Barstow to Lone Pine

magbag28

Reaction score
I've recently been training to do Mt. Whitney and have pretty much all the gear I need to. I would start in Barstow and hitch west to Kramer jct then north to Lone pine. Anyone done this before and had any luck? I would have to get to Barstow by freight but that shouldn't be a challenge, I'm just a little worried about the heat in Barstow/Kramer

rep3chic

Reaction score
I've recently been training to do Mt. Whitney and have pretty much all the gear I need to. I would start in Barstow and hitch west to Kramer jct then north to Lone pine. Anyone done this before and had any luck? I would have to get to Barstow by freight but that shouldn't be a challenge, I'm just a little worried about the heat in Barstow/Kramer

You have good reason to worry about the heat. I'm very close to Barstow and the heat had been completely overwhelming. Couple record breaking days of almost 120 degrees but mostly around 112. I wouldn't plan any hiking until after the summer. Stay safe

sevedemanos

Reaction score
barstow was not fun. wouldve stayed on to vegas but was out of water and the walk from the tracks was brutal. take two gallons of water

good luck hitching.. the greyhound stops up the drag near mcdonalds, in back

TheDesertMouse

Reaction score
I’ve done this route both ways and it can be a bitch to get a ride. I waited 3 days in inyokern before giving up and getting a bus. Tied for my personal worst hitching wait ever.
In this heat? No fucking way, it would be stupid to try at anytime but dark, and good luck with that.

I would suggest hopping north to bakersfield, then hitching up via lake isabella to inyokern. Avoid getting dropped in inyokern if at all possible. But if you can’t there is a bus to lone pine for 19$ =\ Mammoth Lakes to Lancaster (395 South) - https://www.estransit.com/mammoth-lakes-to-lancaster-395-south

Are you going for the mountaineers route? If not you could literally hike out of lake isabella and follow the kern valley strait to the backside of the mountain, the PCT will get you to the same area aswell. A far more enjoyable journey, albeit longer.

magbag28

Reaction score
I’ve done this route both ways and it can be a bitch to get a ride. I waited 3 days in inyokern before giving up and getting a bus. Tied for my personal worst hitching wait ever.
In this heat? No fucking way, it would be stupid to try at anytime but dark, and good luck with that.

I would suggest hopping north to bakersfield, then hitching up via lake isabella to inyokern. Avoid getting dropped in inyokern if at all possible. But if you can’t there is a bus to lone pine for 19$ =\ Mammoth Lakes to Lancaster (395 South) - https://www.estransit.com/mammoth-lakes-to-lancaster-395-south

Are you going for the mountaineers route? If not you could literally hike out of lake isabella and follow the kern valley strait to the backside of the mountain, the PCT will get you to the same area aswell. A far more enjoyable journey, albeit longer.

I am not going the mountaineering route, I'm trying to start from Cottonwood Lakes and up an army pass then head north. Getting there is the larger issue, as having to time permits without a surefire arrival time might be difficult.

I'm currently in SD and have ridden freight North before, but never past San Bernardino, so I'm not sure how timing works to Barstow. It usually arrives early in the morning in SBD, but I'm not sure how long it sits in the yard for.

I'm scared of getting caught out in the heat and not being able to get a ride, especially in a place like Barstow.

About us

• Squat the Planet is the world's largest social network for misfit travelers. Join our community of do-it-yourself nomads and learn how to explore the world by any means necessary.

More Info

Latest Library Uploads