Asia Adventure | Squat the Planet

Asia Adventure

Mongo

Reaction score
Next month me and my girlfriend will be flying out of San Francisco and flying into Jakarta to start our little Asia adventure. so far we have tickets to jakarta then we'll be traveling north and taking a plane from Indonesia to malaysia. That's about as much as we have set in stone, other then that from malaysia we plan on heading west to India then backtracking east and going through Burma, Cambodia and all that south east area and through China. Then we'll be flying to South Korea to visit a friend who's been there for over a year. Then we'll fly into Japan to go to Tokyo not so much to hang out there, but because the tickets from Tokyo are the cheapest back to the states. We will be trying to spend as little time as possible in Japan since it is so horribly expensive there.

This trip is going to be the next nine months of my life and I'll try to document it as best as I can for all you folks.

Does anyone have any tips for traveling through these countries? is there any thing in particular that I should see?

K

Kim Chee

Korean food is the best I've ever had. If you like meat, be sure to have some shortrib.
Have fun and be safe. Sorry I don't have personal experience to offer.

Matt Derrick

Retired Wanderer
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
youtube.com
Damn dude, that is some exciting stuff. I'm super jealous! I'm curious, how did you save up for this trip, and how much did you save? I wish i had some advice for ya, but i'm a total noob in that realm of the world.

But yeah, if you wouldn't mind keeping us updated (and post some pics!) that would be fantabulous :)

Mongo

Reaction score
Damn dude, that is some exciting stuff. I'm super jealous! I'm curious, how did you save up for this trip, and how much did you save? I wish i had some advice for ya, but i'm a total noob in that realm of the world.

But yeah, if you wouldn't mind keeping us updated (and post some pics!) that would be fantabulous :)

Most of the money is coming from a workers comp claim from working at salmon processing plants in alaska. I saved a bunch while driving taxi. going in we'll have about $10,000 in our bank accounts. probably gonna be coming back broke though.

wizehop

Chasing the Darkness
Reaction score
Dude, Asia is awesome and India is pretty insane. You will have the time of your life. I've never flown into Jakarta but I know a lot of countries in Asia require you to have a return ticket booked, or at least prof that you intend to leave the country before you can get in. I have never actually been check upon arrival but here in North America and in Europe they have checked my tickets and made sure before letting me board.
Make sure you double check your visa requirements and flight requirements. Also countries like India take a few weeks to hand out a visa. SO if I were you I would get them before leaving home. Everywhere else is pretty chill with most countries giving you visas on entry.
That Being said countries like Cambodia charge 20 USD for a one moth visa on entry, where as if I was to get one at the embassy here in North america its 80 USD. Just keep ahead of the game and read up on shit before hand and youl be fine.

Tude

Sometimes traveler is traveling.
Reaction score
Wow!! awesome trip!!

Mongo

Reaction score
Make sure you double check your visa requirements and flight requirements. Also countries like India take a few weeks to hand out a visa. SO if I were you I would get them before leaving home.

Thanks for reminding me on India's processing time for a visa it had completely slipped my mind. I had read up and priced out the cost of visas for individual countries and do plan on staying one step ahead of the game.

Cardboard

I'm a d-bag and got banned.
Banned
Reaction score
I havent been myself, but have heard about a lot of common destinations over there. That said, I would try to research these places, and avoid them like the plague. It seems there is a trail of money and tourist zones that every american and european ends up on, and while it sounds amazing, it seems a tad inauthentic to me. I would recommend to try to get off the beaten path, dont follow the typical suggestions, and see what you can find over there.
I have a friend who has been living in Jakarta for a long time now, she got quite a celebrity status over there for being blonde and speaking the language, and even had a travel show on the national television station (this is some crazy punk artist traveling girl that I used to live in a collective warehouse squat with...). I can ask her for some suggestions if you like, send me a pm :)

Cirno9

Reaction score
Nice bro, I plan on doing the same but more for 1.5 to 2 years after I finish school (im funding it with the grant money) / bum it around the states a bit more (south east/north east). I should be leaving with 7-10 grand possibly more but still same as you and when hostels are 5 dollars a day in some of these places its very attractive! I wish you the best of luck man! Please do write about some of the adventures you have if not at least some pics :).

Mongo

Reaction score
Update on this? I assume your still in Asia?

I'm back in the states now. We ran out of money in Vietnam and came back mid December. here are some pics there are some more I will upload later all of these are in Indonesia. I only have pics up until Malaysia because The camera was lost in Thailand

Attachments

• a day out snorkling.jpg
    a day out snorkling.jpg
    78.1 KB · Views: 367
  • building.jpg
    building.jpg
    86 KB · Views: 387
  • demonstartion2.jpg
    demonstartion2.jpg
    97 KB · Views: 376
  • demonstration1.jpg
    demonstration1.jpg
    143.8 KB · Views: 471
  • fishing boat.jpg
    fishing boat.jpg
    51.8 KB · Views: 389
  • greased tree climbing.jpg
    greased tree climbing.jpg
    154.6 KB · Views: 419
  • greasedtree climbing 2.jpg
    greasedtree climbing 2.jpg
    131.8 KB · Views: 343
  • I want to live in it.jpg
    I want to live in it.jpg
    63.2 KB · Views: 379
  • jakarta.jpg
    jakarta.jpg
    51.2 KB · Views: 393
  • jakarta2.jpg
    jakarta2.jpg
    46.3 KB · Views: 407
  • jakarta3.jpg
    jakarta3.jpg
    44.3 KB · Views: 333
  • jambi.jpg
    jambi.jpg
    107.1 KB · Views: 320
  • knitted bench.jpg
    knitted bench.jpg
    104.5 KB · Views: 387
  • lampung banana lady.jpg
    lampung banana lady.jpg
    105.4 KB · Views: 333
  • random mosqu.jpg
    random mosqu.jpg
    72.5 KB · Views: 349
  • ridho and I.jpg
    ridho and I.jpg
    87.1 KB · Views: 367
  • shop.jpg
    shop.jpg
    89.2 KB · Views: 367
  • somewhere along the highway to medan.jpg
    somewhere along the highway to medan.jpg
    140.7 KB · Views: 338
Reactions: Gonx and cookieoh

About us

• Squat the Planet is the world's largest social network for misfit travelers. Join our community of do-it-yourself nomads and learn how to explore the world by any means necessary.

More Info

Help us pay the bills!

Total amount
$10.00
Goal
$100.00

Latest Library Uploads