Older Than Dirt

Wayfarer
Current Location
Upstate

Dameon

Hobo
Current Location
Northern California
I used to live out there; I know everybody in that article. Serious problems with meth in that community, a lot of theft and messed up bullshit. A lot of people using boats that barely float as just an alternative to being homeless.

OP
Older Than Dirt

Older Than Dirt

Wayfarer
Current Location
Upstate
A boat barely afloat still sounds maybe better than a doorway or tent. Though i suppose doorways seldom sink and drown folks.

As an ex-speedfreak, cooking up a shot or even holding any meth on a boat seems challenging. The biker speed we used to get from the Pagans (PA/NJ bikers) back in the '80s used to turn to gooey sluglike jelly in humidity, so not so nautical a drug. Perhaps modern speed is more boating-friendly.

Reactions: Juan Derlust

Dameon

Hobo
Current Location
Northern California
A boat barely afloat still sounds maybe better than a doorway or tent. Though i suppose doorways seldom sink and drown folks.

As an ex-speedfreak, cooking up a shot or even holding any meth on a boat seems challenging. The biker speed we used to get from the Pagans (PA/NJ bikers) back in the '80s used to turn to gooey sluglike jelly in humidity, so not so nautical a drug. Perhaps modern speed is more boating-friendly.
Sure, a boat is better shelter than nothing, until you wind up with a boat that's sinking during a storm where your anchoring choices have left the Coast Guard 50 feet or less to maneuver safely, and you're not a sailor and you need rescue because you aren't prepared for how windy and violent Richardson's Bay can be. I understand why people look for places they can live without getting fucked with, but moving into anchorages on derelict boats just because it's better than sleeping in a doorway just fucks everything for everybody, while placing your own life at risk. If you want to do boats, then do it right.

Juan Derlust

Vagabond
Current Location
Limbo
img_1865-png.50025_Article about folks living on on boats in Richardson Bay Sausolito_Boat Punk / Sailing_Squat the Planet_9:51 AM
Reading that article, I can't help imagining someone with a subscription to Harper's reclining in their BarcaLounger, sipping brandy from a snifter, feeling they have a thorough grasp of 'the homeless situation'. Always good to get a little insider perspective - thank you Dameon