogs the two wheel would be better as the shifting around is less disruptive

Reactions: Scat

WildVirtue

Reaction score
Website
activistjourneys.wordpress.com
I do not, but a custom e-bike build specifically designed for transporting large dogs can be found here:

The SB Cruiser : Amberwolf's 2WD Heavy Cargo Trike & Dog Carrier - Endless Sphere - https://endless-sphere.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=67833

Depending upon the size of the dog, a bike trailer would probably work.

Thanks for this! I have a big dog I'm considering touring with.

I had a bad scrape coming off the bike when biking up single lane country roads with just a long extendable lead in my hand. The dog suddenly saw a pheasant then chased it and I had to keep hold of the lead as I didn't want her to also get into sheep fields. I guess a lot of training is the only solution to that, or a lead attached to a tricycle with good breaks and a heavy load haha.

About us

• Squat the Planet is the world's largest social network for misfit travelers. Join our community of do-it-yourself nomads and learn how to explore the world by any means necessary.

More Info

Latest Library Uploads