Question Bivvy or tarp + sleeping bag for snow?

Reaction score
I'm having to replace my gear (except my pad, thankfully)

I have money to burn from a ski resort job but I'd like one bag & one bivvy or tarp for wilderness camping & urban camping. What's the latest on a warm sleeping bag + tarp or bivvy for snow camping? Currently in the Rockies where it's dry snow but I'd love to try Washington or Oregon in a year or two.

I have a 45L pack. I'm tiny so a short bag is ok! :3

Thanks!

Reactions: NamelessExistence

TheTexasRoadrunner

Reaction score
Ok so in your situation here's what I would do.

I would get a MSS ( two military sleeping bags and the bivy) and then get two tarps. If possible make it.two camo tarps. Walmart sells water repellent spray so I'd grab that and spray litterly everything.

If you have a pup let him sleep with you In your sleeping bags. If you have one tarp on the ground then one over you and it's held down right with what you can find , you should be able to hand the snow pretty well.

bote

Reaction score
Having a small tent is worth it imo. I travelled with a bivvy hithchiking cross country in winter before, and it was good to be able to roll out randomly on the side of a road or behind a gas station, but I was just trying to keep moving. Having a little space in a tent to read, fix your gear, or make food is so much better. Also, condensation on the inside of the bivvy was a problem for me. If you have the means to get a baller sleeping bag like this, do it. 0 (-17 C) should be good for most scenarios with a good pair of long johns.

TheDesertMouse

Reaction score
Yeah bivys were only ever meant as a unplanned or even emergency shelter for the side of a mountain. You have to be carefull that your breath vents completley out of the bag, or the inside will be soaked by morning. Shit even then your gonna get condensation from moisture coming off the body. If you have a down sleeping bag this becomes a problem.
I personally carry a ultralight bivy that is breathable on the top half. So its not gonna keep the rain out by any means. And a tarp for wet weather. Specifically a military surplus tarp that doubles as a poncho. It’s a bit annoying to set up because of the hood in the middle. But its durable, has buttons down the sides for using as a poncho AND for converting it to a quick n dirty waterproof bivy. I’ve done that on trains a couple times. This system works well, the ponchotarp is a bit heavy, but its far superior to those shitty blue tarps, and lighter silnylon tarps designed for this purpose are fucking 70$ or more now -_- And its still lighter and smaller then the lightest one man tent that isnt a piece of shit.

I would really concider investing in all 3. A bivy isnt very fun if its actually raining, and you have to remember a bivg isnt going to protect all your gear, that shit is gonna geg soaked. But a bivy and tarp works well. Shi

As far as bags go, 45L is kinda small for a winter synthegic fill bag, if you have alot of stuff you won’t be able to fit that bag in there. Down you will have no problem… but they are expensive. If properly taken care of they can last years. I paid a little under 500$ for a down bag by Western mountaineering that lasted a good 6-7 years of constant traveling, thing was surprisingly well made. I probably saved money in the long run not buying and blowing out multiple shittier bags.

For bivys, this one is, in my and many others opinion the all around best on the market.

The design is nearly perfect, simple, effective, minimal, durable as shit.

This is the bivy I use.

About us

• Squat the Planet is the world's largest social network for misfit travelers. Join our community of do-it-yourself nomads and learn how to explore the world by any means necessary.

More Info

Latest Library Uploads