By way of introduction | Squat the Planet

By way of introduction

Reaction score
Website
www.manintweed.com
Greetings all,

I'm de-lurking to say hello and thank you. I've been steadily reading for a while and since I feel comfortable enough that I'm about to give input on a couple of topics I thought I should post here first.

The TL/RD is that I am a forty-something Canadian dude sending everything he learns back to his 14/16 year old self to create an alternate universe where new me is not bound by the overbearing and abusive household he grew up in. Psychologically and theologically suspect? Maybe. But on the off chance that it works alterna-me is probably a moderator on the board so be nice or I will send thoughts trying to get alterna-you muted for a week. ;).

I am a librarian by schooling, a skilled tradesperson by training (mechanical insulation), and a wanna-be cleric of non-evangellical Christianity/ Buddhism (Theravada-ish) by study, inclination, and relative boredom.

Think of me as the cleric/scholar your D&D adventuring party comes to talk to every few levels to figure out what that weird sub-plot is all about or the guy who will tell the Bible-thumper why their theology is wrong after we've all had a chance to punch them in the face. [It's one of the reasons I deconstructued if you happen to know what I'm talking about or follow the exvangelical movement.]

I haven't hitched or ridden the rails but I have lived out of a suitcase in a hotel for months and sold a bit of my soul in the Alberta oil-sands to pay the mortgage. What I do know is how to research, how to explain things, and how fucking aggravating it is to have to rebuild your sense of self after three plus decades on the planet. Hopefully I can help provide some context or assistance whenever something comes up.

If you need someone to yell at regarding the stupidity of Christianity I can listen. Fuck, I can probably provide extra examples. If you are deconstructing I can give you some of the resources I found useful. I can also point to some of the hopefully less than useless variants and options in the Xian tradition if you want them. I refuse to try and convert you though. That shit's up to you.

If you need someone to dig through government websites I can do that with pleasure (what can I say, I'm odd and mildly specialized in library school).

All in all I will probably be one of the quieter members but I hope I can contribute even if only a little.

Cheers,

Mike

Barf

Staff member
Reaction score
Welcome Mike.

What must one do to obtain the title "librarian"?

I've got nothing but respect for the fine folks that manage our public book depository.

Hell, at my local library I can check out old copies of MAD magazine. Very cool when you can be the first to do the fold in from years ago.

Stick around for a bit, eh? I'm about due for another existential crisis. They always happen in three year increments.

<3
Barf

Reaction score
Website
www.manintweed.com
Welcome Mike.

What must one do to obtain the title "librarian"?

I've got nothing but respect for the fine folks that manage our public book depository.

Hell, at my local library I can check out old copies of MAD magazine. Very cool when you can be the first to do the fold in from years ago.

Stick around for a bit, eh? I'm about due for another existential crisis. They always happen in three year increments.

<3
Barf

In my particular case I got a BA/MA in English Literature and then got a Master's in Library and Information Science.

About us

• Squat the Planet is the world's largest social network for misfit travelers. Join our community of do-it-yourself nomads and learn how to explore the world by any means necessary.

More Info

Help us pay the bills!

Total amount
$10.00
Goal
$100.00

Latest Library Uploads