www.youtube.com
The PNW is the best place on earth eh? Real chill people. ::woot::

Cuddling convention offers platonic snuggles
By Jareen Imam, CNN

Updated 6:10 PM ET, Tue February 10, 2015

Story highlights
  • Cuddle Con happens on Valentine's Day
  • The convention aims to promote platonic cuddling in a positive light
  • Platonic touch between friends and partners can promote healthier relationships
(CNN)For most of her life, KimberlyJensen has spent Valentine's Day alone. But on Saturday she will be cuddling up to a complete stranger.

The 47-year-old, who is perpetually single, is one of more than 100 people attending Cuddle Con, which bills itself as the world's first ever cuddle conventionin Portland, Oregon.

"I hated Valentine's Day, and now I am looking forward to it. I am hoping to cuddle non-stop," Jensen said.

The 12-hour convention, which is strictly platonic and nonsexual, was created by professional cuddler Samantha Hess. She is also the founder of Cuddle Me Up, a business that provides platonic touch for clients through cuddling sessions.

Hess' idea to start a cuddling business materialized back in January 2013. She came across a photo on Facebook of a man offering free hugs, and a newly divorced Hess thought to herself that she would definitely pay someone for a hug right at that moment.

"Just because I don't have someone in my life doesn't mean I don't deserve affection and touch," she said.

The thought of cuddling a stranger on Valentine's Day might seem creepy, but Hess said the problem lies with people's perception. "In our culture, cuddling is connected with romantic relationships. Platonic touch is such a taboo thing," she said.

"There are a lot of moms who give a lot of touch, but they never really take. So they come into (my business) and get touch from me."

Amy Muise, a postdoctoral fellow at the University of Toronto, co-authored a study on the effects of cuddling in a relationship after sex. She said there is research to suggest that cuddling, which is commonly associated with romantic relationships, can also be found in platonic relationships as well.

"It wasn't always a sexual thing," Muise said. Touch is a way for people to feel closer to one another, she said. "People have a need to belong and connect to others and affection is one way we may do this."

One reason platonic touch in a professional setting can be appealing to some is because it can be less intimidating than a romantic encounter, Muise said. "There are fewer risks of rejection."

The idea of being hugged and not judged pulled Jensen in. She was experiencing feelings of unworthiness and loneliness when she entered Hess' Portland storefront more than a year ago. The math tutor drove an hour from her home in Salem to find out what platonic cuddling meant. After her first session with Hess, Jensen felt like she was on a runner's high.

"After I see her, I am pretty high for a couple of days. I am seriously addicted to it," Jensen said. "I think about if I have a ding in my car and I have a $500 deductible, that $500 could give me 500 minutes of cuddling."

The hour-long cuddle sessions she has with Hess once a week have boosted Jensen's confidence. She's more open about wanting affection now. She routinely requests hugs from her family and friends and even cuddles with her sister.

Jensenthinks the Cuddle Con is the perfect way to introduce the benefits of touch not only to those who are single, but to people in relationships. "There are couples out there where one person is more affectionate than the other. Maybe if they can bring their partner to the convention to show them cuddling is normal," Jensen said.

Hess sees 2015 as the year of the cuddle and hopes people will start to see the positives of platonic touch.

"I think we all struggle with the concept of being good enough," Hess said. "People think 'I have to lose 50 pounds so I can start dating.' No you don't, you are good enough right now."

Attachments

• upload_2015-2-11_11-42-19.gif
    upload_2015-2-11_11-42-19.gif
    57 bytes · Views: 332
    57 bytes · Views: 356
    57 bytes · Views: 341
    57 bytes · Views: 351
    57 bytes · Views: 335

Tude

Sometimes traveler is traveling.
Reaction score
LOL I've been on some long night Amtrak rides where I'm really, really trying to sleep with music jammed in my ears and yet I know the cascmooozling going on under a barely concealed blanket was NOT cuddling. hmmm

• Useful
  • Haha
Reactions: Odin and Corinne
D

Deleted member 20

I dont even hug my mother! I am all set & its not surprising that the turnout is less than 50 socially akward people. I wonder if we infuse a large amount of dirty traveler kids if the event will be destroyed. Please all you nasty crustpunx attend this & bring it down!!!

Art101

Reaction score
Lol Highway epicness and go figure Portland wonder how many will catch crabs and or the dreaded scabies go crusties crash that sht make it itch.

Odin

ANTISOLIPSIST
Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com

Attachments

• images?q=tbn:ANd9GcTLyIRmJOn2SCGX1hv6kVPpZIraZGiEY_j7BAxmTA8V4zoXhLj8MA.jpg
    images?q=tbn:ANd9GcTLyIRmJOn2SCGX1hv6kVPpZIraZGiEY_j7BAxmTA8V4zoXhLj8MA.jpg
    12.6 KB · Views: 309
  • images?q=tbn:ANd9GcQ1WxrxDKiUotnuO_ZXE3geK06AgMt7ggamJvMkk7qg5KFC5HdM_Q.jpg
    images?q=tbn:ANd9GcQ1WxrxDKiUotnuO_ZXE3geK06AgMt7ggamJvMkk7qg5KFC5HdM_Q.jpg
    4.5 KB · Views: 326

Odin

ANTISOLIPSIST
Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
Looks like a good deal.

wizehop

Chasing the Darkness
Reaction score
WOW, well I got a buddy and a few weeks ago he told me about this new "cuddle" app, which was like tinder but just for cuddling. I was like "dude there is no fucking way its just for cuddling, it may start as that but we all know where shit leads". Seemed retarded to me...ok well still does, but. He ends up connecting with this really hot chika who has MS and I guess thats the best she can do these days. Well, He met her and they uh cuddled ahahahaha.

In all seriousness though, we need to start a LONERCON for all us individualistic types. well set a date and then not meet.

Matt Derrick

Retired Wanderer
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
youtube.com
i wonder if this is the same society that i saw on tv a few years ago. personally, i'm pro cuddling, and if people want to go to this, i see no reason why they shouldn't.

Matt Derrick

Retired Wanderer
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
youtube.com
@Odin, were you having some trouble uploading pics? i see a bunch of gifs attached to your post.

Odin

ANTISOLIPSIST
Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
@Matt Derrick

yea sorry... I copy pasted that whole article and then deleted like junk at the top and at the bottom of the article.
I don't know where those gif's came from. I went to edit the post but cant find them or delete them I guess??

K

Kim Chee

I'd cuddle with a girl and wouldn't need to have sex with her.

...but I'd at least like to whack off on her (promise to not get you in the eye;).

Odin

ANTISOLIPSIST
Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
wow... lotta defense being played here.

heh

::cigar::

K

Kim Chee

I actually read on CL gigs where a company was hiring "cuddlers".

Sure, you'll have legit cuddlers who are into spoonin' and legit masseuses who work out the kinks.

But then again you have those providers who are in it for the happy ending kind of cuddle.

About us

• Squat the Planet is the world's largest social network for misfit travelers. Join our community of do-it-yourself nomads and learn how to explore the world by any means necessary.

More Info

Latest Library Uploads