Complete Lifestyle Change

C

Cherub

So here I am at 32 years old looking to change things up. I have spent long enough trying to fulfill the agendas of companies that I didn't give a shit about. There is not one job that I have ever had that made life seem worthwhile... even when I was in an industry that revolved around one of my biggest passions (I am a car guy).

I caught wind of this vagabond lifestyle a couple years back and I knew it was something that I had to try. The two things that really draw me into this way of life are the freedom and the interaction with all kinds of people (at least that is what I gather from reading other peoples experiences).

I couple years ago I quit my job, sold all my things (other than a backpack of stuff), and got out of debt. I had to move back in with my family during this time and the craziest part is that I have never been happier even though to the outside eye, I look like I am going backwards. I watch all my friends doing what is expected of them (career, marriage, kids, purchase house, etc) and they are all stressed out and unhappy... a common theme I have seen with the "normal" lifestyle.

While that might work for some people (more power to them), I just can't see myself going down that road. In fact, the older I get the less any of that makes any sense to me.

I have been a bit of a pussy when it comes to taking the first step on my own so I am going to head over the the Road dog & Meet up section and see if I can find one of you to go with.

It's awesome to find some like minded people!

Last edited:

Matt Derrick

Retired Wanderer
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
youtube.com
cool man, it's encouraging to me to see another person my age on here, i've been under a lot of weird pressure to conform to a more normal lifestyle now that i'm getting older, and it's weird and i don't like it. what are your plans for the future?

Reactions: Kal and buffalobill

Matt Derrick

Retired Wanderer
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
youtube.com
Dude, I worked at a retirement center and I met young 86 years olds! We're kids forever!

haha true that, just try telling it to my parents. they've been on my ass a lot lately to get a real job/career. i know they do it because they care, but their concepts of stability are a car and house and kids all that, and i'm just not into it. "you're going to be 40 soon" is something they keep telling me that bugs the crap out of me (i'm 35)... also, i'm starting to feel like it's getting harder to find a girlfriend lately, because most women my age want that 'security' i'm just not into.

talking about it makes me feel so old, but i really don't feel any older than maybe 25. it's not like i'm in a damn walker or anything.

Reactions: phantomcat

Birdie

Reaction score
Are you their only child? I'm lucky enough that my dad kind supports this and focuses the college stuff on my siblings who are actually interested in it.

Try dudes! For rizzle, I've had some luck dating men. Everyone is different. I dunno, that stuff can be frustrating. Why don't you hit the road again, Matt?

It just so happens
we're talking on a post
Made by someone
who wants to hit the road
opportunity stikes!
New friendship!
Adventure!

Reactions: Matt Derrick

Tude

Sometimes traveler is traveling.
Reaction score
Nice intro!!! And it sounds like you are doing right by your life - Enjoy your future traveling!!

C

Cherub

what are your plans for the future?
I don't really have any plans for the future in terms of a specific end result. I come from a family that is all about planning and not once has it worked out well for me. Not to mention the crazy levels of stress that accompany planning and then things not going to plan.

If there is a plan, it's more of an internal one rather than an external one. I am focusing on two things really 1) learn to let go and not try to control the outcome of everything I do (essentially let go of planning) 2) follow my fears that are inline with my desires (the first being to get out on the road).

I have no idea where it will take me or where I will end up but I don't really need to. Right now I am focusing on overcoming myself because I seem to be my biggest block at the moment.

• Sad
D

Deleted member 20

Welcome to the site. Please use the search function to research your potential questions, read the stickies & the "Terms & Rules" inside the help section. Many subjects dont warrant duplicate & competing threads & a simple response post will work best for all. Good luck on the rest of your life.

D

Deleted member 20

Nope I write a variation of it to every new traveler & or new STP user. I remember what worked over a decade ago with my first account & how the mods all welcomed me with similar warnings. I especially like to reiterate this with anyone who has created a separate website/blog that chronicles their exploits to justify their new life choices to friends & family.

Anagor

Reaction score
Website
anagortravelling.wordpress.com
Hi!

