Crusty by Choice or Consequence

Bedheadred

Reaction score
This conversation reminds me of an experience I had earlier this summer. I was flying a sign at a walmart i was sleeping in the bushes behind for a couple days, and right before that I got housed up so had recently showered, down laundry etc. An older traveling man (not a homebum) came up to me and proceeded to lecture me on how maybe I would make more money if I was actually dirty and not just pretending to be homeless. I didn't say anything just let him talk until he walked off. Fuck me for enjoying a shower and oppurtunity to wash my clothes right? Traveling and being homefree is not a competition of whos the most dirty and how long youve gone without bathing and I'm pretty tired of being judged for liking to be clean sometimes. Didnt we separate ourselves from mainstream society to avoid this type of judement? Meh. My point is that I enjoy being a crusty punk but I also enjoy not being fucking gross all the time.

Anagor

Reaction score
Website
anagortravelling.wordpress.com
My point is that I enjoy being a crusty punk but I also enjoy not being fucking gross all the time.

Yeah, you do what you want when you want it. :)

Also, I think sometimes in this discussion, a few things are mixed up. For example, some people speak mostly about kind of clothes/worn out clothes while others talk more about being clean or dirty or lack of hygiene.

So if you would put a little bit of theoretical (rough) classification to it, it may be like that:

Clothes

A - decent, blending in
B - decent, but unusual (like punk or hippie style)
C - worn out, patched up
D - raggedy

E - washed frequently
F - washed not so frequently
G - dirty
H - gross

Personal Hygiene / Body

I - showering daily
J - showering now and then
K - doing some cat wash regularly / wet wipes
L - dirty, stinking, not caring about hygiene

M - no tattoos, no piercings
N - piercings, tattoos
O - unusual tattoos, considered rude by some people and/or tattoos on unusual places (hands, face)

Okay, I will leave it with that, just what came to my mind. So, when using this kind of classification we have alone 4x4x4x3 (=192) possible combinations. ;)

When it comes to me, for example, sometimes I am like AEJM, sometimes I'm more like DGKM ... it just depends on the situation and what I feel like at the moment.

Just my 2 cents ...

• Epic
Reactions: Juan Derlust

angerisagift

Reaction score
Yeah, you do what you want when you want it. :)

Also, I think sometimes in this discussion, a few things are mixed up. For example, some people speak mostly about kind of clothes/worn out clothes while others talk more about being clean or dirty or lack of hygiene.

So if you would put a little bit of theoretical (rough) classification to it, it may be like that:

Clothes

A - decent, blending in
B - decent, but unusual (like punk or hippie style)
C - worn out, patched up
D - raggedy

E - washed frequently
F - washed not so frequently
G - dirty
H - gross

Personal Hygiene / Body

I - showering daily
J - showering now and then
K - doing some cat wash regularly / wet wipes
L - dirty, stinking, not caring about hygiene

M - no tattoos, no piercings
N - piercings, tattoos
O - unusual tattoos, considered rude by some people and/or tattoos on unusual places (hands, face)

Okay, I will leave it with that, just what came to my mind. So, when using this kind of classification we have alone 4x4x4x3 (=192) possible combinations. ;)

When it comes to me, for example, sometimes I am like AEJM, sometimes I'm more like DGKM ... it just depends on the situation and what I feel like at the moment.

Just my 2 cents ...
I was told there wouldn't be any math

cosmic girl

Reaction score
Anyone see the irony of wearing clothes to fit into a group that doesn't want to fit in? Its like conforming to non conforming. Which is still conforming. Yeah...

indeed, very ironical, but, humans are apparently a rather very tribal people, maybe not so much in regards to race or nationality (anymore ?), but certainly still with subculture, economic class, and social circles.

Anagor

Reaction score
Website
indeed, very ironical, but, humans are apparently a rather very tribal people, maybe not so much in regards to race or nationality (anymore ?), but certainly still with subculture, economic class, and social circles.

Yeah, to some extend I agree.

When it comes to me, there are a few things I saw other people wearing that I found cool and so I chose to do that as well. Bandana for example or having those little metal thingies from broken lighters at your jacket and hat.

But otherwise I just wear what is available and comfortable. Haven't bought any clothes or shoes in four years now. (Except boxer shorts and socks sometimes for cheap.)

Sometimes I actively searched for something (food runs, day centres), sometimes I just found something or someone donated something to me on the street. The road provides.

I prefer dark colors and mostly its just jeans/t-shirt/hoodie combination plus a jacket in winter. But wore jogging pants as well, just be comfortable.

I have a military style vest many "punks" seems to like as well, but I just bought it many years ago cause I liked the many pockets (especially those on the inside with zippers). Worked very well for me on the road keeping all my important stuff always with me.

