Camera gear to bring on a trip | Squat the Planet

Camera gear to bring on a trip

MFB

Reaction score
Does anyone have a good camera they use when they travel ? I’m thinking a common rebel
*canon rebel?
Arent you the guy that was looking for a 'conrad' instead of a comrade? 😂

If Im reaaaally travelling I dont take anything that I would care too much if it got lost, broken, or stolen. I have a lil sony point and click, or just use my phone.

If im car camping or just doing a few days somewhere I have a nikon d3500 that I am really happy with.

• Agree
Reactions: Bushpig

Bushpig

Reaction score
For almost anyone, I'd recommend a smartphone. Especially if you plan to hop trains. You don't wanna lug a bunch of gear if you just plan to take some short clips and pretty snapshots. Smartphone cameras are more than capable of showing what most people want to show. If your photos aren't going to be printed large or in a high-end book, your phone will more than suffice.

Matt Derrick

Retired Wanderer
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
youtube.com
moved to the tech section of the travel gear forum.

TheUndeadPhoenix

The Necromancer King
Reaction score
Website
instagram.com
If you have the money for a high end camera, you're better off getting a high in smartphone instead. Unless you're shooting pictures with a super zoom lense, most smartphones have equal or greater cameras than more digital cameras on the market. I might be wrong but I think there's phones with 4k cameras in them now.

If you want to shoot with film, completely disregard this. I have no idea about film cameras.

Matt Derrick

Retired Wanderer
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
youtube.com
If you have the money for a high end camera, you're better off getting a high in smartphone instead. Unless you're shooting pictures with a super zoom lense, most smartphones have equal or greater cameras than more digital cameras on the market. I might be wrong but I think there's phones with 4k cameras in them now.

i partially disagree with this, i mean, yes, smartphone cameras are getting quite good, but the lenses are what make the difference (most of the time). the sharpness of glass you get in a dslr or micro 4/3rds is always going to beat a smartphone, every time. but, they're also very expensive.

i would agree that these days, unless you're going for an epic level of photography, most travelers would be fine with just a smartphone that has a decent camera. (i.e. galaxy s8 and up, pixel 3 and up, etc).

Last edited:
D

Deleted member 24782

If you want to shoot with film, completely disregard this. I have no idea about film cameras.

Smart phones aren't all that great for "serious" photographers because there is no viewfinder, so sometimes the screen isn't even visible because of light deflection, and you can't aways rely on handholding a cell phone to get a good shot.

Bushpig

Reaction score
I use a medium format SLR (RB67) for my serious stuff. But unless I'm on a roadtrip in a vehicle the whole way, (not hitching), I use my smartphone. They're perfect for snapshots that are just gonna put online.

I understand that phones don't give the level of control needed for serious photography, but for most people, they're MORE than enough.

Coywolf

Make America Freight Again
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
It's all about that GoPro life for video. My Galaxy S9 works just fine for still photos. Cameras are heavy and awkward. Having the priorly mentioned equipment, is perfect for traveling/riding.

MFB

Reaction score
It's all about that GoPro life for video. My Galaxy S9 works just fine for still photos. Cameras are heavy and awkward. Having the priorly mentioned equipment, is perfect for traveling/riding.
Dooder, I love GoPros. The are tiny, and close to indestructible, user friendly with all kinds of good features. But. I had a GoPro 2 and everything I filmed was so jerky its hard to watch; I got a newer version with stabilization and it's still really hard to get smooth footage when it's not attached to that lil gimbal thingy. Most of what I video is running/climbing. maybe I'm expecting to much?

Reactions: SenRex

Coywolf

Make America Freight Again
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
I just picked up a hero 7 black, with enhanced video stabilization, so I have to see how that goes, I'm going to film something tonight and watch the footage.

Reactions: MFB

Matt Derrick

Retired Wanderer
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
youtube.com
The stabilization of the gopro 7 and up is pretty amazing. Unfortunately it relies on there being enough light, so the stabilization really suffers at night. It's definitely fine for video blogging though.

• Useful
Reactions: SenRex and Coywolf

About us

• Squat the Planet is the world's largest social network for misfit travelers. Join our community of do-it-yourself nomads and learn how to explore the world by any means necessary.

More Info

Help us pay the bills!

Total amount
$10.00
Goal
$100.00

Latest Library Uploads