News & Blogs - China's Ghost Cities | Squat the Planet

News & Blogs China's Ghost Cities

outskirts

I ain't getting any younger.
Reaction score
China’s Ghost Cities

Since the autumn of 2012 I’ve been traveling around China documenting the so-called ghost city phenomenon and issues resulting from and causing a drastic rush to develop macro-infrastructure. This series is the result of my ongoing investigations about the places that have been dubbed ghost cities by the international media.

PODCAST
Ordos: The Land Of Many Palaces, A Talk With Filmmakers Adam Smith And Song Ting

By Wade Shepard, April 25, 2013, no comments
adam-smith-song-ting_DCE.jpg
This entry is part 5 of 6 in the series China's Ghost Cities
Two filmmakers are out in Ordos Kangbashi — a mythical new city in the middle of a desert in Inner Mongolia — trying to understand the rise of the New China. Listen to the podcast: [powerpress]

CHINA'S GHOST CITIES SERIES
Ordos Kangbashi: China’s Most Famous Ghost City Comes Alive

By Wade Shepard, April 13, 2013, one comment
This entry is part 6 of 6 in the series China's Ghost Cities
They came from from Henan, Shanxi, Guangdong, Beijing, and just about every other corner of China to start new lives in a remote outpost in the middle of the Ordos Desert. Elsewhere, they call this place a ghost city, but you better not say that to the people who live here.

A Journey To China’s Largest Ghost City

By Wade Shepard, March 29, 2013, 7 comments
zhengzhou-zhengdong-cbd-9.jpg
This entry is part 4 of 6 in the series China's Ghost Cities
Earlier this month, 60 Minutes claimed that Zhengzhou’s New District is a ghost city, but that’s not what I found.

Welcome To The Chinese Ghost City That’s Not Even Built Yet

By Wade Shepard, March 22, 2013, 2 comments
china-ghost-city-being-built.jpg
This entry is part 3 of 6 in the series China's Ghost Cities
This entry is part 3 of 6 in the series China’s Ghost CitiesA massive exhibition center stood vacant next to an equally desolate museum and theater, forests of high-rises reached up into the sky but sheltered nobody, and a sea of uninhabited buildings stretched out in all directions as far as I could see. I […]

Not Deserted! This Chinese Ghost City Is Peopled

By Wade Shepard, March 9, 2013, 2 comments
dantu-ghost-city-china.jpg
This entry is part 2 of 6 in the series China's Ghost Cities
This entry is part 2 of 6 in the series China’s Ghost CitiesThere were people in that city. There were walking on the sidewalks, driving cars, riding electric bicycles, talking on mobile phones, slurping noodles in restaurants, sipping cappuccinos in cafes, playing with children in parks, and doing exercises on the stadium’s track. There were people in that city, […]

CHINA'S #1 WHITE ELEPHANT
New South China Mall: An Update On The World’s Largest (Ghost) Mall

By Wade Shepard, January 6, 2013, 16 comments
new-south-china-mall-11.jpg
This entry is part 1 of 6 in the series China's Ghost Cities
It was supposed to have been the greatest shopping center ever built on the face of the earth. They built it and nobody came. The New South China Mall is still 99% deserted.

Read more http://thechinachronicle.com/chinas-ghost-cities/

http://thechinachronicle.com/chinas-ghost-cities/

Matt Derrick

Retired Wanderer
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
youtube.com
whoa. i would love to see that!!! im going to read the whole series now! thanks for sharing!

Reactions: James Maarsten

About us

• Squat the Planet is the world's largest social network for misfit travelers. Join our community of do-it-yourself nomads and learn how to explore the world by any means necessary.

More Info

Help us pay the bills!

Total amount
$10.00
Goal
$100.00

Latest Library Uploads