Crossing the Panama canal? With a vehicle? Possible/alternatives? | Page 2 | Squat the Planet

Crossing the Panama canal? With a vehicle? Possible/alternatives?

Odin

ANTISOLIPSIST
Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com

This is a map...

It's useful...

On the bottom right you will see the centennial bridge and the bridge of the americas...

On a side note... did not know there was a panama canal railway from colon to panama city...

sound like it would make a legit ride...

Jackthereaper

Reaction score
Ive oft dreamed of taking a modified formula offroad truck through the gap(most fun trucks ever). The problem is how much fuel, spares, food, etc you need to get through. Several support trucks (think gamma goats or gaz) would be necessary and the costs would be astronomical. Im assuming you would break every truck dozens of times given how rugged the terrain is. Working on even a race truck(simple) in the jungle would absolutely suck nuts.

I rode mx for my whole childhood and i still wouldnt attempt to push a motorcycle through the gap, those guys are absolutely insane.

Sadly im not quite that brave, adventurous, or well stacked with money. Looks like a hike through would be the least arduous journey given the terrain.

• Agree
Reactions: Juan Derlust

Odin

ANTISOLIPSIST
Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
The OP and title does not mention/ask about the Darien Gap... ::eek:ldman::

Troll Troll Troll your boat gently down the stream... Merrily Merrily Merrily Merrily the Internets but a dream!!

RoadFlower33

Born Wild
StP Supporter
Reaction score
On a side note... did not know there was a panama canal railway from colon to panama city...

sound like it would make a legit ride...
[/QUOTE]
yummy!!

RoadFlower33

Born Wild
StP Supporter
Reaction score

Troll Troll Troll your boat gently down the stream... Merrily Merrily Merrily Merrily the Internets but a dream!!

Seriously, @Jackthereaper this is off topic. Your just bringing up a new discussion based on a region were close to and a dream you have. Make your own post bud.

Ive oft dreamed of taking a modified formula offroad truck through the gap(most fun trucks ever). The problem is how much fuel, spares, food, etc you need to get through. Several support trucks (think gamma goats or gaz) would be necessary and the costs would be astronomical. Im assuming you would break every truck dozens of times given how rugged the terrain is. Working on even a race truck(simple) in the jungle would absolutely suck nuts.

I rode mx for my whole childhood and i still wouldnt attempt to push a motorcycle through the gap, those guys are absolutely insane.

Sadly im not quite that brave, adventurous, or well stacked with money. Looks like a hike through would be the least arduous journey given the terrain.

Jackthereaper

Reaction score

Op mentions Brazil, Peru, and Venezuela early in the thread so naturally i assumed he wants to drive to south america. Since ive pondered and somewhat researched this question myself i thought i would share any relevant knowledge and a personal dream. My apologies if you guys view that as thread jacking.

Odin

ANTISOLIPSIST
Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
Op mentions Brazil, Peru, and Venezuela early in the thread so naturally i assumed he wants to drive to south america. Since ive pondered and somewhat researched this question myself i thought i would share any relevant knowledge and a personal dream. My apologies if you guys view that as thread jacking.
[/QUOTE]

It's all good I don't particularly care... just felt like being cumbersome and pointing shit out...

And share the map.

pEace.

oh btw... I would want to be heavily armed to the teeth if I were to attempt getting through the darien... just my two cents.

Jackthereaper

Reaction score
Final post to attempt to be helpful. To op, this map shows the hard parts of central america to travel through, at least terrain wise. Most everywhere else there are roads . Highlighted in blue is roughly where the panama canal is.
1F4B0A07-D1E0-4061-A356-BB0E3DF98758.jpeg

This is a map of the area showing bridges crossing the as before mentioned 105 year old canal
790CBBFC-FC6E-4480-A780-C9E067818CDD.png

Looks like no traffic on the bridges even.
This is what lies further south / east of panama city that is the main impediment to driving from north to south america

As you can see no roads are built through from panama to columbia. You are are also in cocaine country which makes the crossing even more dangerous than just the terrain, plants, and insects.

Last edited:

RoadFlower33

Born Wild
StP Supporter
Reaction score

Preacher

Reaction score
Yep. Whole lotta nothing at the border. Plus there seems to be a pesky mountain range too. I'm imagining maybe it's a tad jungly.

Later Edit: Pic is from Google Maps. I went back for kicks and entered Panama Canal, then asked for driving directions to Colombia. Unfortunately I got:

Sorry, we could not calculate driving directions from "Panama Canal, Panama" to "Colombia"

Not trying to s**t on OP's parade. But if I was asking for walking directions that would then take me right into the Okefenokee Swamp I'd kinda like to know. Hopefully his destination isn't actually Colombia or Brazil or something by land.

Attachments

• Untitled.png
    Untitled.png
    2.9 MB · Views: 320
Last edited:
  • Haha
Reactions: roughdraft

Older Than Dirt

I'm a d-bag and got banned.
Banned
Reaction score
And industrial-strength insect repellent, malaria pills, and plenty of rock salt to get the leeches off your skin.

Is there a vaccine for dengue yet? Another thing for OP to google.

• Love It
Reactions: Jackthereaper

Coywolf

Make America Freight Again
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
I want to give props to @Odin and @Jackthereaper for commenting actually useful information and not just flaming the fuck out of the OP. Seeing so many posts like this recently is fucking sad on this website. Come on people.

Not calling people cunts would have probably benefited @NotmybestNotmyworst I get it. This is the exact reason why we have seen so many useful, long time users quit StP recently, people blowing little stupid 'ish like this up and making it look like this site is full of elitist POS's.....like r/vagabond.

A simple "this would be an easy Google search" or posting useful info would have sufficed. Why is this like the third time I've made this same comment in the past few weeks in threads that tend to have the same responders?

DWIBBLY

Reaction score
Crossing the canal itself is no problem. There are a couple bridges. And a couple (free) ferries. If youre looking to go from panama to south america, the real barrier is el tapon. That is another story

About us

• Squat the Planet is the world's largest social network for misfit travelers. Join our community of do-it-yourself nomads and learn how to explore the world by any means necessary.

More Info

Help us pay the bills!

Total amount
$10.00
Goal
$100.00

Latest Library Uploads