Divorced, Now Homeless. Time to Catch Out

Cameron Shell

Reaction score
Recently I've gone through a divorce and lost everything including my home. I have backpacked across states and been homeless before, but this time it's different. Every time I see a train pass I can here the boxcars calling my name and I want nothing more than to hop on.. I can travel solo but I'd rather have a partner, unfortunately I don't know any tramps in Tulsa, OK. Should I just hop on and hope I meet someone along the way?? I just don't want to regret not being shown the ropes.

Reactions: wizehop

Cameron Shell

Reaction score
ok I can do that. But any advice on how to make my own connections? Like how do I identify other hoppers or know where to find them? That's really my biggest question. @Vulture

Last edited:
D

Deleted member 8978

Welcome aboard.

There are at least five ways of going homeless: (1) natural disaster, (2) difference with a loved one, (3) money owed to a creditor/lender, (4) rent owed to a landlord, and (5) back money owed to the IRS/government. Then I spoke to a homeless guy months ago saying he went homeless after a death in the family, it must have been a complicated situation on that.

I am not sure how effective that Habitat for Humanity would be for building a new house for you, but give it a shot. If you can raise money for that charity, do it! Wish I could.

Reactions: Tude

wizehop

Chasing the Darkness
Reaction score
ok I can do that. But any advice on how to make my own connections? Like how do I identify other hoppers or know where to find them? That's really my biggest question. @Vulture

Man just let connections happen as they happen, no need to put any thought into it. You will meet people on the road, it happens. Train hoppers are notoriously cranky towards people who try to push their way in to quickly any how, so don't try to force friendships. Keep in mind a lot of people are on the rails to get away from people.

But until that majick happens also keep in mind train hopping can be a pretty lonely pursuit. If you don't like being alone, its not the best place to be...

F

FrumpyWatkins

You have to solo at some point it elevates your abilities and what you have to bring to the table

I would leave Tulsa towards the west coast if I were you, probably get my ass kicked for a few weeks by the road if I was green, adapt, and get comfy as fuck or bitch and quit

At the end of the day this is homelessness with the added demention of traveling. If you have no skills you're useless to me personally as a traveling companion and will probably result in me getting arrested or killed

Go get learned. Don't die. See the world.

petergreen

Reaction score
I've found that trains, while exhilarating and cool, aren't worth the effort a lot of the times these days. Getting a fine or thrown in country for a few days by the rent-a-cops sucks hard. I've found hitching a lot more fulfilling. You meet really interesting people. Just my 2 cents though. I've never been a train kid.

As for survival: Wal Mart gallon water jugs, peanut butter and wonder bread.

Vulture

Reaction score
When it comes to that, the best way is to see other people at the catchout or sometimes you meet people on sidings.

Reactions: Cameron Shell
D

Deleted member 125

I've found that trains, while exhilarating and cool, aren't worth the effort a lot of the times these days. Getting a fine or thrown in country for a few days by the rent-a-cops sucks hard. I've found hitching a lot more fulfilling. You meet really interesting people. Just my 2 cents though. I've never been a train kid.

As for survival: Wal Mart gallon water jugs, peanut butter and wonder bread.

these negative things cease to be a big problem once you know what yer doing. which comes from actually doing it. hitchhiking has never been a big plus side of travelling for me. im a dude, i dress grungy, i travel by myself, to be perfectly honest if i saw me most of the time thumb out i would hesitate to pick me up.

Cameron Shell

Reaction score
Man just let connections happen as they happen, no need to put any thought into it. You will meet people on the road, it happens. Train hoppers are notoriously cranky towards people who try to push their way in to quickly any how, so don't try to force friendships. Keep in mind a lot of people are on the rails to get away from people.

But until that majick happens also keep in mind train hopping can be a pretty lonely pursuit. If you don't like being alone, its not the best place to be...

Thanks for the tip, this makes alot of sense. Ok say I go ahead, how do I figure out what trains are headed where?

Cameron Shell

Reaction score
When it comes to that, the best way is to see other people at the catchout or sometimes you meet people on sidings.

I'm gonna go ahead once I finish getting my gear together and slip into the yard tonight, MAYBE tomorrow night. You guys are right, to be honest if I knew what trains were going where I would feel a little better about winging it.

Cameron Shell

Reaction score
You have to solo at some point it elevates your abilities and what you have to bring to the table

I would leave Tulsa towards the west coast if I were you, probably get my ass kicked for a few weeks by the road if I was green, adapt, and get comfy as fuck or bitch and quit

At the end of the day this is homelessness with the added demention of traveling. If you have no skills you're useless to me personally as a traveling companion and will probably result in me getting arrested or killed

Go get learned. Don't die. See the world.

Ok so I know BNSF goes west but it also goes everywhere else ha how do I figure out where it is going?

Art101

Reaction score
If its pointing west,hop on.It will at least get you headed in that direction.Remember you are homeless now.You dont have to actually be anywhere anytime soon.Enjoy the trip.Read the info on here there is a ton and let things happen.Thats my best advice.

D

Deleted member 125

If its pointing west,hop on.It will at least get you headed in that direction.Remember you are homeless now.You dont have to actually be anywhere anytime soon.Enjoy the trip.Read the info on here there is a ton and let things happen.Thats my best advice.

if its pointing west its going west is NOT CORRECT AT ALL. unless yer in canada then it is most likely going west...

the direction the train is facing in a yard especially on the west coast has absolutly nothing to do with where the train will head after leaving the yard. if yer talking about riding a train from a siding, the same thing applies. pointing west does not mean going west long term, or even short term.

Art101

Reaction score
if its pointing west its going west is NOT CORRECT AT ALL. unless yer in canada then it is most likely going west...

the direction the train is facing in a yard especially on the west coast has absolutly nothing to do with where the train will head after leaving the yard. if yer talking about riding a train from a siding, the same thing applies. pointing west does not mean going west long term, or even short term.
Was more of a get out there and do.I know not all trains pointing west will go west.Wasnt trying to give bad advice.More of you will get where you are going when you get there.

F

FrumpyWatkins

Was more of a get out there and do.I know not all trains pointing west will go west.Wasnt trying to give bad advice.More of you will get where you are going when you get there.

If the trains pointed west and you have basic orienteering skills or a map with tracks it would be difficult to end up in the wrong direction long term

D

Deleted member 125

If the trains pointed west and you have basic orienteering skills or a map with tracks it would be difficult to end up in the wrong direction long term

again, this could be taken in a incorrect way. tracks dont move, but just because a trains head unit is pointing west does not mean that the train is going to go west short or long term. it could be less then one cc for a train to head in a different direction.

its been a minute but if im not mistaken geo east bound outta rocky mount actually heads north? ide have to double check my notes but thats just one example.

About us

• Squat the Planet is the world's largest social network for misfit travelers. Join our community of do-it-yourself nomads and learn how to explore the world by any means necessary.

More Info

Latest Library Uploads