Brother Kev introduction | Squat the Planet

Brother Kev introduction

Brother Kev

Reaction score
So I'm 52 come July. Going to be homeless come August 15th. I'm in Tucson. Only way I'm staying in Tucson is if a place to crash comes through. But it would be temporary. Some folks wanted me to go to a mega homeless shelter. No. I have a significant disability. And I can't be in a big shelter, if you follow what I mean. So I lived in Flagstaff a long time before I got stuck here. So I said to myself, if you don't find that place to crash, go back to Flagstaff!!!

So that's my plan. I'm going to be homeless period whether I am here in Tucson or in Flagstaff. So if that's how it is, I want to choose where I live. I know Flagstaff. And it isn't 103 degrees there trying to sleep outside.

I've got my gear ready to go. Whatever manifests, I'm ready. I don't need much. I live simply. I went through my dark night of the soul thinking, damn, is my choice this big homeless shelter or nothing? And a dawn opened up and said "Go back to Flagstaff where you can be at peace with this situation. If you are offered a place to crash in Tucson, fine. But that ain't going to last forever." And I finally had some hope that I would be ok and I'm not stuck and at the mercy of "the system". Then I found this site here and figured I ought to join.

Any

Spazz

Reaction score
Welcome here and you're making total sense, little brother. I had my own dark night of the soul and was fortunate enough to meet some great people who were a little bit further down this path than us.

You've got your head on straight and you refuse to be a victim. You're going to be fine. I was homeless in the '80s and it was a lot easier then, but we'll be okay.

Just adjust your attitude a bit and remember that the people who have the knowledge and the power to help you are the same people we were raised and trained to dismiss and deride. When asking for help, a little respect goes a long way.

Living in a car isn't that much different than living in a house, just much smaller. If you don't have a car, that's okay too. There's a lot of good info on this site. Just research this project the same way you would anything else and you'll be surprised how little money you need to be happy and how stupid consumerism actually is.

Great bunch of folks here and it looks like the mods are doing their jobs when the trolls show up.

Brother Kev

Reaction score
Thanks for the reply. It's been a helluva two months---lots has happened to me these past two months. But I look at it as I'm going to finally have a choice on where I want to go. I'm a busker (play Native American Style flute) so as long as I've got my music, I keep myself level and make a couple bucks wherever I go.

I will learn much from this site. Thank you for welcoming me.

Crazy Hobo Johnny

Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
Welcome to StP Brother Kev!
Think of the freedom you have: no rent or house payments. No bills to pay except cell phone, etc.
I'm camping out along the Mississippi River on vacation and as I lay inside my tent I think to myself, wouldn't it be nice to live here than have to pay rent?
Anyway, Brother Kev, Welcome Aboard!

Brother Kev

Reaction score
Yes, that's very true. I live a simple life. I don't like complicated things and fuss. Absolutely no desire for wealth. My flute, books, walking stick, clothes, a few small tools, and personal hygiene gear is the extent of possessions I require. A few small items that have meaning to me. All portable. I'm big on things being portable. Saw people make terrible decisions because they couldn't bear to leave a house full of possessions behind. Yes, no rent, no expenses....

Reactions: Crazy Hobo Johnny

About us

• Squat the Planet is the world's largest social network for misfit travelers. Join our community of do-it-yourself nomads and learn how to explore the world by any means necessary.

More Info

Help us pay the bills!

Total amount
$10.00
Goal
$100.00

Latest Library Uploads