bashful lurker seeking atonement

ficklepicker

Reaction score
hey folks,

you can call me fickle. presently I live with some awesome friends in the beautiful forest hills of the PioneerValley in Western Massachusetts. one day i was at the library and i happened to look over and inadvertantly lurk on some beautiful scumfuck i'd seen around & was totally crushing on at the public computer with some shit like squash the plants or something on the screen, so i thought, hey i'll have to see what that's all about. since then i've been lurking around for some time (oops). i went on a very vaguely planned tripped to see the Redwoods with my sweetie last fall and would peruse this site for ideas & inspiration. since we had planned very little beyond just getting out West it pointed us to some incredibly useful resources, to where eventually we were more or less getting around by going from state to state trying to figure out which of the lil spots on freecampsites were nearby. a sincere thank you for the sharing with that one!

i recently made it a goal of mine to start studying the rails around here in WeMA. i find myself very romantically & idealistically drawn to the idea of hopping as an alternative to getting places without relying on the ol' personal oil wagon (i'm sure many of you know what i am talking about), but to be honest i have reservations about whether i would really have the salt so to speak. i have thyroid disorder & gotta take synthetic hormones everyday so unfortunately it makes me feel uncertain if i could stay healthy & not go crazy out there. i know some kids around here who ride & i kind of admire from a distance but i'm not generally the type of person to suddenly try to be all buddy-buddy because i want something from you. i haven't really gotten around too much in the past quarter-century outside of the Northeast, but since my trip out West I definitely would love to see the diversity of land and bioregions in other parts of the country. I'm dead broke these days but just got a job again recently so hopefully I can get some resources together and get out there again sometime soon. if anyone has any guidance or experience with hopping in/out of/around New England, I'm all ears.

in the very least, i much prefer the community dialogue here to the weird formality of that couchsurfing shit anyday, even if i do end up continuing to be mostly a lurker. thanx for letting me in.

to adventure & our collective liberation! y'all are rad. cheers

Last edited:

Matt Derrick

Retired Wanderer
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
youtube.com
hey man, welcome to the site, and thanks for shaing how you got here, i love hearing those stories.

as for the train hopping thing, i woudn't worry too much about fully committing to the train hopping lifestyle, i mean you could just ride a train or two as short distance just for the hell of it (just don't get caught!). and if it's not something you can do, there's plenty of other ways to get around, and as you mentioned, driving around and living in a vehicle is frankly one of the best ways in my opinion.

in fact that's how i get around the majority of the time nowadays (spent most of my 20's hopping around the US and eventually got a bit bored of it).

but anyways, look around, post some questions/answers, and get to know the place now that you're no longer a lurker :p

(by the way, 'troll' is a term for someone on the internet that harasses people for personal enjoyment, so i'd say 'lurker' is a bit more accurate :D)

Tude

Sometimes traveler is traveling.
Reaction score
Very cool intro! and welcome to STP - and the word "ficklepicker" made me smile :)

Reactions: VikingAdventurer

About us

• Squat the Planet is the world's largest social network for misfit travelers. Join our community of do-it-yourself nomads and learn how to explore the world by any means necessary.

More Info

Latest Library Uploads