Cactus from Texas

Cactus

Reaction score
Hey y'all, I'm Cactus from Texas born and raised and I have no pride or shame in that. I could ramble on for a while, but I will keep my subject based on myself and travel.
For most of my life, I have felt really different than the people around me who gave me outlines of school, college, marriage, kids, retirement, etc. It felt really bleak and unlively to me. A way to escape that preconceived lifestyle was for me to fantasize about backpacking and traveling to far away places to see and experience amazing places and people.
Up until now, that has been only a fantasy. I have traveled by car and plane to a couple different states, but I would definitely not say that I am well versed in traveling. About a year ago, I got arrested for the first time and I got put on probation. Probation made me feel chained down and I went back to the fantasy of picking everything up and leaving.
Back in May, I fell in love with a man who was beginning his journey as a van dweller. I hadn't given much practical thought to this being an applicable lifestyle for me. After seeing his lifestyle and reaching out to more people online (and at Rainbow Gathering), reading forums, watching videos, etc. i decided to buy a van.
Five months later, I found a super sick deal on Craigslist of a man who decked out a 2002 Ford Econoline hightop into a camper. I bought it in an instant. Jump to now, and I have left my apartment after some serious purging and I am living in the van in a friend's driveway until I am off probation. The reason I decided to live in the van before I was ready to leave was so I could run an experiment in a controlled environment. I wanted to see if the van lifestyle is for me and how dedicated I am to achieving the goals I have set.
As of now my goal is to find work in the Reniassance circuit and do WOOFing in between fairs to gain practical skills and experience. I have yet to fully explore this site so I am sure there is plenty to learn about monetary gain and the ins and outs of van life. I know it's not the cushy rainbow and butterfly bullshit people share on Instagram. It's going to be difficult and things are going to suck and I am going to want to quit. I have no expectations of this being "easy". I am ready for the challenge. I am ready for the change. I was meant for more than a consumerist life in a Texan suburban neighborhood.
I look forward to making connections with you beautiful people! I welcome all feedback or messages.
Peace y'all!
(Yeah, we really do say it)

-Cactus

Sent from my Z813 using the Squat the Planet mobile app!

Last edited by a moderator:

Coywolf

Make America Freight Again
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
Damn, you were so close to being able to hit the Rubber Tramp Rendezvous in Arizona, they could have answered any of your questions there. Try hitting it up next year. Welcome, Im also in Texas, for the first time, in Austin.

Reactions: Tude

WeekendWarrior88

Reaction score
Welcome to StP!

It sounds like you already know what you're doing pretty well. And you have a good solid plan, and props on prepping before hitting the field. If you've been successful for a decent amount of time so far, you won't have many problems so long as you maintain your van. Do you have much mechanical knowledge? Being a captain of a fine vessel, it's beneficial to know how to acknowledge problems that arise, in your home away from home. Also, you might want to contemplate emergency plans if the van fails. My first choice for an emergency plan would be, find a farm that you can volunteer at and park the van at, and then find a job to afford parts or repairs. Also, for emergency tow service, AAA is fantastic, I had a membership with them for 10 years and they always helped me when I was in need. Last resort, van becomes beyond repair "When in doubt, there's a greyhound station somewhere about." That's always been a good backup plan for me. But then also storing the funds (it costed $296 to greyhound from Ocala Florida to Leavenworth Washington as of Feb 15 2012), so I think about $500 "emergency go-home" money is sufficient. However, that year, make and model is awesome (don't know about the motor, I assume it's 5.0 liter? auto transmission?), parts are common all across the country, and many people know how to work on it. So for any mechanical issues it may have, it shouldn't be beyond repair.

I'd love to hear more about the Renaissance Circuit.

Last edited:

Tude

Sometimes traveler is traveling.
Reaction score
Wow - awesome intro and welcome to STP! Really sounds like you are doing the research and are on a path - this site should yield some good info as well as other input from some members in likewise traveling situations. And that rubber trap rendezvous that @SIB suggested sounds like it would be a fun meet up and a great experience! Have fun and may that probation go fast. :)

About us

• Squat the Planet is the world's largest social network for misfit travelers. Join our community of do-it-yourself nomads and learn how to explore the world by any means necessary.

More Info

Latest Library Uploads