Question Are there any good options for stealth camping in NOLA?

Otter

Stateless Wanderer
Reaction score
I've been thinking of heading to NOLA for a bit. I usually camp out in green space, but it doesn't look like I would have many options in the city.

Where do folks sleep when they want to be left alone? Anyone have any advice?

Reactions: thdoctada and EJO

BlackJack

Reaction score
Growing up in NOLA, it's pretty much tent city underneath the I-10 overpass and Pontchartrain Expressway. Driven pass them hundreds of times, but I can't vouch for how safe they are.

You can access City Park 24 hours and there may be some good hiding spots as it is a huge park. Keep your distance from homebums kids. Kids always give you the most trouble in this city.

On another note, there are plenty of gutter punks on Frenchman and Decatur St.. If you're friendly with them, they may point out some squats.

Last edited:

BlackJack

Reaction score
Sorry, I meant homebums and kids, not homebums kids. It won't let me edit for some reason, but I felt the post needed some clarity.

When I say kids, I am referring the ones that are 15 - 17 years old. They will throw rocks and bottles at you, jump you & rob you blind, and even pull out guns and possibly shoot you. It's really a shame. I guess they're trying to prove themselves with their friends and gang members. Just be wise, mind your business, and lay low. It's gotten better over the years and the city is getting gentrified, post Katrina. I remember as a kid there were neighborhoods you would never set foot in, but nowadays the same neighborhoods are hipster city, especially the 9th ward (Bywater).

About us

• Squat the Planet is the world's largest social network for misfit travelers. Join our community of do-it-yourself nomads and learn how to explore the world by any means necessary.

More Info

Latest Library Uploads