Anyone in upstate ny? | Squat the Planet

Anyone in upstate ny?

Spawn1993

Reaction score
04BF53EB-0EB5-4E85-82E1-6F77B29BA84B.jpeg Hi

Im about an hour out of Rochester NY in a pretty secluded small farm town until the end of summer, not much mobility until I get my license. So anyway, that’s part of why I’m here, seeing if there’s anyone who hitchhikes or hops trains that would want to meet up and maybe be willing to mentor a newb.

I’m 29 so I guess at this point I’m looking for travel partners who do things safely, aren’t heavy into drinking/drugs (no shade just that I wanna move away from that into better situations), and aren’t expecting sex or romance. Ive always been drawn to this but people and partners just thought it was a bad idea so I let the fear and desire to stay connected hold me back for a while. Now I’m seriously considering, as the trying to be normal thing hasn’t worked out. I don’t think traveling homeless doesn’t come with its own problems.. and I can imagine I might try again to be more stationary in the future.. but after my last relationship ended my perspective changed and I feel more freedom to explore.

I’m currently staying with some supportive family members, who I’m grateful for, but it’s not a situation I want to stay in for too long. I get inspired thinking about experiencing the freedom to move around without the restrictions of rent and a stationary job. I’m also eventually looking for a place or places and communities that could become more a part of my life eventually. The things I wanna do are collaborate artistically with people, maybe sell some prints, do makeup and henna, and learn instruments (my little brother is teaching me the ukulele and I’m thinking of starting with a banjo).
I want to move away from this cold, overcast Rochester weather and head south and west. Any suggestions? Rough ideas are some towns in NC, going thru the rockies, maybe Nola, heading towards the southwest and then up thru CA and OR from there.

Anyone wanna meet up or have some general feedback🙂?
F70940B8-8A11-4DAE-9CC5-BAC8441E358A.jpeg

Daisy

Reaction score
Hi welcome to STP, that's cool you want to go out and explore. I would suggest trying to figure out a time and iron out a place you want to travel to first and make a quick post in road dog meet up (I'm kind of jealous that you're in upstate New York right now lol.) I'd recommend trying to maybe meet other woman who are familiar with travel if you're looking for a mentor so you can avoid a lot of drama and vulnerability from strange men. I'd say definitely take the time that your stationary to really figure out some things that you want to do and save some money from work to try and do a couple of those things but have like one main goal. If you're lucky by the time you get to that place you'll find some more work for awhile to keep traveling. Anyway good luck and stay safe!

Spawn1993

Reaction score
im about to hop with someone from this sub soon (hopefully) and they're gonna vet me. they said anyone can come as long as ur chill and not crazy haha. so if we make it up north (they wanna go up there to escape the summer heat), and ur still there, im sure u can come with us if u want :)
That’s exciting! If you’re gonna make it up around here for sure let me know, I’d love to :)

Last edited:

Dood420

Reaction score
I'm in Binghamton, but, I'm not in any spot to hop or hitch. There's a few spots though. If you end up this way let me know there's a few army navy stores I was thinking about looking at for gear, but, haven't met anyone focused on travelling so I haven't gone. It might help you.

Reactions: CarnalPriestess

Spawn1993

Reaction score
im about to hop with someone from this sub soon (hopefully) and they're gonna vet me. they said anyone can come as long as ur chill and not crazy haha. so if we make it up north (they wanna go up there to escape the summer heat), and ur still there, im sure u can come with us if u want :)
orrrr if u have a little cash, we can all meet halfway to each other thru greyhound!

Thanks for the invite💕 I have a couple commitments April/ may but if you know details message me maybe I can figure something out, or at least I’ll be good to go like end of august/ start of September after a gardening job

Reactions: tiggyzars

Raleslicr

Reaction score
Fuckin send it girl!

I'd meet up but I'm already heading west. There's a nice ride from Cleveland to Rochester which I've been wanting to do but weather has been shitty. I definitely recommend waiting till the rain clears up in a week or 2, it's a lot more of a head ache and hard to move if you are dealing with rain 5/7 days of the week.

I definitely understand your motivations, and it goes without being said, be safe and there's always a better ride. Haste can get you in bad situations. Hope you make it where you wanna go. Ppl saying have a destination. You can just post up at an on ramp and stick your thumb, I realize it's less about destination and more about direction haha, you got 4 options vs 100,000's cities and land marks.

After I finish my season, I'm seriously considering hardcore tramping and letting the wind blow me, I'm tired of making plans.

Best of luck, stay safe and get a marker or markall and tag where you been!

Spawn1993

Reaction score
Fuckin send it girl!

I'd meet up but I'm already heading west. There's a nice ride from Cleveland to Rochester which I've been wanting to do but weather has been shitty. I definitely recommend waiting till the rain clears up in a week or 2, it's a lot more of a head ache and hard to move if you are dealing with rain 5/7 days of the week.

I definitely understand your motivations, and it goes without being said, be safe and there's always a better ride. Haste can get you in bad situations. Hope you make it where you wanna go. Ppl saying have a destination. You can just post up at an on ramp and stick your thumb, I realize it's less about destination and more about direction haha, you got 4 options vs 100,000's cities and land marks.

After I finish my season, I'm seriously considering hardcore tramping and letting the wind blow me, I'm tired of making plans.

Best of luck, stay safe and get a marker or markall and tag where you been!

Thanks 4 the tips 💚 best of luck to you too give me a heads up if you ever take the trip up to Rochester

Reactions: Raleslicr

japanarchist

Reaction score
If your into doing farm work and learning about gardening/agriculture/permaculture/ etc then I recommend trying WWOOF, WorkAway or something like that. Sign up, find places you can work at in areas and states you want to travel to, and that way you can have a place to stay, have some food, learn different things, potentially make friends, and you can explore the different places you go to on your down time and still have some stability by having the farms to live at.

That’s what I did the first time I traveled on my own and it worked out amazing for me.

About us

• Squat the Planet is the world's largest social network for misfit travelers. Join our community of do-it-yourself nomads and learn how to explore the world by any means necessary.

More Info

Help us pay the bills!

Total amount
$10.00
Goal
$100.00

Latest Library Uploads