Deodorant Alternatives

Reaction score
agreed. the salt stick works well. sometimes it can take a few days to take effect when first using it, but once it gets going it keeps going pretty well if you use it regularly.

C

Crazycoon

Ya herbs are the shit! And if your ever Hopping/hitching through the dessert or walking by a roadside garden somewhere, sage has really great natural antiperspirant qualities both the wild desert artimesia species and the culnarary salvia ones......

Post edited by: Lurch, at: 2007/01/17 16:07

Post edited by: Lurch, at: 2007/01/17 16:08

anne

Reaction score
Website
mobilecondo.blogspot.com
Oh, and I don't know if it works for armpits (I'd imagine it does though), but baking soda is good for getting rid of odors. I put it in my boots when I remember in order to ward off bad smells. Plus I think it absorbes moisture as well, which is always good.

Yeah, baking soda works great as deodorant. Wash and dry your pits then dust on a little dry baking soda with a makeup brush. Sometimes I mix it with corn starch which makes the powder feel smoother but doesn't last as long. Baking soda on its own can last for several days without reapplying.

Reaction score
You can make yr own deoderant out of coconut oil(has anti-microbial properties), baking soda(absorbs odor), corn meal(to absorb sweat), and essential oil(s). Here -> is a URL/link to a youtube video tutorial on how to make it. Also here-> The Green Pharmacy Herbal Handbook Body Odor is a URL/link to a blog post about herbs as deodorant, seemed interesting.

Reactions: todd

Loth Lorien

Reaction score
I didn't see this mentioned but for people who have problems with sweating alot don't have to just deal with wet arm pits. I've seen in a few different books that chili peppers have a natural chemical that when it gets into the human blood stream over time actually keeps your body temp. down and the sweating to a minimum as well as making you less tasty to mosquitoes. I can't say for sure if this is true but I went this last summer with on one spider bite instead of 200 itchy mosquito bites. I've also never had any complaint about my smell. I eat raw jalapenos or dried chili peppers as a snack at least once a week.

Reactions: Psi em

wildboy860

CrustyhoboHippycore
StP Supporter
Reaction score
meh... I have a hoorible sweating disorder that doesnt involve chiili peppers otr any of that shit, but i dont wear deoderant either way. if you dont like my stink, i dont like you. lmfao

xbocax

Reaction score
for me i jus wash my arm pits every day with water sometimes ill use the rock if I'm going for a bike ride the one thing i must say definately helps is wearing a nice cotton tshirt. sleeves do wonders. a good cotton tshirt not that thin soft girly cotton tshirt shit will absorb alot of the sweat and prevent a build up of sweat between your side and arm flab.

LeeevinKansas

I'm a d-bag and got banned.
Banned
Reaction score
use the leaves from red cedar trees, or pretty much any cedar trees. crush em up and rub them all over u. ull smell nice and piney for a few hours. i use it to get that weed smell off my hands.

Reactions: Psi em

ksleet

Reaction score
I have noticed that most of these alternatives cost money, so if you are gonna spend the dough get a friggin deoderant/antipersperant. Soap & water/deoderant do wonders for my spirit by killing odor causing bacteria while hopping freight,hitching camping or whatever. With a church/spigot key you can always find free water(see pic). I know that you can kill bacteria by burning certain plants and giving yourself a smoke bath, I know American Indians use methods like this to cleanse their souls but perhaps it serves a more physical use as well. I have always wanted to try that Natural deoderant Rock. I have seen it in outdoor catalogues for years & have even seen it in pharmacies. Sounds weird & not for all but shaving your armpit hair greatly decreases funk.
spigot_key.jpg

I believe it is sage that does the trick, it is a natural anti-perspirant/bacterial, and can be found on the sides of most highways on the way to your next hopout or ride.

Reactions: p4r4d0x

Linda/Ziggy

Reaction score
Hi,

I use bicarbonate of soda for my pits when I need too.
I also use it to clean my teeth instead of toothpaste which is full of all kinda crap.

It's also great for washing clothes, (don't need soap!) and a good general cleaner for pots n pans etc.
You can get aluminum free bicarb at health food stores too and you can buy bicarbonate of soda with food stamps!

keg

Reaction score
i do not know about the usa,but many girls in Japan told me they like the smell of a man.since i was homeless i would only shower every couple of days in the summer and maybe once a month in the winter and never use deodorant.now i am in hawaii and people sometimes give me dirty looks.thats kinda why i wear punk or metal shirts.to let people i choose to be homeless stinky etc.but i shower like 2 times a month so i am not that bad.plus i do not care what others think.

crow

Reaction score
Sweet tip. Thanks. Never thought about using citrus but do love the powerful scent an orange peel puts out.
I do like some human musk, and bugs always go for the perfumed people. besides our pheromones are in that musk. believe it or not, it's healthy to have a slight stink ;]
But sometimes that stink can just get raunchous. I usually hop in a bathroom and take a whore bath.
But this is an awesome idea!
How do the insects react to the citrus remedy?

yosh

Reaction score
Salt is good, if you are near the ocean go for a dip in there or just splash some ocean water in your pits. Fuck paying out of your ass at a natural health food store for a piece of salt.

Reactions: rusty

About us

• Squat the Planet is the world's largest social network for misfit travelers. Join our community of do-it-yourself nomads and learn how to explore the world by any means necessary.

More Info

Latest Library Uploads