1. Not like it changes anything, but we are obligated to inform you that we are using cookies - so, we just did. Learn More.
  2. Hey Guest, this is a reminder to all the folks going to the StP Jamboree to bring your instruments! We're gonna be jamming pretty hard, and we want as many of you as possible to join in! Let us know if you're planning to rock our world by posting in the StP Jamboree thread.

Boat made of 2 liter bottles

Discussion in 'Your Projects & Websites' started by hobopoe, Jan 16, 2014.

1. hobopoe

hobopoe
    Expand Collapse
    One of the Regulars

Achievements:
    Spanger, model, or Seasonal worker.
    Home Page:
    Ratings:
    +39 / -3
    Not exactly the most detailed picture. But gotta make this happen hah. It isn't like there is a shortage of 2 liters or empty bottles.

Attached Files:

• Like Like x 1
  2. Tick Dickler

Tick Dickler
    Expand Collapse
    I deleted myself

Ratings:
    +0 / -0
    ive something simmilar to this, but with big blue plastic jugs/containers? i dont remember that well, long time ago. worked well, till i lost my oar and drifted away to a small islad, lol. i was like 6-7 yrs old. some old guy passed me and tied it to his boat. he offered me to sit in the boat with him but i wanted to sit on the raft instead. he was a cool guy so he sped up. you should have seen my moms face when i came home hauling a plastic raft dragged by some old dude.
    man, those were the good days...

huh, you can change the text color?

3. Cardboard

Cardboard
    Expand Collapse
    I'm a d-bag and got banned.
    Banned

Achievements:
    Ratings:
    +306 / -2
    Do a google for Richard Sowa, or Spiral Island... This guy took this concept to an extreme. (just noticed that matt has a thread about him, coming number one of the similar threads under this one)
    I spent some time building boats, and can tell you this plastic bottle thing is super easy, but also really temporary. The elements will wear out a plastic boat like this in a few months. Even using big 200 litre blue barrels, you should calculate a 6 month life to be safe.
    Also a really good thing to know (if you dont already), is Archimedes' principle, short version is that buoyancy is about displacement, and in constructing your boat, you can know that 1 litre of water (its cool, cause its the base measure for all volume) is equal to 1 kilo of buoyancy. A two litre bottle 2 kilos, and so on. So if you make a boat from 500 2 litre bottles, you can effectively float one metric ton (at the surface level of the water. You could safely float, say, 800 kilos, on a calm lake.)