Better Antenna for Baofeng UV-5R? | Squat the Planet

Better Antenna for Baofeng UV-5R?

TrainingHoppers

Reaction score
I've been looking around recently for another antenna for the Baofeng UV-5R. Yes, I know, the UV-5R is shit as a sole scanner...but it's cheap and it works so to hell with it.

I've gone to RadioReference.com and other sites that are either filled with foamers or a helluva lot of radio nerds. Neither has been extremely helpful to put it lightly.

The basic criteria are it must be able to receive 160-163 VHF band (obviously) and it has to be a female connector, other than that, I'm down for anything you can think of...

The best I've seen are the Nagoya NA-701 and the Secuda (Nagoya) NA-773, but I'm still looking for other options as these aren't the greatest on VHF.

I'll keep searching in the meantime and post an update if I find something...

Thanks in advance!

meatcomputer

Reaction score
Website
bit.ly
Im new to ham radio, got my liscense of few months ago, and use a smiliar handheld boafeng. I don't really have any advice as I'm waiting to get a larger setup entirely for my van and, am maybe mistakenly, assuming that a bigger antennae on the baofeng won't really help my distance that much because its got a really low powered transmitter. I just wanted to say hi and say that I'm happy there are other radio people on this site.

DrewSTNY

Reaction score
I have been using the NA-771 for receiving chatter from the local yard about three miles away from my location. Never tried transmitting with it, although I could on GSM/FRS just to see. Did a quick test once on FRS #1, but nothing significant.

It seems to do pretty well pulling in the dispatcher and passing units, so I've been pretty happy with it. It is long though, so caring it around it's a pain, but it usually sits in the charger on a shelf.

It also does a good job pulling in the local WX transmitter about 10 miles away.

• Useful
Reactions: TrainingHoppers

autumn

Lurker
Reaction score
I forget, but I think those antennas are SMA male. (connector type) Find one that's more closely tuned to the railroad frequency range and you'll get way better range out of it on those frequencies, but worse range on others. The one that comes with it is wideband and suited for all VHF and UHF

• Useful
Reactions: meatcomputer

TrainingHoppers

Reaction score
I forget, but I think those antennas are SMA male. (connector type) Find one that's more closely tuned to the railroad frequency range and you'll get way better range out of it on those frequencies, but worse range on others. The one that comes with it is wideband and suited for all VHF and UHF

I've dug around, they are SMA-F Versions of the antennas. They were specifically remodeled for reselling purposes for Baofeng Tech by Nagoya...

About us

• Squat the Planet is the world's largest social network for misfit travelers. Join our community of do-it-yourself nomads and learn how to explore the world by any means necessary.

More Info

Help us pay the bills!

Total amount
$10.00
Goal
$100.00

Latest Library Uploads