Day late and a dollar short, but whatever!

• Thread starter Deleted member 24782
  • Start date
D

Deleted member 24782

Hello. I never "formally" introduced myself, the veil of obscurity seemed appropriate for a while. My name is Mike Brodie, I'm an American freight train rider "hobo", diesel mechanic, and photographer. I live in Northern Nevada, with my wife. After the media frenzy of 2009 or so, I ended up deleting my website to focus on becoming a machinist for Union Pacific. Well, that ship has sailed, work sucks (even if it does include the romantic notion of "workin' on the railroad all the live long day" for $32 hour) I refuse to succumb to the drudgery of wage slavery...I'd rather have control of my own life, work hard on my own terms, and hit the rails a time or two or three every year.

I remade my website, it's a work in progress. Includes a lot of never before seen work, at least 75% of my photography, 2005 to present. Best viewed on a desktop computer, but alas...here ya go...

ridindirtyface.com

Thanks for reading. And I love you all.

Last edited:
D

Deleted member 125

now that youv officially outed yerself, might as well start shipping out a copies of that book of yers or people are gonna call you a sellout.

D

Deleted member 24782

D

Deleted member 20

Welcome out into the light past that veil of obscurity. You could be considered a celebrity by many in & around traveling, trains & or photography. Im glad to have you aboard. We need more adulting creative types who have grown up on the road, experimented with being a working class hero and yet are still connected to the traveling community here on STP. The fact that you are super talented & equally as humble is not lost on us. Thanks for your ongoing photographic witness.

Last edited:
D

Deleted member 24782

My photo teacher in college gushed about you when he found out i rode trains. I was ready to scoff but the pictures were great, i really appreciated the intro in yr boook.
Inspired to hear yr back on the road.

Thank you sir. I ended up putting that afterward, including another one, on my website, I realized it hadn't been transcribed anywhere on the internet. I don't write much, (besides my silly ranting on STP), so I have always been proud of those two writings...

Mike Brodie - https://ridindirtyface.squarespace.com/afterward-2012
Mike Brodie - https://ridindirtyface.squarespace.com/afterward-2005

Matt Derrick

Retired Wanderer
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
youtube.com
nice to see your comeback! im curious if you had mostly one kind of camera/lens you were using for most of your photography?

MFB

Reaction score
Tooo coooool!

I remember really digging your pictures when they got cool. So good.
I always thought your posts were either insightful; or funny as fuck. A rare combo.
i feel dumb for not puttin two and two together.

Your 2012 afterward blip is really a good honest read. Love it. Everything the reader needs and nothing they dont. Glib in a fun way. Reminds me of an 8 yo Hemingway, and I mean that in the best way possible. 😊

Reactions: Juan Derlust

void gaze

Reaction score
Lol no way we definitely rode a train or two together back in the mid 00s. I remember your photos, those were dope. Glad you’re doing well man!

D

Deleted member 24782

Tooo coooool!

I remember really digging your pictures when they got cool. So good.
I always thought your posts were either insightful; or funny as fuck. A rare combo.
i feel dumb for not puttin two and two together.

Your 2012 afterward blip is really a good honest read. Love it. Everything the reader needs and nothing they dont. Glib in a fun way. Reminds me of an 8 yo Hemingway, and I mean that in the best way possible. 😊

Thank you brother, your further ahead than some of my friends and family that have never read it. I gave a copy to my dad when he got out of prison, he didn't take the shrink wrap off for a month, then he went back to jail again!!!

So I was at the publishers house (Jack Woody of Twin Palms) in Santa Fe, NM in 2012. He was pressuring me to write something for the book, since the photos from "A Period of Juvenile Prosperity" have no titles or accompanied stories/writing. I was stumped... Then he handed me one of the first books he published, which was b&w photos by Dennis Hopper, images that accompanied his first film "Easy Rider." In the back of the book Dennis Hopper wrote an amazing biography that started something like:

"I was born in Dodge City, Kansas, on a farm, in 1936. I followed the light changing on the horizon..."

Then bam, I was inspired and just wrote that whole thing about my life up to that point. The publisher edited it down ALOT more because there was too much mention of penis. He even called me one day to ask "our you sure your not gay?" which is funny because, Jack Woody is gay, and his last name is Woody, anyways....

I've said too much, as per usual.

WanderLost

Reaction score
Dude i was just talking about your photography yesterday to a friend. My history of photography teacher showed the class your stuff when i was in Community college like 10 years ago, and it always stuck with me. Cant wait to check out more of your newer work!

Reactions: Jimmy Beans

About us

• Squat the Planet is the world's largest social network for misfit travelers. Join our community of do-it-yourself nomads and learn how to explore the world by any means necessary.

More Info

Latest Library Uploads