Canadian Press reporter looking for Canadian travellers | Squat the Planet

Canadian Press reporter looking for Canadian travellers

Laura Kane

Reaction score
Hi all,

I'm a Canadian Press reporter working on an article about the Canadian vagabond/hobo community and am looking to speak with Canadian travellers who train hop, hitch or ride share to get around while also using social media or sites like STP.

If you're interested in chatting about your experiences, I'd love to hear from you. I can be reached here or at laura.kane@thecanadianpress.com. I am based in Vancouver and would also be interested in meeting up with anyone who is currently here.

In case you're not familiar with our organization, The Canadian Press is Canada's national news wire like the Associated Press, serving major newspapers, radio stations and online publications. If you have any questions for me, I'd be happy to answer them.

Thanks, and I'm looking forward to hearing from you,

Laura

Tude

Sometimes traveler is traveling.
Reaction score
Cool - we do have several people who are there. (no it's up there ;). I see the site owner gave you a thumbs up. Hopefully you will get some people to chime in :) Good luck!

ATX

Reaction score
I'm a dual citizen with the US and do a bit of traveling in both. I'm actually heading out to Canada next week, and might head to Vancouver from the east. When are you looking to do this by?

Laura Kane

Reaction score
Too bad, that would have been great but the story is going to be published Sunday! I'm hoping to speak to people in the next few days. If you can talk on the phone, let me know. Thanks a ton.

ATX

Reaction score
Darn. I'd be willing to, but I'm in the US right now with a US cell. I've had some difficulty calling my family so I don't know how easy it would be to set that up. Perhaps via email? Let me know haha.

Reaction score
Hi all,

I'm a Canadian Press reporter working on an article about the Canadian vagabond/hobo community and am looking to speak with Canadian travellers who train hop, hitch or ride share to get around while also using social media or sites like STP.

If you're interested in chatting about your experiences, I'd love to hear from you. I can be reached here or at laura.kane@thecanadianpress.com. I am based in Vancouver and would also be interested in meeting up with anyone who is currently here.

In case you're not familiar with our organization, The Canadian Press is Canada's national news wire like the Associated Press, serving major newspapers, radio stations and online publications. If you have any questions for me, I'd be happy to answer them.

Thanks, and I'm looking forward to hearing from you,

Laura
Hi Laura, My name is Tom Stephens from Truro, Nova Scotia, Canada. I am currently in my 18th year traveling the planet (minus an education break) having lived in South Korea,Japan,Kingdom of Bahrain,Germany, United States, and currently living in my 6th Chinese city,Zhanjiagang, PRC.

Inspired by the old Canadian TV show "The littlest Hobo" I have always been a hobo at heart, at a young age taking bike trips and sleeping in ditches/under underpasses. After obtaining some marketable skills I have since morphed from a young hobo to what I now consider myself a professional hobo or "Probo." I am new to this online community of travelers, but feel accepted as our core principles seem to gel. I think also more Canadians wandering the Terra is great for both the World and the traveler.

What is driving people to "go walkabout?" I think that would be the main driver of your piece. As you peel that onion, I think my best answer would be the need to unplug ourselves from the 24/7 whiplash reality. That feeling that finds us in a mirror and feels like careening down a hill in a pick-up truck driving with our knees. People inevitably want to seek something simple while at the same time being challenged. It's not about bumming around the World on a dollar a day, which can be cool, I think it is more about finding your resourcefulness.

I hope you find this helpful. As this site has empowered me and has brought me back to why I got started back in 1997.

Cheers! Tom

About us

• Squat the Planet is the world's largest social network for misfit travelers. Join our community of do-it-yourself nomads and learn how to explore the world by any means necessary.

More Info

Help us pay the bills!

Total amount
$10.00
Goal
$100.00

Latest Library Uploads