Books that have inspired you in life

Sonny

Reaction score
Website
www.facebook.com
Im not much of a reader, so when I do pick up a book it usually has to be exactly what I want, which can be a problem and I usually end up not reading anything. This forums probably a place where I can find a lot of people who have similar mindsets, so hopefully share similar tastes in literature?

Sonny

Reaction score
Website
www.facebook.com
Its hard to say who I like because of how little I read, Dan Brown is always fun, but just doesnt write about the kind of stuff Im interested in anymore, same with Mario Puzo. I really want a good adventure book, something about hitting the road or going nomad, something not to dated. Or something epic like lord of the rings, but not so..lord of the ringsy? lol

Sonny

Reaction score
Website
www.facebook.com
hmm. have you read The Road? by Cormac McCarthy. pretty grim but also a rather beautiful story.

I saw the movie, I really liked it but even though the books probably a billion times better as they tend to be, I want a fresh new story, as ignorant as that might sound.

Reaction score
The outsiders which is a classic. Mr. Was a very good book if you are into time travel!!

zhivago

Reaction score
east of eden is an amazing book.
i like a lot of poetry, frank o'hara particularly.
i love eeeee eee eeeeee by tao lin,
henry rollins' solipsist and black coffee blues
i finished steppenwolf a week ago which was interesting.

Reactions: Mankini

Asar

Reaction score
The Call of the Wild and the Hobbit are the two books I read as a kid that made me want to travel and have some sort of adventurous life. As far as reading after I got older, my favorite and most inspiring book is easily The Snow Leopard by Peter Matthiessen.

Nemo

Reaction score
Get some novels by Kerouac man! He's real easy to read and keeps you interested.

Reactions: Mankini and foxx

CXR1037

I'm a d-bag and got banned.
Banned
Reaction score
The Savage Detective - Roberto Bolaño

That book blew On The Road out of the water.

Also:
- Anything Richard Brautigan (Trout Fishing in America, In Watermelon Sugar, The Abortion, to name a few...)
- Any issue of A Public Space (one of my favorite lit mags)

Reactions: Nemo

lalalazoe

Reaction score
jack kerouac's sexist, but his literature is undeniably inspiring and exciting, and easy to read. there's also Bound for Glory, by Woody Guthrie, which is his autobiography, which is sickkk! AND it has tons to do with the great depression and the old hobo and freight hopping scene back then. also gives you an insight into what childhood was like before we all got so easily brainwashed by mainstream media - videogames, movies, etc. they actually DID shit. theres a sweet, epic chapter about a slingshot battle they have over the kids' fort on a hillside near their town. a lot of old lingo from back then too.
happy reading :D

Reactions: Mankini

Sonny

Reaction score
Website
www.facebook.com
I think im going to pick up a kerouac book, I looked him up and he sound pretty interesting, a lot of people on the internet say on the road and dharma bums are the best, which one would you reccomend?

About us

• Squat the Planet is the world's largest social network for misfit travelers. Join our community of do-it-yourself nomads and learn how to explore the world by any means necessary.

More Info

Latest Library Uploads