Anyone spent time at the grand canyon? | Squat the Planet

Anyone spent time at the grand canyon?

D

Deleted member 20240

So, first off, sorry if this is in the wrong section. And if there is already a thread specifically concerning this matter, I was not able to filter it. At the end of the month im finally heading out. Meeting up with an old friend in flagstaff and heading to the grand canyon before saying suck it to Arizona. It's a pain in the ass to get a back country permit and im wondering if anyone has dodged the system at the canyon and spent thier time there camped for free. Also, is there a way to dodge the entrance fees? Any advice would be greatly appretiated.
- Peace homies!

BelleBottoms

Reaction score
You could try asking around in Williams for a gate reciept. The park allows 7 days of re-entry when you purchase admition, but most people are only there one day. Many visitors stay overnight in one of the dozen Williams hotels before leaving the area.
I watched the sunrise over Bryce Canyon by driving in the front unmanned gate at 4 AM. Sun came up at 6ish, I drove out at 7AM just as the gate guard was unlocking the booth.
I slept in a couple of the Nat.Parks lodge parking lots in my truck and used the facilities in the morning to dodge the camping fees.

• Useful
Reactions: Matt Derrick

Chazten

Reaction score
Don't know how soon your heading up but April 21st is a free national park day! We're actually in flagstaff now just hanging out in the woods we'll be in the Grand Canyon that day

Preacher

Reaction score
Yeah, camped for a week for free right outside the park on Coconino Rd/Fire Rd 310 at
35°57'42.1"N 111°57'40.7"W
It runs right into the middle of the park/Rt. 64/Desert View Drive, through the old abandoned South Park Entrance. As long as you are past the shack that used to be the park entrance you are in the Kaibab National Forest, not the Grand Canyon park. We camped about a half mile past the shed, right off the road. There is a septic toilet a quarter mile further down the road at the Grandview Lookout Tower. I came in by the "newer" South Entrance and paid the fee since I would be in and out so much during the week with my van. But saved a ton on camping and was RIGHT THERE. Though I did stay 3 days past the expiration and didn't get ding'd. Lots of elk carcasses and would swear I heard a cougar snarl one night when I came out to clean up from cooking chicken over the fire for dinner. Said fuck that and went right back inside, lol. We were the only ones on the whole stretch camping. Maybe 4 or 5 people would drive by a day. Rangers did drive by but never stopped. FYI, it's a dirt road that is very passable, but a class A did slide off the road because the driver was an asshat. He managed to get pulled back on by a Ranger.He shouldn't have been back there anyway.
080815 01.jpg

• Useful
Reactions: Matt Derrick

Coywolf

Make America Freight Again
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
Yeah, camped for a week for free right outside the park on Coconino Rd/Fire Rd 310 at
35°57'42.1"N 111°57'40.7"W
It runs right into the middle of the park/Rt. 64/Desert View Drive, through the old abandoned South Park Entrance. As long as you are past the shack that used to be the park entrance you are in the Kaibab National Forest, not the Grand Canyon park. We camped about a half mile past the shed, right off the road. There is a septic toilet a quarter mile further down the road at the Grandview Lookout Tower. I came in by the "newer" South Entrance and paid the fee since I would be in and out so much during the week with my van. But saved a ton on camping and was RIGHT THERE. Though I did stay 3 days past the expiration and didn't get ding'd. Lots of elk carcasses and would swear I heard a cougar snarl one night when I came out to clean up from cooking chicken over the fire for dinner. Said fuck that and went right back inside, lol. We were the only ones on the whole stretch camping. Maybe 4 or 5 people would drive by a day. Rangers did drive by but never stopped. FYI, it's a dirt road that is very passable, but a class A did slide off the road because the driver was an asshat. He managed to get pulled back on by a Ranger.He shouldn't have been back there anyway. View attachment 42577

This^

I was going to recommend the same thing.

D

Deleted member 20240

Glad I decided to look at my own thread. Not getting notifications for it, for some reason. Gotta fix that. Thanks for the advice, all. You rock!

About us

• Squat the Planet is the world's largest social network for misfit travelers. Join our community of do-it-yourself nomads and learn how to explore the world by any means necessary.

More Info

Help us pay the bills!

Total amount
$10.00
Goal
$100.00

Latest Library Uploads