Coffee on the Road | Page 2 | Squat the Planet

Coffee on the Road

J

Johnny P

McDonalds is also good for free refills....and if you can't find a cup in the trash...it's usually only $1 anyway..and then you get free refills....some McD's limit you to one refill, but most don't give a fuck....

I like to carry the little instant packets too and I'll make cold coffee on the train, and I'll bring canned cold coffee for train coffee too..

I'm a horrible caffeine addict...ask anyone I've ever traveled or lived with.

Justin Case

I'm a d-bag and got banned.
Banned
Reaction score
here is what i use, it is built solid works everytime stays hot for loooong time with lid outside in winter and doubles as insulated mug use for loose tea or put pine needles in for extra vitamin c
20 bucks or less at walmart and worth it.
http://outdoorproducts.com/coffee-press/
or just boil water with your grinds and pour in cup then top with a splash of cold water to make all the grinds settle at bottom of cup like the cowboys did it.
http://www.walmart.com/ip/Outdoor-Products-Coffee-Press-Purple/36547594
i heat water in one of these first
http://www.walmart.com/ip/Stanley-Adventure-Series-Camp-Cook-Set/16784406
combine that with a beercan stove and a thermos you have all you need

Preacher

Reaction score
I need coffee. Like I need cigarettes. NEED. We're taking what we use at home as much as our drip coffee maker. A cuban coffee maker. For me, I'll take this over an extra pair of pants in my pack any day. It's about the same size as a rolled up pair of jeans.
StoveTop-Espresso-Maker.gif

No filters necessary. 1/2 lb. Fill up the bottom part with water, put the strainer in, fill it with coffee (don't even have to measure, just fill it), screw on the top half, put it on a flame until the water is all drawn through the coffee and is in the top part. Taa-daa! Strong-ass coffee that will get anybody going. I've replaced the handle on top with a metal cabinet pull. Side handle? Eh, we'll see.

Edit: Bought mine in a chain supermarket. Sure you could get one in an ethnic market. And amazon definitely carries them.

Last edited:

RobHASboots

Reaction score
Choreador... it's like a thin-cotton-cloth 'sock'. You can put regular coffee grounds in there, and pour boiiling (or just-under-boiling temp) water through the grounds. This method is still common in latin america... 2 1/2 - 4 tspns of grounds works best... look to buy at hispanic food stores? Yea. You dont need the stand. Choreador sock is compact, works great for traveling light...

Attachments

• 1429681343817.jpg
    1429681343817.jpg
    291.5 KB · Views: 456

Jaguwar

Rebirthing phoenix
Reaction score
I'm gonna be using one of these. Yes it requires filters, but those are cheap, reusable, easy to steal if that's your thing, or can be substituted for paper towels anytime. Or hell, and cloth, really, you just need to filter this shit. It's lightweight too.
1867382e6a3fmjpg.jpg

Reactions: BrownStone NY

Art101

Reaction score
Used to just do cowboy coffee and strain the grinds with the teeth.Was telling the gf about how Nordstroms used to cheap ass all you could drink coffee in Portland.I think it was 25 centavos.

Preacher

Reaction score
Update after 2 weeks. Cuban coffee maker I posted about is working well with a backpacking stove. Again, no filters necessary and is strong like, well, cuban coffee, lol.

• Useful
Reactions: Jaguwar

About us

• Squat the Planet is the world's largest social network for misfit travelers. Join our community of do-it-yourself nomads and learn how to explore the world by any means necessary.

More Info

Help us pay the bills!

Total amount
$10.00
Goal
$100.00

Latest Library Uploads