cleaning bones - anyone have experience with this?

Levantiel

Reaction score
The best way i've found to clean bones is to put them in a pot ans simmer them (not boil) adding a dishwashing liquid like Dawn. It takes a few hours but the flesh will fall off and the bones will remain strong and not brittle.

Rolling Blackouts

Reaction score
A heavy solution of water and dollar store dish soap soak is the way to go for soaking land mammals. Be prepared for grossness and scrubbing and patience. Let that stuff soak for a few days - weeks. And don't use bleach! Let your bones dry for a few days (once devoid of flesh) and then soak them in peroxide for a week. After they're perfectly white, you may want to super glue teeth back in to jaws, etc, and I recommend spraying a clearcoat finish over the bones to keep their gloss.
If your carcass is really fleshy and gross, let nature do its thing, and I would recommend an above ground rot box, assuming the weather allows, and the smell won't bother folks. I've used old rabbit / rat cages in the past anchored to trees in the forest. About 1 in 5 of my carcasses gets stolen by mountain lions or other critters. so take that into account.
Flesh eating Dermestid beetles are another option, but climate, space, smell, and a consistent food sources for the beetles are required. I'd say an Ant Hill is a reasonable option, but climate again is a big factor. Desert sun is the absolute best for bone processing.
I'm currently processing a pygmy owl skull and a skunk - always natural death.
Here's a flick of a sculpture I threw together from several deer skeletons I collected last year. Its tacked together on a Madrone branch with finishing nails. It served as our gate keeper for our camp at AMF last year, and now lives in West Oakland.
11822537_1061721847171626_7299418970427278405_n.jpg

Last edited:

About us

• Squat the Planet is the world's largest social network for misfit travelers. Join our community of do-it-yourself nomads and learn how to explore the world by any means necessary.

More Info

Latest Library Uploads