Border towns/Customs | Squat the Planet

Border towns/Customs

Russ T

Reaction score
Looking for info on border towns specifically. When thumbing into Mexico which ones should I avoid? Any advice on how to get through safely. Also any advice on going through customs on foot. Any info on hot spots like collectives, punk houses, squat actions would be way useful.

MrD

Internet SuperHero
Reaction score
Website
www.sometimesmotion.com
Yeah I did that, didn't find what I was looking for. Got any more good advice?

Oooh, well that's too bad.

Not really, I have only tried crossing into Canada and I did not make it in.
I guess the best advice I could give is on crossing by foot. Just try and look as normal as possible, It can only help you.

Best of luck finding what you are looking for!

cielo

Reaction score
Russ, currently in mexico. no worries about going in. they welcome americans, even if u look different its okay. remember your going into mexico, not the states, they definatly will give u more trouble. but u have to pay a tax of like 25 or 30 dollars upon entry. its just a tax for being american. and my advice is get a ride before you cross just because it can be dangerous, not necessarily with the cops and border patrol but other people. i crossed over from brownsville, louisana to monterrray. i caught a ride from new orleans that my friend actually found for me by craigslist. but before that i had planned on hitching too. now i have been here 4 months and have had to do quite a bit of hitching because im traveling with my dog, and dogs are not allowed on the buses here. but let me tell u the buses are super cheap and go really far and are so easy to find. even just standing on the hiways u can flag down a second or third class bus and if it has room it will stop. on 30 dollars u can go 1000 kilometers.
also find a ride to take u past all the border towns. u will be better off. and lots of americans traveling alone may want the security of another passenger. what exactly are u hoping to do, or where do u want to go. i can give more info if u want. i came not knowing anything at all, but in my time of traveling have learned a little more and would be happy to share with u to help make your journey easier or feel better. mexico is completely opposite of the u.s. i have mostly a postive view of mexico, but it all depends on where u are going. im sure u know that u will need a passport though. okay i said alot, good luck.

About us

• Squat the Planet is the world's largest social network for misfit travelers. Join our community of do-it-yourself nomads and learn how to explore the world by any means necessary.

More Info

Help us pay the bills!

Total amount
$10.00
Goal
$100.00

Latest Library Uploads