Deodorant Alternatives

opal

Reaction score
i just dont use any. give my arm pits a good wash every couple of days and im good

ron

Reaction score
Alright this is an easy one.
Baking soda and cornstarch. cornstarch can be irritating so you can try arrow root or just say fuck the cornstarch (its meant to soak up moisture). if you want, you can get ahold of some coconut oil and mix it into the soda.cornstarch blend a little at a time, like 1/4 cup baking soda, 1/4 cup cornstarch, about 4-5 tablespoons coconut oil and if you wanna get fancy add a drop or two of essential oil of lemongrass or tea tree oil or something. you can apply the shit with yer fingers or you can get ahold of an old deodorant stick and put it in there and voila, diy deodorant.
or you can just slap some baking soda on yer pits.
cornstarch is great for chafing, for in yer shoes or yer inner thighs or yer ass crack.
baking soda also makes for great tooth paste, add a little bit of salt if you want too.
Baking soda, salt and cornstarch are pretty handy personal care items to have on yerself.

outskirts

I ain't getting any younger.
Reaction score
i just use a couple drops of tea tree oil w/ water in a spray bottle. its nice because tea tree is also anti-microbial.
I agree, essential oils are the way to go, especially the anti-microbial ones like tea tree. They also help protect you from nasty skin ailments
like ringworm and scabbies. I prefer Myrrh oil, which is also anti-microbial plus smells good while mixing with your natural body odor instead of just masking it. These oils can be mixed with coconut oil to stretch them.

H

helcat

Best deodorant I've ever used - mixing 3 parts talcum powder to 2 parts baking powder, some powdered rosemary and sage, tea tree oil and any kind of natural perfume I have, citrus ones are nice. Cover it and leave to stand to absorb up all the oils, end up with a powder and rub it on.

Really low cost and the more expensive items are small so easy to steal.

R

Roosterruler

Haven't used slimey deo in years. I do work with people, though, so I gotta keep smelling fresh.

As mentioned above, I use the salt stick ("the crystal"). I can not bath for a week and people can sniff my pits and not smell nothin' 'cept faint, pleasant human (this happened last night). As also mentioned - if you eat right and know how to bathe right, you can not shower for a bit and smell just fine.

Tea tree oil when I feel luxurious...

I didn't notice anyone mentioning apple cider vinegar, though.

Every couple weeks, though, I find that my pits sort of start to get a scent to them that Bronners doesn't erase. When that happens, I nuke my armpits with diluted apple cider vinegar. By morning, my skin is a clean slate again.

Probably is working the same as citric acid.
I like it.

6bummin6it6

Reaction score
they make a dry shampoo, like a powder you can just brush through your hair, it might work for absorbing sweat, and tea bags, lavender oil, citrus fruit, baking soda are nice, it also helps to carry an air freshener in your pocket, its a bit strong for the first few days but after that its just a nice fresh smell thats always with you.

West

Squatter Fodder
Reaction score
I was browsing around a couple days ago and came across a few examples of how to avoid using deodorant.

Citrus Fruit: Since citrus fruits are high in acid, they are capable of killing off bacteria on skin (ie under the arms) not to mention their natural fresh smell. Rubbing the fruit in you'r pits can however become sticky

I've used orange peels to freshen scent before, just rub them on your body, under arms and even on your clothes. Sprinkle water on them beforehand and let them sit for the best results.

A

AlwaysLost

I was browsing around a couple days ago and came across a few examples of how to avoid using deodorant.

Citrus Fruit: Since citrus fruits are high in acid, they are capable of killing off bacteria on skin (ie under the arms) not to mention their natural fresh smell. Rubbing the fruit in you'r pits can however become sticky :pinch:

Antibacterial gel: This is kind of off, since the point of avoiding the use of deodorant is to avoid the intake of the toxins it, or not buying it from the big corporations that run our quaint little society (sarcasm intended) but this also pertains to the fact that sweat only stinks when it hits bacteria, therefore, if you are in need not to stink for some special reason, then this is the way to go if you find yourself with no oter choice.

I thought this was pretty interesting. Have fun.

I use Tea Tree Oil, it doesn't infuse your brain with nasty aluminum, a little bit goes a long way and are easily commandeered from whole foods.

About us

• Squat the Planet is the world's largest social network for misfit travelers. Join our community of do-it-yourself nomads and learn how to explore the world by any means necessary.

More Info

Latest Library Uploads