Charlie, a few people called me Super Subaru

Charlie

Reaction score
Website
www.facebook.com
Ha, and now I'm totally sick of driving altogether, glad that nick name never really caught on.

Anyways, I'm Charlie. I never officially introduced myself here. I've travelled around a bit, hitchhiking, road tripped in a Subaru. I get called a damn yuppy by a lot by dirty kids, and I get called a damn hippy by old farts. Whatever. I like having fun, which used to be like smoking, drinking and jamming, now it's like soccer, skateboarding, jamming. I used to work a 7-5 as a land surveyor, until I realized it's not me, it's the job, I can't work in a field that serves capitalists and expect to stay sane. A couple years ago I would just take breaks so I could have a "vacation" or I would quit my job to try to find myself or solve my problems that I have here at home. Well I succeeded out there, I found out what I didn't want to be and I found out that there's no leader for me to follow (don't give me any duhs on this). I'm quite literal, very generous, a fast learner, and a damn hard worker. Nowadays, I'm at the point where I've gotten to know myself well enough to not focus on getting sane, I'm sane now. Now my focus is to learn as much as possible and to enjoy myself as much as possible while stepping on as few toes as I can.

I've never hopped freight, I've already had enough bad experiences with BNSF police as a land surveyor. These days I don't wanna drive, I'd rather just hitchhike. I'm waiting on for next week to sell a motorcycle to a guy so I can afford this suh-weet longboard/skateboard. Then I'm gonna hitch to a Vipassana Center, have a crash course on deep meditation. Afterwards, I'm gonna hitch around western Washington, visit many skateparks, and attend many free classes for yoga, martial arts, dance, art, whatever. I'll also enjoy many opportunities to play soccer, baseball, football, basketball, frisbee golf, whatever. I'll also pack a Ukulele to do some minimal busking for bus fare, fairy fare, food. I recently found out that since I started attending college again, I can't apply for food stamps without paying taxes for working 20hrs/week (I say pay taxes because they won't accept volunteer work, it's gotta be tax payable). In response to that, I'll stay fed without income just fine by using a little creativity. I'm also a WWOOFer (World Wide Opportunity on Organic Farms), so on occasion I may setup camp and work on a farm for a while to learn some new work and get some good food and meet some people. I'm a college student studying music theory, I've only completed one class so far, but that was quite a learning experience in that class.

I'm chatty when it comes to a subject I'm comfortable talking about. I used to get riled up over politics and whatnot, but there's more to that than what I know and somebody else always knows more than I do, so I stay out of politics. I enjoy talking about things with motors (say 2stroke and you'll see me light up), sports, hobbies, holistic living, agriculture, music and music theory, crafts, adventures. Though I may be chatty when on a topic I enjoy, I know how to shut up and relax.

I'm usually in a good mood and quite playful, cheering up others, telling what jokes I can think of, I'm basically an adult that's a big kid, but I can hone down and get serious easily. My bad moods are difficult to bring on these days, I've been learning to recognize what things trigger depressed moods and how to deal with them. If I set my goals too high I'll get excited at first and burn up a bunch of energy (which I have abundant amounts of anyways), then I'll start running into failures, and even then, I don't get down in the pits, but then it only takes one more kick in the pants to break me (for example, somebody stealing my blanket from my tent after I've allowed that person to sleep there). Fortunately, I've learned to deal with these moods, tough it out, find somebody to reach out to who I can have a long conversation with (people at churches), and to get right down to the root of the problem.
I pack light and effective. This trip it'll be a small pack, one set of clothes (i'll be wearing), three pairs of socks, swimtrunks, sleeping bag, 12'x16' tarp (makes an awesome tent), cell phone, ipod touch (good for free internet access, camera, multitool), chargers, big sharpie marker, medical tape, garbage bags (water proofs my clothes, sleeping bag, skateboard) waterjug, bliss, hobotool, wallet, skate gear (padding, helmet), skateboard, ukulele, and a good book.

I also am a talented typist which means I can type several paragraphs with ease. I'll leave it at that for now, I think I covered just about everything that I feel is relevant for the folks here.

Oh, and I'm not a yuppy and I'm not a hippy, I'm not anything particular, but if I'm one thing, I'm a mountain man. I learned that when an old cowboy called me that.

Attachments

• Frozen.jpg
    Frozen.jpg
    31.6 KB · Views: 243
  • 043.jpg
    043.jpg
    248.3 KB · Views: 245
  • At Work.jpg
    At Work.jpg
    100.3 KB · Views: 208
  • OKTOBERFEST 3.jpg
    OKTOBERFEST 3.jpg
    8.1 KB · Views: 230
  • TAWANDA MUDDY.jpg
    TAWANDA MUDDY.jpg
    133.1 KB · Views: 206
  • Wheelie.jpg
    Wheelie.jpg
    56.6 KB · Views: 222
  • Top of Natapoc.jpg
    Top of Natapoc.jpg
    420.2 KB · Views: 220
  • Tawanda Painted.jpg
    Tawanda Painted.jpg
    495.8 KB · Views: 231
  • Olympia Trail.jpg
    Olympia Trail.jpg
    778.8 KB · Views: 236
Reactions: Matt Derrick

Matt Derrick

Retired Wanderer
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
youtube.com
hell of an introduction my friend! nice pics too. welcome to the site, let me know if you need anything or have any questions!

About us

• Squat the Planet is the world's largest social network for misfit travelers. Join our community of do-it-yourself nomads and learn how to explore the world by any means necessary.

More Info

Latest Library Uploads