Coroplast Velomobiles with Coroplast Camper | Squat the Planet

Coroplast Velomobiles with Coroplast Camper

Rune

Reaction score
Website
www.perchance.org

Coroplast is what those political signs are made of. Its a very lightweight sturdy material.

Ive been wanting to make one of these for years.

Should be able to find the blueprints/instructions on that website [although I remember it costing money]

Seems like you need a good workspace and the right tools and parts and a way to get the coroplast to where youre going to be building it.

Just thought I would bring this up as an interesting way to travel.

Its human powered but you can probably hook a battery to it too to make it more road worthy.
It is VERY good for the environment and cheap to make, presumably.

I found out about this because I was very against driving gas powered cars and polluting the environment any more than it already is.

This contraption gives you a storage area, a way to get out of the rain, and stay warmer, and can carry more than one person if you make it a two seater, from what I remember.

I live for discoveries of multi-use things that will help the environment and promote freedom, and this is one of the greatest finds I have come across on the internet.

Last edited:
Reactions: Desperado Deluxe

Maki40

Reaction score
Its a bicycle with a shell. I prefer a bicycle without a shell and simply carry or attach a tent. Doesn't draw attention and can camp anywhere and get around much more efficiently. Plus, a tent will have some airflow and not be so claustrophobic and cheaper.

Last edited:

The Toecutter

The Patron Saint of Filth
Reaction score
I have a coroplast velomobile that I designed/built and converted to electric, and a used Milan SL velomobile that is currently unmotorized. I'm going to design/build a mobile shelter that can be towed by my electric velomobile. The electric velomobile itself is going to be a 100+ mph capable microcar with the Milan's aerodynamics when I get done with it, but in jurisdictions where it would be illegal to operate it in that manner, there will be a switch to limit the bike to 750W/28 mph assist with pedaling.

It will be so slippery to the air, that without towing a trailer behind it and with the electric motor disabled, I will likely be able to pedal it to 45 mph on flat ground in a sprint and see rolling averages of 20+ mph over long distances. Using the motor in a "street legal" restricted mode, it will be able to do 28 mph up most hills and on flat ground, much faster down hill or when sprinting(I can sprint to 50 mph in the unmotorized Milan velomobile). With a 2.5 kWh battery pack, range will likely be over 100 miles at 70 mph and over 300 miles at 35 mph with light pedaling, and it will be able to accelerate and corner like a sports car when operating unrestricted.

Towing a trailer will have a massive negative impact on its performance and range. Towing the trailer exclusively on my velomobile's battery pack might yield a range of only 50 miles @ 35 mph with a 2.5 kWh pack, and if the motor is shut off, pedaling up steep hills would be that much greater of a chore due to the added mass. But a trailer has the advantage of being able to store more batteries and more solar panels than the trike can, and I might be able to fit enough solar panels on the trailer to make holding 28 mph(legal electric assist limit for class 3 ebikes in much of the US) indefinitely in direct sunlight with light pedaling effort a viable proposition. Plus I could carry a battery pack in the trailer large enough to run a laptop computer, videogame systems, charge phones, even run a small plug-in electric stove burner. I could easily fit a 10 kWh pack of LiFePO4 batteries underneath the floor of whatever trailer I build, which would be enough power to play PS5 for hours a day, operate a small refrigerator, run lights and laptop as much as I want, cook meals, heat an electric blanket, even run welding equipment, power tools, or 3D printers for short durations! Alternatively, I could use the trailer's battery to recharge the bike's battery pack and extend travelling range, perhaps to around 300 miles at 28 mph. Both the trailer's battery and bike's battery could be refilled with grid electricity(which is often free at public parks, camps sites, or even businesses if permission is granted), plus the trailer would easily fit a 1 kW solar array, allowing me to use as much electricity as I could ever want living in such a small space.

Thinking of buying a chunk of land in a rural/wooded area and living out of such a trailer, while I figure out a more permanent shelter.

Last edited:

About us

• Squat the Planet is the world's largest social network for misfit travelers. Join our community of do-it-yourself nomads and learn how to explore the world by any means necessary.

More Info

Help us pay the bills!

Total amount
$10.00
Goal
$100.00

Latest Library Uploads