City riding.

dirtyfacedan

Reaction score
I'm wondering, who the hell else rides the trains around their city? I ride home from work often, rec ride often...it's quicker than riding the bus (i'm fucking sick of riding buses, i do work on the damn things.). It does take longer in the sense you need to wait for them...but it's worth it. I guess I'm what a lot call a pussy rec rider..but it keeps me in shape till this job ends, and I can travel again. I haven't done a long distance trip in a few years. I know what goes where..how fast, and where to hop on/off. I know the dispatcher voices..i know the squatters by the tracks..the metal scrappers, the people who fish on the river, the people at the pubs along the line. I know of no one else in this city who does this...at least in the way i do. Other longer distance train riders seem to resent types like me, some say i give them a bad name. I ride the city a lot, dreaming of making some big trips...soon..again, soon. All the riding I have ever done is in western Canada. I have almost gotten into bar fights (i would have lost...for sure) over my ability to ride just as well as the tramps who stroll into town after a long trip, and i must admit, i want to be free..ride out, whenever the fuck i please..go where i want (at least when the season is right). this city is tying me down. anyways..enough rambling, anyone else ride the short line??

rootsong

Reaction score
that's kinda how i got started... the train always slow down on the outskirts of my town & at various points inside, and i had friends throughout, so sometimes i'd ride back and fourth whenever it came blowin thru. i'd ride the ladder & wave at confused drivers... back then i didn't pay much mind to the different types of cars, etc.. i'd still do it if it were in any way convenient where i live now, but it isn't. i think now i wouldn't want to get off... i'm stationary for a bit, working, but every time that whistle blows my restlessness rises up all crazy.

B

byrdster7891

my first ride was from my home town (san luis obispo) to guadalupe. thats maybe an hour down south from slo. i started doing that all the time back when i was 13. i got caught shoplifting and i wasnt allowed to travel for awhile so i jut went back and forth. i had some friends a couple blocks from the yard in guadalupe and i lived only a couple blocks from the yard in slo. i dont think its a bad thing at all.train riding in general is an awesome experience and to enjoy it in any cirumstances is totally bitchin.

E

eliothenson

Is guadalupe the town with a big refinery or something right across the tracks from an amtrak station? I got booted off there riding down from SLO to LA like a week ago, but I just ended up catching one of the empties on the same train 20 mintues later.

M

Mouse

fuck them

fuck all of them who think they are so fucking tough, smart, and better than others just for (what in the end are extremely minor) differences in culture or beliefs. Whether you're going cross country or cross town you're still all of the same cloth. everyone has a right to be proud of who they are and what they do but they have no right to tear down others for the same pride.

these inner hierarchies of bullshit need to stop. it's more about the general dream we all share. if you keep getting hung up on the boxed out stereotypes we're no better than the cliches of high school (double cliche! oops! haha)

R

rideitlikeyoustoleit

In the middle of Sacramento's downtown, trains going to and from Stockton run through tons and tons of times as day, never going more then 10 miles per hour. The tracks literally go through the entire grid (we have a downtown grid system).

B

byrdster7891

yeah guadalupe is the town with the big mill thing. a buddy of mine actually works there. its a tiny town and you can hear the trains all through it. i used to live in my friends trailer a couple blocks away from the yard and every night i could hear the trains coming and going. its easy to get caught there, thres so many damn workers all the time.

C

Clit Comander

i've ridden from northern seattle to georgetown. which was like 45 minute ride. And tonight for the hell of it i rode from one side of grand island,neb to the other side. which was like 10 mins long.

C

Clit Comander

byrdster7891 said:
my first ride was from my home town (san luis obispo) to guadalupe. thats maybe an hour down south from slo. i started doing that all the time back when i was 13. i got caught shoplifting and i wasnt allowed to travel for awhile so i jut went back and forth. i had some friends a couple blocks from the yard in guadalupe and i lived only a couple blocks from the yard in slo. i dont think its a bad thing at all.train riding in general is an awesome experience and to enjoy it in any cirumstances is totally bitchin.
i thought you could only really catch north from slo town.

B

byrdster7891

no you can go both ways. southbound usually gets you into downtown l.a. not esactly a fun place to wind up. it stops in Guadalupe at night, though.

Dillinger

Reaction score
I used to live in Lynchburg, near where tracks go through a college and always had to slow down (slow enough to get on at least). I could get from this college to the local mall. Thus is the story of my first experience ever.

E

eliothenson

Clit Comander said:
byrdster7891 said:
i thought you could only really catch north from slo town.

There are two southbounds every weekday, and catching out is really really easy. There's a bike path that goes along the whole yard, with an access point that puts you just about midtrain. Locals cut across trains all the time, too, so even if you get spotted it won't be obvious you're a rider.

About us

• Squat the Planet is the world's largest social network for misfit travelers. Join our community of do-it-yourself nomads and learn how to explore the world by any means necessary.

More Info

Latest Library Uploads