Deodorant Alternatives | Squat the Planet

Deodorant Alternatives

K

Kendall

I was browsing around a couple days ago and came across a few examples of how to avoid using deodorant.

Citrus Fruit: Since citrus fruits are high in acid, they are capable of killing off bacteria on skin (ie under the arms) not to mention their natural fresh smell. Rubbing the fruit in you'r pits can however become sticky :pinch:

Antibacterial gel: This is kind of off, since the point of avoiding the use of deodorant is to avoid the intake of the toxins it, or not buying it from the big corporations that run our quaint little society (sarcasm intended) but this also pertains to the fact that sweat only stinks when it hits bacteria, therefore, if you are in need not to stink for some special reason, then this is the way to go if you find yourself with no oter choice.

I thought this was pretty interesting. Have fun.

Vagrant

Reaction score
...or you could just let one of those little bottles of antibacterial gel jump into your pocket then next time you are browsing through Walgreens.

I like the citrus idea. would it still work if you washed off the citrus so it didnt become sticky? or is that just defeating the purpose.

K

Kendall

...or you could just let one of those little bottles of antibacterial gel jump into your pocket then next time you are browsing through Walgreens.

True, true.

Well, as long as the acid has had time to do it's job, then I guess theres no harm in washing it off. I can handly dirty happily, but I hate sticky.

Post edited by: Kendall, at: 2006/09/17 01:06

FatAdam

Reaction score
I use mineral salt.. you can get a chunk of it at health food places, in the HBC department.

the salt kills the bacteria.. works fairly well, especially if you wash daily. I on the other hand will put it on every week or two.. and that doesn't do much good after the first or second day

D

dirty_feet

Man - I haven't worn deodorant in such a long time. I just got back from like - my second trip - ever. I enjoy being slightly stinky - just to piss people off and make them think. I'm such a green and black whore though even a small level of BO is good for humbling and remindg everyone we're not little squishy, fleshy verions of great smelling beautiful clone robot people. *ahem* (note to self - easy on the weed. slow my urgency and bloodthirst to kill all humans and eat brains. Stop trying to burn down complete cities, start small like - your moms house)

SORRY - ANYWAY - I use oil. FUCK YOU HIPPIE, you asked I'm telling you - it works. I also do truly, truly find that - the healthier I eat - the better, less obtrusive/explosive my BO is. Just like when your shit smells like roses after dropping a load off at the poool. HA!! The citrus idea sounds cool, I'll have to try it.

K

Kendall

I don't see why I smell so bad, I mean, the big thing that affects the way you smell is eating meat (theres something else small that affects it too, but I can't remember it) And thats no problem for me, seeing as how I'm a vegetarian. Theres nothing wrong with smelling like a human being is suppose to. Hahaha, last week in school I was walking around to my friend's locker, and as soon as I passed this typical make-up/push-up bra abercombie girl, she stopped what she was saying and yelled "Ewwww! what the HELL is that smell!!??!?" That gave me quite a laugh. Later that day I was complimented by someone telling me I smelled like Tacos and Battery Acid :laugh:

D

dirty_feet

Right on man - RIGHT ON!!! We gotta FIGHT for our right to STINK!! HA! Yeah - I usually won't wear oil because being vegetarian/vegan, my body odor is nothing but normal human smell. The oil works for me when I'm tired of being a stinky girl. Lemon juice is a great natural disenfectant, and I also remember using peppermints when I was in highschool. I'd just suck on em' for a while and then dab a little on my neck and underarms. AHah - so for any of you out there who like mint - come lick my arm pits baby. yyheeaahhh...

H

hex hex hex

fuck yeah the essential oils are the way to go, i've been smelling like lavender for like 7 years now, sometimes i'll switch it up with some tea tree or ylang ylang and shit, those little bottles so small and pocket sized! Gotta watch out for the peppermint tho, if yer having some pit rash that shit fuckin BURNS! Try diluting that shit, and its fuckin true stinkin is your birth given right, By Mjolnir i want to fuckin puke when im forced to stand next to some mofo who reeeks like cologne or purfume- fuck em all.

Vagrant

Reaction score
I used to wear Axe body spray but i found that after just one day i would smell alot worse than 1, 2 or even 3 weeks without showering.
I think its a conspiracy by the deoderant manufacturers to make you buy MORE deoderant. Smell good at first and for a while, but then its just nasty - which makes you use it again because you think that nasty is what you smell like without the deoderant.

