Best Rides Gotten at the Crack of Dawn (1 Viewer)

Current Location
Buffalo Ny
Website
tenglert.com
I've hitchhiked about 50,000 miles in the 80s. USA, Canada, Europe and I usually got the longest friendliest rides at daybreak. I guess all the perverts and criminals are home or passed out and the optimists I surmise are out to start the day. The worst time was in the afternoon when people are coming home with the day's trouble and baggage.

Click here to buy the Anarchist's Guide to Travel!

Brodiesel710

Burrito fund contributor
StP Supporter
Top Poster of the Month
Current Location
Winnemucca, NV
interesting, I can never really figure the when or why somebody stops to pick me up, it always just seems RANDOM. But daybreak makes sense for some reason...

Engineer J Lupo

Increasingly aggressive bro
Staff member
Current Location
530 Rackerby, California
Website
youtu.be
I've never given times of day much thought when it came to hitchhiking but it definitely makes sense. If I think back to any long road trips I've made driving, I usually prefer to get a super early start. Get to that gas station when it's just starting to get light out or even the night before if I'm really prepared. Then you have the entire day ahead of you on the highway. And I think the longer the distance a person can offer you a ride, the more likely they are to pull over for you.

BirdDaddy

Born Wild
StP Supporter
Current Location
Fairfield Idaho.
I've actually thought about this a lot as I've been the commuter before driving to and from work I've been the traveler rubber tramping and I have been the person hitchhiking. I believe the more productive people in life are up earlier the people who are traveling longer distances are also up earlier getting an early start on the day to get the most out of there day. I believe, like it was previously stated optimism has a lot to do with it as well, and people getting up in the morning after a night's sleep and the last days stresses have been alleviated they're more optimistic in the mornings in general. I know I am.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

About us

• Squat the Planet is the world's largest social network for misfit travelers. Join our community of do-it-yourself nomads and learn how to explore the world by any means necessary.

More Info

Support StP!

Donations go towards paying our monthly server fees, adding new features to the website, and occasionally putting a burrito in Matt's mouth.

Total amount
$15.00
Goal
$100.00

Monthly Goals

1. Paying the Bills
    $15.00 of $50.00
    The first $50 in donations go towards paying our monthly server fees and adding new features to the website. Once this goal is reached, we'll see about feeding Matt that burrito.
  2. Buy Matt a Beer
    $15.00 of $75.00
    Now that we have the bills paid for this month, let's give Matt a hearty thank you by buying him a drink for all the hard work he's done for StP. Hopefully his will help keep him from going insane after a long day of squishing website bugs.
  3. Feed Matt a Burrito
    $15.00 of $100.00
    Now that the bills are paid and Matt has a beer in his hand, how about showing him your love by rewarding all his hard work with a big fat burrito to put in his mouth. This will keep him alive while programming new features for the website.
  4. Finance the Shopping Cart
    $15.00 of $200.00
    Now that the bills are paid and Matt is fed, perhaps it's time to start planning for those twilight years under the bridge... if only he had that golden shopping cart all the oogles are bragging about these days.

Latest Status Updates

The self defense group is going so far so great!
Three years of loving and caring, down the backed up toilet.
I feel uncomfortable with all of the transphobic micro-aggressions being thrown around here lately. I also feel uncomfortable standing up in defense of trans folk, me included, in fear of developing discourse without the consequence of proper accountability.
Barf wrote on Brodiesel710's profile.
There's a fish in the percolator
I'm in NYC. What's good? Anyone wanna kick it? Where can I camp without getting hassled?
Roof vent is installed, fixed the side mirror, mounted the solar panels and ran the wires into the van. Currently working on putting in the floor. It's a lot but I'm making steady progress.
Anyone is Portland wanna kick it for a night and get motey'd up?!
Wowzers I'm glad I was off the site for the duration of The Pronoun Thread, as it's been titled. Holy shit. I know for a fact I would have gotten sucked into it and I'm not sure if that would've been a good thing lol
48 hours from HELL, lost thirteen hundred dollars, thats a fuckload on a pension! lost two ducks to the heat, the key for teh vespa is goign to cost an unbelievable amount says the cheerful vespa mechanic,and i need two new tyres, a new belt and rollersaswell! the generator died, wake up, the dogs cold and dead besides me and for the icing on the cake, lost my fucking bankcard and the bank tellers was a twat to me!!!ANYONE nearby bring booze and cigs and cheer!!!!FARRRKKKKKKK
On the side of the road 8 miles from Paint Rock, TX

Members online