Best place to build an illegal cabin?

Section8

Reaction score
From what I gather, the Northern Territories aren't very good for this. In fact, I just read a story about this guy's cabin being demolished in the Yukon. I've read about people doing this in Northern BC, but that was 20-30 years ago, I imagine attitudes have changed. I've also heard about people doing it in Newfoundland. Just curious if anyone knows of someone doing this. Feel free to DM instead.

Rambing Roots

Reaction score
I've had several illegal structures I lived in torn down by the RCMP, most in winter and it was devastating. You can still get land for cheap in the rural Maritimes, loads of hobos and dirty kids including myself have bought land out here and a doing all the cool homesteading shit we always dreamed about doing out west. An acre and a half of forest in my area just sold for $5000 and larger acreages go for an average of $1000 an acre. Its a poors Paradise.

Section8

Reaction score
I've had several illegal structures I lived in torn down by the RCMP, most in winter and it was devastating. You can still get land for cheap in the rural Maritimes, loads of hobos and dirty kids including myself have bought land out here and a doing all the cool homesteading shit we always dreamed about doing out west. An acre and a half of forest in my area just sold for $5000 and larger acreages go for an average of $1000 an acre. Its a poors Paradise.

If you don't mind, whereabouts were these shelters taken down?

Section8

Reaction score
You can legally rent crown land for a cabin in Newfoundland for $100 per year

This is good info.

Edit: I couldn't find any info on this. Could you link a source?

I've actually narrowed down my plan to 3 places. 1. Northwestern Quebec. 2. Innu land in Labrador and 3. Abandoned towns in Newfoundland.

Last edited:
Reactions: laughingman

About us

• Squat the Planet is the world's largest social network for misfit travelers. Join our community of do-it-yourself nomads and learn how to explore the world by any means necessary.

More Info

Latest Library Uploads