So here I am at 32 years old looking to change things up.
I'm doing the same ... with 41 ... :)

I have spent long enough trying to fulfill the agendas of companies that I didn't give a shit about. There is not one job that I have ever had that made life seem worthwhile... even when I was in an industry that revolved around one of my biggest passions (I am a car guy).
I'm a computer guy. Turned my hobby into a job (freelancing) for years. But now I feel kind of like you.

I caught wind of this vagabond lifestyle a couple years back
For me it was last year.

and I knew it was something that I had to try.
Yes.

The two things that really draw me into this way of life are the freedom and the interaction with all kinds of people (at least that is what I gather from reading other peoples experiences).
Me too ...

I couple years ago I quit my job, sold all my things (other than a backpack of stuff), and got out of debt. I had to move back in with my family during this time and the craziest part is that I have never been happier even though to the outside eye, I look like I am going backwards. I watch all my friends doing what is expected of them (career, marriage, kids, purchase house, etc) and they are all stressed out and unhappy... a common theme I have seen with the "normal" lifestyle.
I feel the same. I quit my job (had my last regular work day last Friday) and for the next months I'll work freelance again to make some money (perhaps while traveling). I still have to get out of debt (but it's doable in a few months, it's not that much). Then I'll be really free.

While that might work for some people (more power to them), I just can't see myself going down that road. In fact, the older I get the less any of that makes any sense to me.
Yeah.

Yeah, I'm so glad I found this site here. There are other sites and blogs I got inspiration from, but StP in my opinion is the best place to be for resources and talk about this lifestyle.

cool man, it's encouraging to me to see another person my age on here, i've been under a lot of weird pressure to conform to a more normal lifestyle now that i'm getting older, and it's weird and i don't like it. what are your plans for the future?
You are still young. :p

Dude, I worked at a retirement center and I met young 86 years olds! We're kids forever!
Like my dad. He feels young, is open minded, told me more than once he feels much younger than he is physically. He's 75 ...

haha true that, just try telling it to my parents. they've been on my ass a lot lately to get a real job/career. i know they do it because they care, but their concepts of stability are a car and house and kids all that, and i'm just not into it. "you're going to be 40 soon" is something they keep telling me that bugs the crap out of me (i'm 35)...
I'm lucky that my parents supports me in what I'm into right now. I helped them quite a lot over the past 20 years, sacrificed some things I'd really like to do, I was always considerate of the special situation my family was in (especially while my mother was severely ill). I had long conversations with my dad about what I want to do in the future and he supports me, saying I should do what I want to do ...
also, i'm starting to feel like it's getting harder to find a girlfriend lately, because most women my age want that 'security' i'm just not into.
That's true I think. But there are women out there who think the same way as you/me do, some are here in the forum. :)
When it comes to "my age" I think in the range from like 20 to 40 age doesn't matter so much. I personally now couples F22/M42 and F41/M26 who are happy together. It's about your state of mind, how you think. For example, a neighbor is two years younger than me. He is married, two children, own house, two cars, career, etc. Totally different state of mind than mine, I guess.

talking about it makes me feel so old, but i really don't feel any older than maybe 25. it's not like i'm in a damn walker or anything.
I feel the same. :D

Cheers!

Art101

Reaction score
Welcome welcome welcome...its true that what society values seems so empty and false to alot of people these days but ti seems few will actually step out on the road and make the change so congrats on loosing the blinders

phantomcat

Reaction score
haha true that, just try telling it to my parents. they've been on my ass a lot lately to get a real job/career. i know they do it because they care, but their concepts of stability are a car and house and kids all that, and i'm just not into it. "you're going to be 40 soon" is something they keep telling me that bugs the crap out of me (i'm 35)... also, i'm starting to feel like it's getting harder to find a girlfriend lately, because most women my age want that 'security' i'm just not into..