Otherwise a real "punk"/"crusty" or whatever you wanna call it outfit is not about fashion or a specific style IMHO. It's more about recycling, reusing, DIY and alike.

Reactions: Juan Derlust

BusGypsy

Reaction score
The method you just suggested is unbeatable compared to what I have suggested and it is certainly a great way to clean clothes. The zip lock method is as you suspected.

I have washed my clothes many times using a zip lock bag. I am not suggesting that this is the best method but it is one that works for me and I have gotten very good at it. Basically you take a big zip lock bag fill it with water. Place two drops of bleach inside the zip lock bag. Shake repeatedly and let the clothes sit around 15 to 30 mintues depending on the temperature outside.

I let the bag sit in the sun for a spell before I rinse they clothes. It is very vital that you do not use no more than a few tiny drops of bleach. To much and you bleach your clothes do it just right and you will not have those issues. The clothes come out smelling fresh and clean. I don't like using detergents pertaining to this method because you have to do alot more rinsing than is required with the few drops of bleach.

You can also use a bucket, trash bag. Not sure if this helped or not. Everyone has there own methods of cleaning there clothes this is just one method I prefer. I keep a little tiny bottle of bleach in my bag, the container I keep it in is about the size of my thumb however it goes a long way. Hope this helped. Safe travles friend.

Sweeeeeeeet!!! What a great trick!
I try and stay clean. Even cats bathe themselves! My skin crawls if I feel dirty. Being smelly and scary doesn't help. And people really compete on who can be dirtier? Might as well roll in a gutter and declare yourself the winner. Reminds me of little kids playing in the mud.

Anagor

Reaction score
Website
And people really compete on who can be dirtier? Might as well roll in a gutter and declare yourself the winner. Reminds me of little kids playing in the mud.

Haha!

I don't care if my clothes are dirty as long it's only dirt from the streets.

But I care about personal hygiene. Not showering every day, but a quick wash is almost always possibe and if not ... wet wipes help. I brush my teeth regularily, keep my nails short and alike.

I don't mind wearing a bit dirty and ragged clothes but you don't have to annoy people with bad smell or alike, IMHO.

Anagor

Reaction score
Website
cr.jpg

Freshly washed. :)

BusGypsy

Reaction score
When I lived in a house, I was already thrifty and looked a lil homeless. When I left, I took my nice thrift clothes with me to avoid immediate judgement and police. Honestly, if you look good, you can get away with so much shit. People trust you more and are more willing to engage with you as well. Shitty, but that's just how it is.

I observed this as well. it sucks; it really does. But like it or not, your clothing is a sort of flag; how you present yourself to the world is how you present yourself, and that's what people will see.
Back when I had blue hair, wore DARE shirts ironically, etc. I noticed so much more attention, some negative. and I don't want to attract attention.
When I let my hair go natural and dressed more mature, it was refreshing how much people DIDN'T even notice me.

Reactions: troublefunk

Maki40

Reaction score
Staying in a warm climate helps. One t-shirt and shorts and I'm good for 2 weeks. Plus, its less weight to carry. I always keep my eyes out for a replacement set and rarely have to buy from a thrift shop or do laundry. I've gone into salvation army thrift store and asked if the homeless get any discounts and they gave me a couple shirts. Goodwill just look at me disgusted and said no. Doesn't hurt to ask though. Also, I've heard goodwill never does anything about shoplifting. Literally, walk in grab what you want and walk out. I've done it once no problems. I've also dived into the donation containers and pulled out trash bags full of clothes.

Anagor

Reaction score
Website
I observed this as well. it sucks; it really does. But like it or not, your clothing is a sort of flag; how you present yourself to the world is how you present yourself, and that's what people will see.

Well, I can understand where you are coming from and yes, you are right.

On the other hand after having to follow some kind of dress code all my life (first cause of parents/school, later cause of studies/work) I found it liberating to just wear what I want without caring about what other people may think about it.

When I lived in a house, I was already thrifty and looked a lil homeless. When I left, I took my nice thrift clothes with me to avoid immediate judgement and police. Honestly, if you look good, you can get away with so much shit. People trust you more and are more willing to engage with you as well. Shitty, but that's just how it is.

Depends on what you are up to, but mostly you are right.

Funny thing ... as I was in Salisbury UK (which is a quite small city near Stonehenge) for example whenever I went into the Tesco supermarket the security guy instantly went away from his position at the entrance to the video station to follow me around with cameras until I left. Happened more then once.

On the other hand in my opinion (and in the context I was traveling in) it helped in various aspects that I was apparently a homeless traveler and not of a rich backpacker in expensive and new outdoor clothes and boots looking for a hotel to stay in.

About us

• Squat the Planet is the world's largest social network for misfit travelers. Join our community of do-it-yourself nomads and learn how to explore the world by any means necessary.

More Info

Latest Library Uploads