Reactions: p4r4d0x
C

cracked

Vagrant wrote:
I think its a conspiracy by the deoderant manufacturers to make you buy MORE deoderant. Smell good at first and for a while, but then its just nasty - which makes you use it again because you think that nasty is what you smell like without the deoderant.

That's interesting. I know tha with hair shampoo - if you use it regularly, then suddenly stopping will make hair grimy and greasy, but it actually all subsides after a few weeks of not using it, going back to normal (and suddenly, no need for shampoo) I wouldn't be the one to know, but I wonder if something similar applies to deodorant.

Post edited by: cracked, at: 2006/09/20 08:35

S

snitchesgetstitches

I got kicked out of the plasma center for smelling bad. I usually consider it a point of pride to make people's heads turn and usually I don't get too many complaints...to tell you the truth an ex-girlfriend always told me she liked it when I didn't shower for a few days;) ; and she was quite the opposite, shower two times a day with a huge make-up collection, how's that for encouraging.
I've heard that avoiding meat will decrease the strength of B.O. Does anyone know how long it takes for the toxins to leave your system?

Beyond The Sun

Reaction score
I haven't touched meat in almost two years and people still complain about my smell. I think it just varies from person to person really, and what one naturally smells like. I personally like my smell.

Oh, and I don't know if it works for armpits (I'd imagine it does though), but baking soda is good for getting rid of odors. I put it in my boots when I remember in order to ward off bad smells. Plus I think it absorbes moisture as well, which is always good.

P

pillarite7

Green tea bags... the tannin kills the bacteria... and you can hardly smell the green tea. Either that or bring clothes hanger pincher thingys for everyone else..

T

Tamah Go Das

I dont care as much about the toxins as I do my sweat being blocked from coming out as with anti-perpirants.Thanx for the info.Ill try to find out the ancient Vedic method for deodorizing one's self.

D

Deleted member 20

I have noticed that most of these alternatives cost money, so if you are gonna spend the dough get a friggin deoderant/antipersperant. Soap & water/deoderant do wonders for my spirit by killing odor causing bacteria while hopping freight,hitching camping or whatever. With a church/spigot key you can always find free water(see pic). I know that you can kill bacteria by burning certain plants and giving yourself a smoke bath, I know American Indians use methods like this to cleanse their souls but perhaps it serves a more physical use as well. I have always wanted to try that Natural deoderant Rock. I have seen it in outdoor catalogues for years & have even seen it in pharmacies. Sounds weird & not for all but shaving your armpit hair greatly decreases funk.
spigot_key.jpg

L

laurenorder

is there nothing else? i dont really smell much at all but there are some pretty sweaty times when i could use deodrant!
i stopped fully deodrant and other aerosols it after i had an throat freezing incident involving aerosols.......plus whats the point? buy chemicals to disguise the fact that you are human and sweat like every fucker else!

C

circle_b

i guess for natural remedies it kind of boils down to
1- alter the pH balance in your armpits, like with baking soda, rock salt, or the citric acid method mentioned above. the problem with this is that your body will get the pH in your pits back to normal real quick.
2- kill bacteria for a little while. use alchohol wipe, antibacterial whatever, etc. this scares me because of my high school biology class, ie, breeding stronger bacteria.
3- mask it all with commercial deodorant. bleck.

but, check out this website!
http://www.otan.dni.us/webfarm/emailproject/hai.htm
lots of random how to deal with BO, most of it is naturopathic.

i just go for soap and water, personally - haven't worn deodorant in a really long time, commercial deodorant gives me a rash.

M

Mouse

there's this rock salt type deodorant stick you can get at places like trader joes. you just moisten them a lil bit and rub em on. they last for 3 years (says the packageing) so if you do choose to spend the money on it, it won't be that big of a deal. works really well. doesn't stop you from sweating though.

• Useful
Reactions: Nomadic Wolf

About us

• Squat the Planet is the world's largest social network for misfit travelers. Join our community of do-it-yourself nomads and learn how to explore the world by any means necessary.

More Info

Help us pay the bills!

Total amount
$0.00
Goal
$100.00

Latest Library Uploads