Damn near a year in the brush | Squat the Planet

Damn near a year in the brush

hiveranno

Reaction score
Hey all. Made it about a year living in the brush without outside influence. Last week my camp was found by mushroom pickers that reported me to the local law. They came out and made me tear down my home and shitter. Had to pull roots and head back down the road. Looking for a new place. I'm in Missouri right now. Love it here but looking for some like minded peeps that wanna live in the brush and live off what mama nature dishes out. Can help you through the hard times of bush living. Hit me up!

KootenayRambler

Reaction score
On behalf of mushroom pickers everywhere, my sincerest apologies for the ignorance of those amateurs. Most of us pick specifically to get in the bush, and it blows me away that they could turn you in.
I've done long stints away from civilization, but certainly not a year. What would you say was the most difficult thing to face? Also, what kind of diet did you uphold?

hiveranno

Reaction score
Paul.. It's a possibility depending how things pan out. I started in the bush, learned some stuff, went on the rails for awhile then went back to the brush. Nobody fucks with you in the brush. Out of sight out of mind. Well, mostly nobody fucks with you.

Gypsy.. Most difficult thing to face was boredom n loneliness. As long as your doing something it's good. I had a few visitors that brought me in stuff but definitely a lonely life. My diet was highly carnivorous. I hunted with the seasons and trapped what I could. Also have a small game rifle, shotgun and crossbow. I was for the most part legal with the conservation laws. Deer, turkey, quial, squirrel, coon, and trading with a farm. Also, planted a small garden and some wild plants.. Morel mushrooms are plentiful as well.. I have a mountain bike to get into town occasionally for stuff but once you have a diet like this, one processed food item can take your bowels for an instant tornado ride.

I cut firewood for alittle cash, made brain tanned items, painted skulls, decorative knots, bead work...ect..... I wasn't secluded all the time. The mushroom pickers that ended my stay were rude as hell and that I was destroying the beauty by having my dirty carcass out there. I've seen them out there a few times and picked up their garbage more then once. Oh well, find a new place.

hiveranno

Reaction score
image.jpg
image.jpg

hiveranno

Reaction score
Heck yah.. Used to stay in an underground shelter but it collapsed, then did the tarp tipi thing. Then scored this big ass tent from a guy after cutting a few truck loads of firewood in trade. Love it. Have some winter picks of it as well. It's getting pretty weathered now n might have to figure something else out. Want to get more permanent

Reactions: Kal

hiveranno

Reaction score
I have a wood stove for it too. The fabric is like pulling apart in spots. Think it's from sun exposure or something. It's canvas and made slot of years ago

Reactions: Kal and Jaguwar

hiveranno

Reaction score
Thanks all. Think I found my next spot. N it might be legit. hmm can I handle not being slightly stealthy and pissing on "the man".. Lol. It's fairly close to the rail as well but requires me to work a certain amount of hours everyday in trade . One more freedom place to check before and start replanting the garden n get back to living.

Odin

ANTISOLIPSIST
Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
Amazing camp. Looks like all you could need. Would be great to just chill by that campfire and roast meat and drink.

Hope your new place works out.

D

Deleted member 2626

Awesome. That possibility of living like the old mountain men and being unmolested is probably gone with the lack of wilderness solitude. Quite sad. They saw it coming even back then with the expansion of settlers. This gives me hope though to do it. Great to see. And like you said realistically to live off of game it is possible to follow the legal seasons. Plus getting caught without follow is probably jail time. Good luck on your next set up. Update at any chance im subscribed to this thread

Last edited by a moderator:

About us

• Squat the Planet is the world's largest social network for misfit travelers. Join our community of do-it-yourself nomads and learn how to explore the world by any means necessary.

More Info

Help us pay the bills!

Total amount
$10.00
Goal
$100.00

Latest Library Uploads