StP Supporter
Reaction score
Reactions: Sip
K

Kim Chee

RainCity01-990x500.jpg

Follow @lostateminor
Newsletter
RAINCITY HOUSING CREATE A TRANSIT BENCH THAT TURNS INTO A SHELTER FOR THOSE IN NEED
darwin1-65x65.jpg
CONTRIBUTOR
by Darwin Cosico in New Design on Saturday 4 January 2014
RainCity Housing is a grassroots organisation built around compassion, purpose and a commitment to delivering progressive housing and support solutions for people living with mental illness, addictions and other challenges. To help communicate this, Spring, a Vancouver advertising agency, used basic transit benches – with a few unique modifications.

They created a transit bench that transforms into a temporary shelter for those in desperate need. When the roof is up, RainCity Housing’s address is posted on the inside, along with the message: ‘Find a home here’.

They also created an installation that was printed with UV and glow-in-the-dark ink. In the daytime, the black ink reacts to the sun and becomes legible and then vanishes in the dark. The glow-in-the-dark ink is not legible during the day, but illuminates at night.

wizehop

Chasing the Darkness
Reaction score
Man as nice as the concept is, I bet you dollars to doughnuts the city will take that down in no time.

Odin

ANTISOLIPSIST
Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
It is a good heartfelt idea... but yea the city might bust it up.
I will point out though, and not trying to be negative... but that bench will pretty much just keep you sorta dry from a light rain or snowfall...
I mean in a real downpour with strong wind whipping things sideways... you will still get wet. Unless you find a way to drape that overhang maybe.
I guess if I were to sleep on a bench... I wouldn't sweat the need for that. Though the idea that some people out there give a shit and try to push forward change/help. Is nice.

About us

• Squat the Planet is the world's largest social network for misfit travelers. Join our community of do-it-yourself nomads and learn how to explore the world by any means necessary.

More Info

Help us pay the bills!

Total amount
$20.00
Goal
$100.00

Latest Library Uploads