Broadway the hard way. Here goes------>

Ashiptoolate66

Reaction score
Not all who wander are lost, unless they are train hopping solo with no idea what they are doing.

Confident there would be a wealth of discussion and tutorial classes on Youtube U,
I have fallen down a rabbit hole that I now see as one of the best kept secrets on the entire WWW. I get it. The world is broken down in key sub groups, and every endeavor has its % of hedonist , unscrupulous idiots. Those who exist to create acts that feed the insatiable needs to be liked and followed. More power to you. A favorite passage from a favorite musician, "Whatever you want to do to have a good time , just get on with it, as long as it doesn't cause a murder"

As one who doesn't care if anyone likes me and walks quietly through the world certainly not to be followed.
I now ask myself if I just need to jump in and learn on the fly or wait until I have watched Shoestring, Stobe and the forge guy long enough to get tiny morsels from them. With my destination being Minneapolis, the time I have left before the big freeze is growing thin. May just have to put the trip off another year.

My question is whats gonna happen if I jump on in Phoenix, somehow get through Elpaso and jump off in Kansas City???
That is more than a hop skip and jump. Will I find people along the way that want to help? What would I have to offer them? I have no idea, but I am sure that I am not waiting till next year. Maybe I will see some of you on my journey. If I survive KC

I hope the nature of this forum might lend a more thoughtful approach to my compulsion.

Very glad to be here.......James in Phoenix

Ashiptoolate66

Reaction score
Not all who wander are lost, unless they are train hopping solo with no idea what they are doing.
I have fallen down a rabbit hole that I now see a very carefully guarded Secret.
The reason I'm editing this introduction is because I didn't intend to insult anyone by mentioning people that are Reckless. That's their own business.

My Hope Is that I will find conversation that leads me to take out this adventure with a little bit of knowledge instead of just going off recklessly .
I have no problem living off grid.
I have been for the last 10 years I just haven't used the rail as a means of transportation.

Looking forward to this new chapter thank you for your patience and as always forgive run-on sentences and poor grammar

Last edited:
Reactions: Bootbum Henry

Ashiptoolate66

Reaction score
I didn't read everything I should have and I just now realized the policy on train hopping discussion .
I need to be more involved in conversation before I can even get to that room so I apologize for that .

I'm looking forward to accessing that part of the Forum. Thank you for your patience

Last edited:
  • Thank you
Reactions: Bootbum Henry

Joey Garbanzo

Muscle of the DiPinto Crime Family
Reaction score
Welcome to STP,personally I'd get some gear and try hitchhiking or even a few greyhound trips and sleep out. Get used to using your gear, learn how to make shelter out of a tarp, get some experience before making your way cross country. Besides, you may very well run into another traveller/dirty kid willing to go with you.

If you don't have any experience and knowledge of how the railroad works I'd stay off of trains for now. It's a great way to wind up marooned in the middle of nowhere, or killed. Do your research first and go with a more experienced rider.

This article is a good example of what I'm talking about.

About us

• Squat the Planet is the world's largest social network for misfit travelers. Join our community of do-it-yourself nomads and learn how to explore the world by any means necessary.

More Info

Latest Library Uploads