Beautiful Wooden Sailboat on Craigslist (1 Viewer)

Click here to buy the Anarchist's Guide to Travel!

Jackthereaper

Pilgrim
Current Location
Earth
Down to 15k now. Is that a hit and miss 7hp? Or throttle governed? Wood boats are so much work though.

OP
Dunedrifter

Dunedrifter

Current Location
Eureka, California
Yeah, I know wood boats are a LOT more work than fiberglass. I sent him some questions, and he said it’s a “hit and miss”...I honestly don’t know if that’s a good or bad engine. All of the boating forums seem to say DO NOT buy a wood boat. Sigh.

Jackthereaper

Pilgrim
Current Location
Earth
Yea, as sweeeeeeet a boat as that is it would be a labor of love to keep her running and if any restoration is necessary i hope you have good tools. Hit and miss engines are old school farm engines that run by holding the exhaust valve open till the rpm drops to a certain threshold and then closing the valve so the engine doesnt stall. Huge flywheel keeps the whole thing rotating a while and holds energy.

CrowTheBard

Current Location
Lopez Island
Beautiful rig and sail plan, aweful hull. Short, fat, pig of a boat with fat ends and too much beam carries far too long. Her entry and run are a mess. In short: she’ll roll like a devil in any kind of sea, will be slow on all points of sail, and will struggle so fiercely to make any gains to weather...gods help you if there’s any kind of chop!

Hard pass!

BUT you’ve got a keen eye for old world boats. Don’t give up your search! There’s a dandy waiting out there for you!

Cheers,
Crow

CrowTheBard

Current Location
Lopez Island
Fuck the more I look at that hull...run away fast lol

No foredeck (shitty to work ground tackle)
Split cabin (wtf?)
Centerboard (why? Unless you’re gunkholing super shallow water, why have the trouble? Or listen to that thing bang around all night every night?)
Hull shape (I can’t get past this. It’s like someone saw a boat, once, then said “yeah I can build one” and did it all from that one memory, having seen no other boats, ever.) lol
Too much freeboard (can’t reed your hull and cabin when shit gets kicked up! Aka sails you can’t take in!)

Guy wants an insane amount of money for what is essentially a toy boat and not a boat that could handle any kind of real voyaging or crusing or weather lol.

Cheers,
Crow

OP
Dunedrifter

Dunedrifter

Current Location
Eureka, California
Geez, show’s how little I know about wooden boats! Thanks for the head’s up for sure! btw, the price dropped to 10K lol. Maybe I should go with fiberglass until I know what the fuck I’m into lol

OP
Dunedrifter

Dunedrifter

Current Location
Eureka, California
It’s down to $6k! It must be really fucked. It’s no wonder he’s promoting the “live aboard” aspect! Poor fella

iamwhatiam

Burrito fund contributor
StP Supporter
Current Location
Darrington, WA
It’s down to $6k! It must be really fucked. It’s no wonder he’s promoting the “live aboard” aspect! Poor fella
Yeah man. I wasn't gonna say anything....but... don't do it! LMAO. He's asking waaay too much money for that and no one is buying it still for a reason. It's his baby, his project that he built, and so of course he feels like it's worth more than it is.

CrowTheBard

Current Location
Lopez Island
Ok, ok, now we are playing a different game.

Offer him $4000 and go sailing. Strip and sell all the parts when done. Or keep the rig and hardware and build a new hull. Or take the rig and hardware and put it on another, better hull that’s already built but has no rig...or?

Cheap boats don’t have to be perfect by any stretch. If I could see it in person I’d be more inclined to comment on alll the cool stuff. You could live and cruise that boat up here for exsmple, but you’d want to ship it up on s truck haha. Or ship it down to the Sea of Cortez and cruise there.

Cheap boats at least get you sailing. And at least that one looks cool while doing it lol.

Cheers,
Crow

OP
Dunedrifter

Dunedrifter

Current Location
Eureka, California
Ok, ok, now we are playing a different game.

Offer him $4000 and go sailing. Strip and sell all the parts when done. Or keep the rig and hardware and build a new hull. Or take the rig and hardware and put it on another, better hull that’s already built but has no rig...or?

Cheap boats don’t have to be perfect by any stretch. If I could see it in person I’d be more inclined to comment on alll the cool stuff. You could live and cruise that boat up here for exsmple, but you’d want to ship it up on s truck haha. Or ship it down to the Sea of Cortez and cruise there.

