Cats on the road?

A

Alec the Mouse

I just picked up a cat from a farm. He's a male and his name is Troll. I've raised dogs since I was young and cats are a whole new thing for me. Does anyone have any tips for...
- Leash Training
-Commands
-etc

He comes when he's called and seems to look at me as a companion, however I'm sure he has a thing or 2 (Or 30) to learn.

He is only 5 months.

Any help is greatly appreciated!

Tude

Sometimes traveler is traveling.
Reaction score
My cats are in house only but they know their names and come when called. The siamese is better at it though. Friend of mine used to raise Abyssinian cats who knew their names too - and when they were doing bad things - he would either spray them with a water spritzer or he'd make a 'SSSSSSSSST' sound - and I use that on my cats and it works - especially if I have not secured them and I walk out into the back yard and left the door open only to find one or the both of them standing on the second step into my back yard - SSSSST sends them back in. It's for their own safety at this point as they are indoor cats. But it is something to consider in training - to keep you cat safe.

Tried leashes on them and the ex-feral tabby just lays down and the siamese fights it and just rolls and eventually gets partially or all the way out with me being frustrated. However there is a couple people in my neighborhood who do walk slowly with their cats on a leash and the cats take their time but they walk as you would a dog.

I would say best thing is to get the kitten used to a small but secure harness on a leash. I say harness because they can squirm out of collars - and even some harnesses. (I tried the harnesses on my ferrets and even tried to take my guinea pigs out into the yard - not to walk of course but to just take out into an unfenced yard - hehe with no success).

So I'd really try getting Troll used to a secure harness with a good leash set up so as not to lose him (if you are planning on traveling with him - ?). And good luck too!!! I love my cats and do not want ever want to lose them.

E

Earth

my opinion on animals on the road remains the same, which is they shouldn't be.
why??
because if something happens to you, they are on their own which is not cool.
that being said, I'm sure there are folks who do so... travel with pets and such...
all I know is my animals wanna be right at home, where they know they are safe and sound... and yes sometimes its a drag knowing that I can't be gone for long, but it's cool, for they keep me straight...

Shakou

Reaction score
We did travel with my cat, Spore, for a few years before I ended up leaving him behind with my mother last time I was home. It's not always easy, but it can be done. My greatest advice to you is to make absolute certain you get him fixed and microchipped. An unaltered cat WILL wander once they hit sexual maturity and there's just no telling what that might mean for him. Leash training is relatively easy if you start him on it now and he grows up on it.

K

kokomojoe

I tried using a leash on my one cat but it didn't work out too well, she ended up just flipping around and getting her collar off. She'll come to me if I snap my fingers but that's about it. Every attempt i made to train them was a failed one. I'd say cats are alot more difficult to train than dogs.

P

Pheonix

I used rabbit or toy dog harnesses with my 2 cats, they tried to pull out of the harnesses and sometimes did. Cats are WAY more stubborn then dogs and if they don't want to walk they won't. Get them used to riding in a duffel bag. I used to have them leashed while in the bag (open of course) so if they tried to jump out they were still on a leash. Put some soft clothes or something in the bag, the duffel bag should be a comfortable safe place for them just like a cage when training a dog. Spraying them with water might work to keep them from pulling out of the harnesses but it might make them try to escape harder too. I just kept tightening the harnesses until they couldn't pull out of them or at least stopped trying. They eventually get used to the harness.

Hope all goes well for you and Troll.

A

Alec the Mouse

Well for an update. He's doing well on the leash, He seems to have a niche for exploring. Loves the outdoors and is finally working on following on the leash.

cport420

Reaction score
Seen this thread and wanted to add that on st paddys in savannah I seen a group of backpack kids and one had a cat with him perched on his shoulder while walking through a very mardi gras type crowd. The cat was as calm as could be. I was very fucking surprised and watched the kids set their packs down and the cat jumped down and laid down. I don't know how in the world that kid did that. But it was cool looking.

thapoet

Mr. Grizzly Bear bait
Reaction score
get a bell or rattle... train him to respond to the bell or rattle. catnip treats help with that. one ring to come immediately, 2 rings for something else, etc. once met a girl who had a cat trained for 30 different bell combinations. problem with cats.... they unlike dogs have a mind of their own. wander off in the middle o the night, bolt across roads, etc.... bond with it like another cat... nose rubs, cheek to cheek rubs, use ur finger tips to groom it.... i know all this sounds femme as fuck, but trust me.... also, cats are worse for flees than dogs... when you find a dusty lot, let him roll around in the dust as much as he wants. it keeps flees and lice down... if u are a city dweller, u risk the cats life everytime he is not leashed, if u are a woods camper, nightime is dangerous cuz of owls, BUT thats when cats like to hunt. they are very good at feeding themselves... ur more prone to lose a cat than a dog on the road... urinary tract imfections are common if they dont get enough water, and they like to "sip" water a dozen or more times per day. if u can, try to feed a cat twice per day at the same time since it is to hard to allow it to free feed on the road... finally, if u can get it to a vet, that would be good. feline aids, luekimia, and about 30 other diseases can leave him miserable and eventually u heartbroken.... in case u cant tell, i kinda like cats :)

• Useful
Reactions: janktoaster

About us

• Squat the Planet is the world's largest social network for misfit travelers. Join our community of do-it-yourself nomads and learn how to explore the world by any means necessary.

More Info

Latest Library Uploads