• Hey folks, we've recently updated the forum software and are in the middle of getting everything back in place. I hope to have everything back online soon!

Breaking the Facebook cycle

ScumRag

Wayfarer
Lifetime Supporter
Current Location
San Diego
Reactions
92% 2% 7%
-precursor- i didn't know where else to post this but in a&m-

so a few days ago i called it quits on FB. call it anger, animosity, or just tired of the platform itself....there's been so many reasons for A LOT of ppl to avoid it altogether but for me it was just lack of empathy from my so-called "friends". & they're all a mix of highschool ppl, guys i travelled with, FNB people, guys i partied with or met in jail... some complete strangers: attached to me cuz of their significant others... So an odd mix of individuals...

But when a sniper (later recognized as a woman off her meds with an airsoft rifle) was taking pot shots at runners in downtown San Diego & i posted about it, the lack of "are you okay?" or even an "oh shit! thats hella close to your pad" literally pissed me off to the degree of being done with facebook. maybe ppl were offline you say, or just busy with their lives & for that i digress but even 12 hours AFTER still no concern i bagged the account and said "no more".

So what has become of us as a society that can't so much as reach out via phone or email after a violent attack as this??

Don't know where I'm going with this but felt it should be shared....
Stay off FB & spend time on squattheplanet instead. I've felt more connection here than anyother platform... And FUCK mark fuckerberg too!!

palmazon

oldest professional
StP Supporter
Current Location
La Habra, CA
Reactions
97% 0% 2%
Facebook is to human connection what televangelism is to spirituality. I've been held up at gunpoint by more honest individuals...

Current Location
Earth
Reactions
100% 0% 0%
Just quit FB too. It's a total time-waster.

Coywolf

Sir Drinks-A-Lot
StP Supporter
Current Location
Moab, UT
Reactions
95% 0% 4%
I troll StP way worse than I ever trolled FB.

That should say somethin' about all you fukers! ::drinkingbuddy::

Coywolf

Sir Drinks-A-Lot
StP Supporter
Current Location
Moab, UT
Reactions
95% 0% 4%
But I swear to god, @Matt Derrick if you ever sell any of the ficticious personal data I've put on this site to LiveUnderABridge Analytica, I'm totes breaking up with you. ::rules::

Sole Survivor

War... War never ends
StP Supporter
Current Location
9 Wigan Rd, Bayswater VIC 3153, Australia
Reactions
92% 4% 4%
But I swear to god, @Matt Derrick if you ever sell any of the ficticious personal data I've put on this site to LiveUnderABridge Analytica, I'm totes breaking up with you. ::rules::
thats how Matt makes his money. Snitching to the police about the where abouts and goings ons of all you hoboes. So just thank matt when you get woken up by the pigs at 2 in the morning sleeping under that bridge and getting asked what you're doing there.

marmar

Wayfarer
Current Location
North east of us of a
Reactions
90% 2% 8%
There is a good book on the subject called "filling the void:emotion, capitalism and social media". I took it at a library, so y'all can check it out too. It pretty much breaks down on how Facebook and co operates.
It's all about money for big corporations. They set up their algorithms based on solely that interest. No-one cares that people don't see your posts. And it is true, they don't see you posts in their feed. Even if it's your suicidal note. It is really nothing personal, altho a lot of people, myself included, tend take it that way. It is how Facebook operates. If you care about amount of followers there are ways to do it, I mean, there is a profeasion called social media marketing advicer, because people hire those to get followers. It is all business and capitalism. No wonder it is a turn off for people who aren't into that. I also hope fpr squat the planet to never turn into that ditection. Even tho, I'm sure making $ of the web must be tempting

Current Location
Cincinnati ,OH
Reactions
99% 0% 1%
FB is the downfall of society, havent had one since like 2010. Useless in my eyes, so much time is wasted by ppl glued to their phone already

Odin

ANTISOLIPSIST
Lifetime Supporter
Current Location
Earth
Website
www.youtube.com
Reactions
99% 0% 1%
Funny, back then it was just a funny feeling...

Guess I just wasn't a joiner...

Now it seems like prophesy.

Cheers!

::drinkingbuddy::

To not conforming.... ::alien::

rana y sapo

previously guy w. face
Lifetime Supporter
Current Location
Romancoke, MD
Reactions
97% 1% 2%
gonna play devil's advocate here - i find Facebook to be really useful, especially the timeline feature and it keeps all my photos and no seriously it's a crock of shit

Donate to StP!

Hey folks, the donation widget is temporarily broken, so if you'd like to donate to help keep StP going with the paypal link below, I would sure appreciate it! There's a lot of new features I'm looking forward to bringing to the site (but unfortunately they cost money).

https://www.paypal.me/MatthewDerrick

Latest Status Updates

Who is in Olympia? Bored af.
pretty much spent the day filling out job applications and sobbing because no one will hire me and i've been at a literal stall in my life for the past 3-4 years.
who are you?? Gene Autry, or something???
You either color inside the lines or you don't...or you're like me and make your own damn picture!