Cheap boats at least get you sailing. And at least that one looks cool while doing it lol.

Cheers,
Crow[/

OP
Dunedrifter

Dunedrifter

Current Location
Eureka, California
At this price it would make a sweet live aboard with the slip fee of $300/mo. including water sewer and electricity. Cheaper than any rents here by far, but who knows what expensive underlying problems exist.

Dameon

Burrito fund contributor
StP Supporter
Current Location
Northern California
At this price it would make a sweet live aboard with the slip fee of $300/mo. including water sewer and electricity. Cheaper than any rents here by far, but who knows what expensive underlying problems exist.
Only takes one hull failure to put the boat underwater and more or less ruin it and leave you with an expensive mess and a pissed off harbormaster. You can buy boats for that price that aren't homemade wrecks. If you keep an eye out, you can buy a 30' sloop made of fiberglass that actually fully works for $6k or less, rather than buying a wooden boat that will likely have underwater rot issues and will cost you $20k to get into a shape you can rely on.

https://miami.craigslist.org/mdc/boa/d/marco-island-38-pearson-invicta-sailboat/6803079801.html
https://miami.craigslist.org/pbc/boa/d/west-palm-beach-1973-cc-39-sailboat/6801738605.html
https://miami.craigslist.org/mdc/boa/d/key-largo-must-sellft-cal-2-29-andft/6797924150.html
https://seattle.craigslist.org/tac/boa/d/ingrid-38-cutter-sailboat-must-go-7999/6814293894.html
https://seattle.craigslist.org/see/boa/d/bremerton-1975-ranger-29-mull-design/6811971229.html
https://seattle.craigslist.org/see/boa/d/bremerton-1976-nicholson-33/6811968214.html

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

About us

• Squat the Planet is the world's largest social network for misfit travelers. Join our community of do-it-yourself nomads and learn how to explore the world by any means necessary.

More Info

Support StP!

Donations go towards paying our monthly server fees, adding new features to the website, and occasionally putting a burrito in Matt's mouth.

Total amount
$45.00
Goal
$100.00

Monthly Goals

1. Paying the Bills
    $45.00 of $50.00
    The first $50 in donations go towards paying our monthly server fees and adding new features to the website. Once this goal is reached, we'll see about feeding Matt that burrito.
  2. Buy Matt a Beer
    $45.00 of $75.00
    Now that we have the bills paid for this month, let's give Matt a hearty thank you by buying him a drink for all the hard work he's done for StP. Hopefully his will help keep him from going insane after a long day of squishing website bugs.
  3. Feed Matt a Burrito
    $45.00 of $100.00
    Now that the bills are paid and Matt has a beer in his hand, how about showing him your love by rewarding all his hard work with a big fat burrito to put in his mouth. This will keep him alive while programming new features for the website.
  4. Finance the Shopping Cart
    $45.00 of $200.00
    Now that the bills are paid and Matt is fed, perhaps it's time to start planning for those twilight years under the bridge... if only he had that golden shopping cart all the oogles are bragging about these days.

Latest Status Updates

Damn sore riding my bicycle over 60 some miles Sunday! Laid in my tent all day Monday resting! Bike touring at its best. Gotta love it!
Asheville, looking to hang out? Peace
Made it to chicago, had a blast. Got a bike a new bike at the squat i stayed at. So far ive been at the wsp hopout for 12 hours and not a single wbd has shown up.
Yeah remember when I said I'm going off grid for a while? Didn't last long, fucked my back up real bad and apparently I also have an enlarged heart, pretty cool. More love to give maybe? So they admitted me. I'll be on hospital grid for at least a day. Low battery and no charger though, so I'mma leave y'all with a cliffhanger probably. Will try to update before heading back out to the sticks.
100% off-grid for roughly 2 weeks? I'll try to pop in here and there if I get any trips to town. Safe travels y'all. And even if you're just sittin around talkin bout "yeah gonna hit the road in about 6 months maybe" y'all be safe doin that too alright. Armchairs be dangerous yo!
SlankyLanky wrote on EndTimesCommunityWorship's profile.
So we have a gallery section that you might consider looking at to post pictures to. It might be more convenient for other users if the newest profile posts wernt all imgur photos from you.

Staff online

Members online