I never wanted that 9-5 basic ass suburban life, despite going to college and of course hearing it all the time from my parents.. But even city hustle life isn't for me. I'm a musician so I need the city, but I prefer to spend greater time periods in nature and pass through and enjoy cities when I like. I've been moving around since I was 18 but now at 28 I'm finally gettin to enjoy sum post-grad school goalless meandering type traveling and living out of a car/tent besides the times I'm visiting my partner (who is my home base). Interestingly it only works with him because we're both travelers and are in an "open" relationship, so maybe that's your key for finding a gf? It's really nice and I'm enjoying it while it lasts although the traveling life leaves everything up for sporadic change. Anyway cheers to everyone on here for getting out of the corporate (normal) life!!

Reactions: Anagor

Matt Derrick

Retired Wanderer
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
youtube.com
Interestingly it only works with him because we're both travelers and are in an "open" relationship, so maybe that's your key for finding a gf?

without derailing the thread too much, yeah, i've put romantic relationships on the back burner until i can get back on the road again. 'normies' really don't connect with me the same way nomads do, so i gotta take care of this debt i have (dentist bills) then i'll be free again and hopefully find some people that are into giving the finger to society in the same way i do :p

Reactions: AAAutin and Anagor

phantomcat

Reaction score
without derailing the thread too much, yeah, i've put romantic relationships on the back burner until i can get back on the road again. 'normies' really don't connect with me the same way nomads do, so i gotta take care of this debt i have (dentist bills) then i'll be free again and hopefully find some people that are into giving the finger to society in the same way i do :p

Hell yeah man ::cat::

PeaceLoveHarmony

Reaction score
So here I am at 32 years old looking to change things up. I have spent long enough trying to fulfill the agendas of companies that I didn't give a shit about. There is not one job that I have ever had that made life seem worthwhile... even when I was in an industry that revolved around one of my biggest passions (I am a car guy).

I caught wind of this vagabond lifestyle a couple years back and I knew it was something that I had to try. The two things that really draw me into this way of life are the freedom and the interaction with all kinds of people (at least that is what I gather from reading other peoples experiences).

I have been a bit of a pussy when it comes to taking the first step on my own so I am going to head over the the Road dog & Meet up section and see if I can find one of you to go with.

Live free and much love brother !

Celeree

Reaction score
I hear what you are saying. I had that typical life that was brainwashed into me. It's depressing. Work a normal job to have a normal house and normal shit so you can be normal. Fuck normal! I'm in my 40's, a few years back I chucked it all to live in a van and hit the road. My family thought I went nuts. Maybe I did. Nuts is working the 9-5 paying every dime to have a piece of brick n sticks that may or may not ever be yours for 40+ years upon which you might get to retire, only to be too old and too broke down mentally and physically able to enjoy it. What kind of fucking life is that??!! I did that for years. I put my time in. Had a kid, did the job thing, had the house thing. All seemed so fake, putting on appearances of being 'happy'. I wasn't happy. I was miserable. Always looking for what was real, thinking there's got to be more to life than just this. If this is all their is then just fucking kill me now.

Yet when I let go of all that and my blinders came off, people questioned why I didn't want normal, couldn't comprehend it. I chucked everything and lived out of my van, met some great people, saw some shit. It was great and freeing for a while. But then family was real quick to find me a cheap house and get me set up. Pushing me to find a job, so I can be normal again. I can't believe I allowed it, but I did. I've kind of cheated, appeasing them a little bit to get them off my back. Right now I am appearing to be 'normal'. But what I am really do is slowly setting myself up to be free again. Currently off the road, but just until I can get some things set up. My partner is of like mind, and is willing to do this with me, thank goodness. We are currently getting our place onto some land, to be free of rent/mortgage, basically squatting on our own land. A home base we can return to. In the process of getting that set up and cutting expenses so we can hit the road again. Went back to school specifically to go into a field I can do remotely at the home or on the road. Partner is working now for funds to set this up. His kid is about to go off to college, so we won't be tied down as much. We are purposely setting this up so we can have some freedom to choose where we want to be. The patience thing is hard, especially reading here on others adventures.

The first steps are hard. But really, look at the alternatives. Best of luck!!

About us

• Squat the Planet is the world's largest social network for misfit travelers. Join our community of do-it-yourself nomads and learn how to explore the world by any means necessary.

More Info

Latest Library Uploads